SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Rhodesian style holster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhodesian style holster Login/Join 
posted
Have any of you guys or gals have experience with the rhodesian style holsters.
I know they sit low on the belt for a faster draw but I've only seen pictures no first hand experience.
There is a guy named Robb Hipp who is making them and I'm leaning towards purchasing one as a new edc holster.
Your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How can we contact him?

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is on facebook but has no web page.

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That style was made famous by Thad Rybka, holster maker. I have several from him.
I also have several from Mr. Hipp. All excellent.

BTW, that is just a name for it - it did not originate in Rhodesia.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 162 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had no idea what that style was, so did a little search. That is a great looking holster from Thad Rydka. I would like one of those very much. Plain, understated and no nonsense. Great for a field type holster, or under a long jacket in the winter.

Is he still making holsters? If so may have to right him a letter according to what I found as far a contacting him. Any idea of what he would charge for that style?

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of any other holster makers who produce this style ?

Specifically , how does a person contact and view Mr. Hipp's leatherwork ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bahs11,

Posts: 462 | Location: NW Indiana  | Registered: January 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try robhipp45@gmail.com.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have emailed twice, received answer once. Good luck!!

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks OldLawman for the info---I received info I was looking for

Posts: 462 | Location: NW Indiana  | Registered: January 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ 4X4:
He is on facebook but has no web page.

Where on facebook, I searched the name.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I emailed Mr. Shipp 3 times before he responded. Once he did I received all the info I needed.
Use the email address in the above post by xray---it's the same email address given to me by OldLawman.

Good Luck...

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bahs11:
Does anyone know of any other holster makers who produce this style ?

Specifically , how does a person contact and view Mr. Hipp's leatherwork ?

I found this:
quote:
#6 Selous Scout Holster
This holster has always been an intriguing design to me and comes with great history, so I decided to offer it.

During the middle 1970’s the nation of Rhodesia fought a war against communist backed insurgents attempting to over throw the white controlled government. During this conflict a number of foreign nationals enlisted in the Rhodesian Army to help resist the communist backed terrorist forces. Among the American and European mercenary soldiers serving with the Rhodesian, both the P35 Browning and M1911 pistol were very popular. Do to the embargo imposed upon Rhodesia concerning arms and related equipment, many items were produced locally in country. Vidar Nakling of Norway handmade holsters, belts and magazine pouches for his buddies in the Rhodesian forces. Using Kudu hide, he carefully produced very functional rigs that were highly favored by not only the troops, but his IPSC shooting buddies in Rhodesia. The holster design used by Vidar Nakling was very much like the popular Sickinger brand combat holster made in West Germany that used two pieces of leather sewn together to form a weld in both the front and back. Vidar made his holster with much less belt loop drop versus the Sickinger design. I remember Andy Langley using his Vitar Nakling " Rhodesian" rig with great success on the range. It was a favorite of many of the 'Selous Scouts' that made-up Rhodesia's most elite counter terror unit. Andy Langley’s 'Rhodesian' holster rig was stolen from him during his time working the protective detail business in Central America. He was very bitter about the loss of his 'Vidar Rhodesian rig'.

Thad Rybka began making his version of this design holster called the 'Rhodesian' in the 80s. Rybka's holsters are top quality and still in high demand.

Recently, my friend John Markwell took his well-worn and ready to be put out to pasture Rybka 'Rhodesian' holster to Erik to ask him to re-create the Rhodesian. Erik has done a masterful job; his final product is superb....my every day 1911 rides in one of the first ones Erik Little produced and was presented to me at the 2016 SHOT Show. I think Erik has hit this one out of the park. It is a must have item if you are a 1911 fan.

~Ken Hackathorn

On this page:
http://www.combatgunleather.com/holsters

The Rhodesian is the sixth one down from the top.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post