SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Using a holster for a larger gun can help hide a smaller gun.

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using a holster for a larger gun can help hide a smaller gun. Login/Join 
posted
For a while now I've been using a Kydex holster that is for a G17 but carry my G26 in it. It seems to help the shorter gun stay put. It also can help eliminate the bottom of th holster digging in to the hip depending on body type. That was an issue I had with a P229 and a Summer Special holster. The muzzle end always made a hot spot. I know now that I prefer other holsters and would probably have fixed that.

Doing this with a leather holster may collapse the muzzle end over time, but may be wither it.

Looking for an Alaskan Malamute? Look here: http://www.moonsongmals.org
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !

Posts: 6310 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Are there any retention issue by using a holster that arguably is too big for the gun you are carrying? I know you said it helps it stay put, but I'd be worried about it not being snug enough on the gun.

Posts: 253 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
Are there any retention issue by using a holster that arguably is too big for the gun you are carrying? I know you said it helps it stay put, but I'd be worried about it not being snug enough on the gun.

I doubt it. The slide width and contour around the trigger guard are pretty much the same on all the Glocks within the same "family" 17/19/26

Posts: 5552 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have often carried a Glock 27 in an old Bladetech IWB made for a G23. I found the extra length of the holster made carrying this combo more comfortable. The holster didn't move around and make the pistol feel top heavy. I also had a nice horsehide Kramer IWB for the G27. I never could quite get used to it. There just wasn't enough barrel length to make it feel secure. The G27 in the Bladetech made for the G23 was fast and secure.

Posts: 191 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
This is why IWB rigs for subcompacts made by makers that know what they're doing put a "wing" to aid in stability and comfort.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 1803 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Doing this with a leather holster may collapse the muzzle end over time

It definitely will.

quote:

With guns built on the same platform, just with longer or shorter slides and grips, that's usually not a problem. So different sized double stack Glock 9mms will work, but obviously if you stick a Glock 42 in a Glock 21 holster, that would result in retention issues.

quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
This is why IWB rigs for subcompacts made by makers that know what they're doing put a "wing" to aid in stability and comfort.

Correct. I think the Brommeland Max Con V is one of the best examples of this concept in practice. Very comfortable and stable, and no chance of it digging into your side, even with a subcompact.

Full sized:

Subcompact:

Posts: 17299 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

I doubt it. The slide width and contour around the trigger guard are pretty much the same on all the Glocks within the same "family" 17/19/26
that makes sense. Thanks. Learn something new every day I guess.

Posts: 253 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post