SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Recommendations for a good single stack 9mm for carry
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a good single stack 9mm for carry Login/Join 
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
I think you made a good choice with the Shield. I have both the 9 and a 40. It may be just me, but the 40 seems to shoot softer than my G23 or P229, not much different than the 9. I can't explain it, it defies logic, but that's my take. I sometimes carry the Shield in summer and as a result I carry the 40. Both have been 100% reliable out of the box with no breakin with an assortment of FMJ and JHP ammo. I carry IWB but did put a grip glove on them as I have big hands.

Sigs
HKs
S&Ws
Rugers
Steyrs
1911s

Posts: 71 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Good choice. My wife loves hers and I was very fond of mine as well.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Late to the party, but I picked up a Springfield Armory XDs 3.3" 9mm about a year ago. I love the thing. Very compact, thin, 8+1, and disappears under an UnderArmor shirt.

My wife wants one now. She shot mine and a G43, but shot better with mine.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 9552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

...My wife wants one now...

Sign up for PSA emails. They're $415 now with free shipping, but IIRC there was a much better daily deal on them last week

http://palmettostatearmory.com...tials-xds9339se.html

Posts: 11908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
P225 or S&W 3913 are some of the best single stacks out there in my opinion. The P239 never did it for me, it seemed fat and top heavy.

Posts: 6137 | Location: DFW is home but currently in PHX | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dewhorse P225 or P6 if you can find one.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 5628 | Location: 35 59'19"N 79 58'33"W | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Xds

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 6020 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Standing in the Clue Field with little to no success.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mosquito:
I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. I went to my local FFL dealer yesterday and they had most of these available to handle.

After spending time with each of them, I came home with a Shield, in 9mm, no safety. I'm looking forward to getting some range time with it, and then seeing how well it carries.

Thanks again!

Good choice!

Posts: 48 | Registered: March 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did have a SW 3913 TSW no rail was a gem.

Posts: 285 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good choice! I really like my Shield and for the money and fit, I found it a better deal than the G43 even though I'm a big Glock fan.

I really like the TTGunleather Mike's Special thin for carry.

Looking for an Alaskan Malamute? Look here: http://www.moonsongmals.org
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !

Posts: 6426 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good choice!
Mine has been 100% reliable if it fits your hand and you can hit what your aiming at it might be your favorite carry gun.

Posts: 56 | Location: San Diego | Registered: April 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
khar p9 hands down

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 4306 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good choice. The shield is a great gun. Hope you like it

Posts: 370 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Sig P290RS in 9mm last year, and use it with a pocket holster. The regular length magazine is a bit short, but still useful. The longer magazine gives a better grip, and can still be used in a pocket.

My other choice was a S&W Shield. The stock trigger on the Sig is better, to me than the stock trigger on the Shield. I've tried a shield with an after market trigger, and found the change an improvement. It also made the price about equal. I had to look some to find the Sig P290RS in 9mm-most of the ones I found were .380.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1610 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Kahr MK9 or a Springfield EMP 9mm. Both work well for me.

Posts: 481 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adman
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Kahr PM9. I pocket carry it and IWB. I've had it a while too and it runs and runs. I like the simple platform... it doesn't try to be a scaled down so and so.

Adman

"Then said (Jesus) unto them ... and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." --Luke 22:36 KJV
-----

Posts: 1240 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: November 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
P938 is my pocket carry, replaced my pocket carry j-frame.

I recently did the same. I really like the P938 Blackwood. Great looking two tone, excellent night sights, very accurate, comfortable to carry and flawless functioning.

"Don't Tread On Me"

Posts: 1863 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I like the Walther PPSM2.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 1647 | Location: KANSAS | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Walther classic PPS M1 with Talon rubbery grips.
Lightweight, ultrathin and accurate.
Interchangeable back straps assure a comfortable grip.
XS Tritium sights are another plus.

Posts: 1275 | Location: in the cornfields | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P290

Posts: 78 | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post