SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Kydex Holster Retention
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kydex Holster Retention Login/Join 
posted
When you guys buy a kydex holster, do you prefer one with an adjustment screw? I see several that do not have them, and was curious if these will remain snug over time, or do they loosen up any?

Posts: 113 | Location: New Orleans  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
With kydex holsters only coming to market in the past 10-15 years, there's no way to know for sure how they will behave with many decades of use. But theoretically, Kydex holsters shouldn't stretch out or loosen over time, unlike leather holsters.

I have some kydex holsters that are approaching 10 years old, and they haven't lost their retention with time and use. As a result, I don't see the need for adjustment screws, provided the holsters have been formed to a proper level of retention to begin with.

However, Kydex holsters can start to lose their shape and alter their retention if left next to a heat source like a space heater, or left in a hot car during the summer.

Posts: 17305 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you guys buy a kydex holster, do you prefer one with an adjustment screw? I

Yes.

read what you want
watch what you want
play what you want
think what you want
say what you want

Posts: 34106 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I prefer to have one.

I see it more of a fine tuning option as many people have different preferences on how much force it takes to draw the gun out.

Posts: 5576 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it seems like it would be worth the extra $15...

Posts: 113 | Location: New Orleans  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I want a holster with a proper retention screw set up, that can even apply pressure. Usually that means two screws.

The original Blade-Tech IWB holster did this perfectly. For some reason they switched to a single screw.

I want them because every holster I've tried without retention screws starts out WAY too loose for anything other than range use, and tend to get looser with use. The a proper tension screw set up I can tighten it up to where the holster is useful.

I had a Raven Concealment Phantom. It started out too loose, and had to send it back to be "tightened," and it was better (but not great). A year later I switched WMLs, and called them, explained what I wanted, and they gave me the "extra retention" option on the new holster I ordered, and it showed up much tighter (but I wanted it tighter). A year later it was getting too loose.

Now I'm still in the hunt for a high quality OWB kydex holster with a proper retention screw set up, that conceals well.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 11513 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
I want a holster with a proper retention screw set up, that can even apply pressure. Usually that means two screws.

The original Blade-Tech IWB holster did this perfectly. For some reason they switched to a single screw.

I want them because every holster I've tried without retention screws starts out WAY too loose for anything other than range use, and tend to get looser with use. The a proper tension screw set up I can tighten it up to where the holster is useful.

I had a Raven Concealment Phantom. It started out too loose, and had to send it back to be "tightened," and it was better (but not great). A year later I switched WMLs, and called them, explained what I wanted, and they gave me the "extra retention" option on the new holster I ordered, and it showed up much tighter (but I wanted it tighter). A year later it was getting too loose.

Now I'm still in the hunt for a high quality OWB kydex holster with a proper retention screw set up, that conceals well.

This is the only one I've seen that has two screws, but it's $$$
http://highthreatconcealment.c...g-sauer-holster.html

I just ordered a 'Standard' from Blackpoint Tactical.

Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by titus66:
$110 for a quality holster is par for the course.

read what you want
watch what you want
play what you want
think what you want
say what you want

Posts: 34106 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
With the exception of the Flatline, all of Comp-Tac's OWB holsters have two screws. They range from ~$50-80 base price.

http://www.comp-tac.com/outside-the-waistband/

Blade Tech's Classic OWB also has two screws, and starts at $65.

http://shop.blade-tech.com/ind...ce8rg82#.V_VK26YVBpg

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Overheard at an actual match:
"Tapers! Come on, guys, we need tapers!"
"No, my name's Gonzales."

Posts: 4743 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Alien Gear owb has an interior steel sheet that apples pressure to the pistol. The kydex has 4 adjustable nuts to also adjust tension.

Posts: 2055 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by titus66:
quote:

I just ordered a 'Standard' from Blackpoint Tactical.
Thanks, but they don't have that as an option for a gun with a WML.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 11513 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
With the exception of the Flatline, all of Comp-Tac's OWB holsters have two screws. They range from ~$50-80 base price.

http://www.comp-tac.com/outside-the-waistband/
Yeah, thanks to you also, but none offer the option of a WML, and frankly the Flatline, and other "pancake" style kydex holsters (ie Raven Concealment) are the only kydex OWB holsters I've found that conceal well.

quote:
Blade Tech's Classic OWB also has two screws, and starts at $65.

http://shop.blade-tech.com/ind...ce8rg82#.V_VK26YVBpg
I had the older version of this for my SIGs, and adjusting tension was great, but they don't conceal well under anything other than an unbuttoned jacket. Mine was relegated to wear with a suit when going to court.

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I have not used adjustable retention on my Kydex designs.

