SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Non-Resident Permit Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Resident Permit Question Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
Here's the situation. "I" below actually refers to someone else, but it's easier to write in the first person.

I am a resident of New Mexico.
I do not have any concealed carry permits.
I want to go to Arizona, take a class, and get a non-resident Arizona permit.

QUESTION: Can I legally carry in New Mexico (my state of residence) with only a non-resident Arizona permit?

I've looked thru handgunlaw.us and even the NM statutes (z-z-z-z-z-z, dry and boring), and it's not addressed that I can discern.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3295 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
You sit down and read your state's law on concealed carry or ask your State Police. There are states out there that don't allow a resident of theirs to use non-res permit since many that can't get their home state permit will go to the next state over. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
http://handgunlaw.us/documents...ntPermits.pdf#page17

Looks like yes. Scroll up to AZ non-res permit.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
As mentioned just above- yes. At the present time.

You do not need to go to AZ and take a class for the AZ license, although that's what I did some years ago when the AZ license system was in the process of being changed. All you need to do, and this is all on the AZ DPS website, is take a hunter safety class here in NM, or an NRA- approved firearms safety class. That will satisfy the requirements for an AZ license.

https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp

Look for "N" for qualifications here:

https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocu...gov/ars/13/03112.htm

You can do it all by mail- they have generally been very quick to process and turn the applications around as well.

I do recommend though, as a NM resident you should have a license issued from this state. One reason I say this is the NM powers that be have been known to change their reciprocity allowances, if you would, from other states. It is entirely possible that at some future point they may see the AZ license system as not being up to par and may cancel reciprocity.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've read, both at handgunlaw.us and the NM statutes, the "letter of the law" says yes, I can do that. But using the analogy of drivers' licenses, if I live in NM, but have a CO DL, I'm "legal", because there's reciprocity. But they really want you to transfer your DL to NM. Same with license plates. So I'm surprised there isn't something similar in the statutes for CCW.

And to clarify, I do have a NM CCW, with non-resident AZ obtained as described above. My GF, her sister and mom want to go to AZ to do this. It's kind of a family bonding thing for them, I'm just researching if it's copacetic. If so, they should have a good time doing it. It just seems odd to me.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3295 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
That's cool. Actually I do think it's a good thing to go and do the class. It's half the time required for NM, and it was a good instruction session. I did mine in Holbrook because it was the closest I could find at the time.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d think it makes the most sense to get the home State permit 1st, as posted.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree, but try telling that to her!

- Dave Barry

Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
In thinking about this some more, for NM residents I just don't see any advantage to doing it out of state.

If they want a bonding trip experience, suggest they come up to Santa Fe. There are plenty of good places to stay and other things to do/see, lots of good places to eat, and I can make a personal recommendation on instructors. One of them is a woman if that would work better for them.

That way, they stay in-state, have a good time, and work with a known good instructor.

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would say no. NM is much like Kalif, they do NOT recognize ANY nonres permits. So go get your NM permit.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
A non res permit is diff than a res permit for reciprocity.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although it is old information, you will need to keep track of any new legislation:

According to the NM DPS site:

https://www.dps.nm.gov/concealed-carry-faqs

Is my out-of-state permit valid in place of a NM concealed carry license when I move to/live in New Mexico?

As of December 2008, the answer is “yes” (as long as it is from a state that NM recognizes). However, there may soon be legislation passed requiring NM residents who want to carry concealed to obtain a NM concealed carry license.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it, but she is set on going to AZ with her mom and sis. Good info, I agree with getting a resident permit (I have one), but this is more about doing something with family than the permit itself.

In all reality, she probably won't carry much anyway.

- Dave Barry

Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I would say no. NM is much like Kalif, they do NOT recognize ANY nonres permits. So go get your NM permit.

I do not believe this to be true. I do not recall any stat, rule or regulation to this effect. Can you point me to a source?

posted Hide Post
Found an answer in the NM Concealed Carry Booklet - the short answer is now NO - New Mexico residents cannot use it in NM. You can, however, use the out of state permit as a basis to get a NM permit without additional training.

https://dps.nm.gov/templates/g...oklet%20FILLABLE.pdf

10.8.2.29 (H) No reciprocity shall be afforded to a license issued by another state to a New Mexico resident.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SigSAC, thanks for that info. Intuitively, that's what I would have thought. They are still going - I encouraged them to, as GF needs and wants bonding time. Her sister is now mad at me though, I think. Kind of a kill the messenger response. Oh well....

- Dave Barry

Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
10.8.2.29 (H) No reciprocity shall be afforded to a license issued by another state to a New Mexico resident.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew they'd do that sooner or later. Good to know, glad to stand corrected.

Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Here in Louisiana if you're a Louisiana resident and want to CC you have to get a Louisiana permit we don't have non resident permits.
We used to except a non resident permits like a non resident Florida that some of our La resident used to get. La change the law and if you're one of us you have to have our permit.

We do honor resident and non resident permits from states we have reciprocity with

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Makes no sense... to try and make things more difficult. 'They' make it hard enough as it is. Get your state's permit... then worry about AZ later.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
If it's all about a family thing, why don't hrr NM relatives come over to AZ to take the course with your wife/girlfriend?

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post