SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Pocket Holster for P238 ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Holster for P238 ... Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a pocket holster for P238 that does not cover the rear sight.

Currently using a "Sticky SM 2" and it works well, except it has molded itself around the rear sight, preventing a smooth draw. It would be perfect if cut lower on the slide, clearing the rear sight.

I've been shopping around online, but many images do not show the fit for the P238 in the holster.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Merus

Posts: 21 | Registered: June 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... does not cover the rear sight ..

Hmmm ... ... some thoughts for your consideration follow:

I tried a wallet style holster - which did not cover the rear sight. The issue was this combination just 'printed' too much in jeans. Deep cargo pockets had this wallet style flopping around.

I had the DeSantis SuperFly - worked well with a P238 I used to have. This DeSantis does cover the rear sight. It was never an issue, but understand yours.

P238 in DeSantis image (not mine)

DeSantis website
http://www.desantisholster.com/SUPER-FLY

I did have a Sticky Holster SM-2, which also covered the rear sight, so again, not what you are looking for.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
... does not cover the rear sight ..

Hmmm ... ... some thoughts for your consideration follow:

I tried a wallet style holster - which did not cover the rear sight. The issue was this combination just 'printed' too much in jeans. Deep cargo pockets had this wallet style flopping around.

I had the DeSantis SuperFly - worked well with a P238 I used to have. This DeSantis does cover the rear sight. It was never an issue, but understand yours.

I did have a Sticky Holster SM-2, which also covered the rear sight, so again, not what you are looking for.

Your input is appreciated. To be honest, I'm a little surprised this is not an issue for more people, and is not part of the descriptions for pocket holsters. To be fair, some guns, like the LCP II, do not snag because of their rear sight design.

posted Hide Post
Have you tried the Remora holster? Based on their pictures, it looks like it will cover the rear sight of the P238. That being said, they offer both a reinforced (RFT model) and non-reinforced option (IWB model).

I've got the RFT for my G42, mainly for IWB carry. The top holds it open so it's always easy to holster/reholster, though not sure if it will make it too bulky for the pocket.

https://www.remoraholsterstore...product/rft-holster/
https://www.remoraholsterstore...e-waistband-holster/

Posts: 11 | Registered: January 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thetexanengineer:
Have you tried the Remora holster? Based on their pictures, it looks like it will cover the rear sight of the P238. That being said, they offer both a reinforced (RFT model) and non-reinforced option (IWB model).

I've got the RFT for my G42, mainly for IWB carry. The top holds it open so it's always easy to holster/reholster, though not sure if it will make it too bulky for the pocket.

https://www.remoraholsterstore...product/rft-holster/
https://www.remoraholsterstore...e-waistband-holster/

The Remora seems well made and the images on their web site actually show the fit of a P238.

The source of the difficulty is the design of the P238. Being a 1911 form factor, the rear sight rides lower in the holster than, say, a Ruger LCP II. As a result, the reinforcing edge stitched around the holster becomes an obstacle that must be overcome when the pistol is drawn. This problem is made worse when the holster molds around the rear sight. Thus, my desire for a holster that does NOT cover the rear sight.

The best fit I have found is the Ruger branded pocket holster provided with their LCP II. The rear sight rides higher, and the edge is much thinner, plus the holster itself is less bulky than the Sticky Holster. Not necessarily a better holster, but a much better fit. I was hoping for a higher quality holster with a similar fit.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have about 4 Remora holsters, various sizes. Not that you want to buy a bunch, and the P238 is a small gun, but I mix & match to get the fit I want.

With a few Remora sizes to work with, I just try a few then use the one that fit how I like it. In most cases I like a deeper fit, secure.

Just an idea if they have a size just above or below the stated 'P238 sized' holster.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked into a Galco pocket protector holster? They're reinforced at the top, and stiff enough it won't form around the rear sight:
(they run around $25 or so)

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
Have you looked into a Galco pocket protector holster? They're reinforced at the top, and stiff enough it won't form around the rear sight:
(they run around $25 or so)

I had not seriously considered leather holsters because of the added bulk, but this may be my best option because ...

It wouldn't form around the sight as easily (as you pointed out)
The reinforced top looks like it could be folded outward, rather than being a stitched on strip that creates a snag inside at the top.
Being leather, I may be able to trim to fit (would reduce the rigidity of the design).

The biggest downside is the increased bulk of the leather. Worth a closer look, though.

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merus:
I'm looking for a pocket holster for P238 that does not cover the rear sight.

Currently using a "Sticky SM 2" and it works well, except it has molded itself around the rear sight, preventing a smooth draw. It would be perfect if cut lower on the slide, clearing the rear sight.

I've been shopping around online, but many images do not show the fit for the P238 in the holster.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Merus

Thanks for all your input, but I have resolved this myself. The answer is so simple, I'm a little embarrassed. A "Sticky SM 1" is nearly perfect. It has good coverage for the trigger guard, and the rear sight rides high enough to clear the top of the holster. The only down side is the "paddle" portion of the holster is smaller, so it is less stable in the pocket. A small sacrifice for me, and an acceptable compromise.

Merus