The main reason is it increases the bulk of an AIWB design precisely where the holster contacts the thigh/groin area when seated/squatting. I remove as much material as possible there for confort's sake.

If a screw backs out unexpectedly while you are out and about, you have a problem.
A holster not using a retaining feature is still easily adjustable: my holsters are formed precisely, with a very high percentage of the retention only on the inside front of the trigger guard. Heating the Kydex on the rear/body side of the trigger guard and gently pressing in will increase retention. Heating that same area slightly, while working the pistol gently in and out will loosen it.

Honestly, I have rarely ever been asked to increase retention, maybe never, and besides making a bunch of Sig P239 holsters for members here, only to find the mold was undersized, therefore retention way too high, I have only had to loosen retention once that I can remember, (P938), besides my P239 failure.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 5979 | Location: S.W. Virginia - Central Kentucky | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
If a screw backs out unexpectedly while you are out and about, you have a problem.
Easily avoided with a little Loctite.
quote:
Honestly, I have rarely ever been asked to increase retention, maybe never. . .
How many of your customers have many hours of training (both as a student and instructor) requiring them to fight with their gun on, and defend that gun from a take away? How many of them have that experience, and therefore have had many opportunities to see gear tested hard, including the necessary amount of retention on a concealment holster, to see what works, and just as importantly, what does not work?

I know from experience that having a very tight holster is a huge benefit.

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
How many of your customers have many hours of training (both as a student and instructor) requiring them to fight with their gun on, and defend that gun from a take away? How many of them have that experience, and therefore have had many opportunities to see gear tested hard, including the necessary amount of retention on a concealment holster, to see what works, and just as importantly, what does not work?

DMF, just recently caught this.

To answer your barbed question, (you did mean it that way, or am I mistaken), many of my holsters go to armed professionals, Sir. I know quite a few of my customers are LEO, UC narcotics agents, and Trainers, at least one officer assigned to the Kentucky Fugitive Task Force, etc; quite a few are in service with members on this very forum.

I do put a very high level of retention on my Kydex, and no, loctite doesn't always hold, but then again, I doubt providing you proof or facts would matter much. It seems you felt the need to approach this with little tact, for whatever reason...

But hey whatever makes you feel... Well however.

Posts: 5979 | Location: S.W. Virginia - Central Kentucky | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got this one. I'm extremely happy with it. It's very solid, and when my 226 locks into place, it fits the holster very well with no movement. I'd buy another, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

http://www.blackpointtactical.com/shop/standard/

posted Hide Post
A Different Kydex Holster > Yaqui Stye. At Last someone offers a Kydex Yaqui holster and with belt loops!

There seems more have liked them than not. I'm talking about Yaqui style holsters. The Yaqui has been my first choice since first assignment to detective.
Originally the 38 special revolver was the mandated handgun for virtually all LE organizations for a hundred years. My suit coat lining was always shredded from the hammers. Then, against the mandate I bought a S&W Model 39 pistol. Still one of the finest pistols I've ever owned.
Yaqui holsters were new and they were slide holsters. The best fitting and most comfortable holster style I've ever used, then and remains so. I presently use a
DeSantis paddle one for a couple of guns.
I've discovered a source that actually makes a Kydex Yaqui with belt loop attachments. These from Cobra Gunskin Classics are perfect but being Kydex they're pistol specific. They're inexpensive as is his gun belts. I have one of those and it has become my favorite gun belt.
For we Yaqui holster guys (Most of us LE) check out John's offerings. Easy to chat with and great personal customer service.

Posts: 144 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
American Viet Kieu
Picture of christuan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Frankly, the VAST majority of Level I kydex holsters out on the market today, plainly do not, and cannot stand up to a gun grab, even from a trained defender.

There are very few kydex Level II holsters out there that assist with retention, and the vast majority of them are HUGE and are horrible for concealment.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying; most kydex holsters out there are same-old-same-old, and haven't been really tested for real-world outcomes.

"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 6050 | Location: PacNW | Registered: January 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by christuan:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Frankly, the VAST majority of Level I kydex holsters out on the market today, plainly do not, and cannot stand up to a gun grab, even from a trained defender.

There are very few kydex Level II holsters out there that assist with retention, and the vast majority of them are HUGE and are horrible for concealment.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying; most kydex holsters out there are same-old-same-old, and haven't been really tested for real-world outcomes.

All due respect, concealment holsters are not meant to. Leather concealment holsters do not resist a take away either.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I'm not looking for a level II holster that offers retention from a "grab" with no intervention from me. However, what I do want from a concealment holster, is one where the gun is held securely during the violence of stand up grappling, and/or a ground fight. What I see from most holsters is they are so loose that even without some trying to specifically to take the gun, during a fight the gun will fall out.

Again, that's based on lots of experience, with lots of different holsters.