SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    I carried for the first time in a while ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I carried for the first time in a while ... Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Mark is a pretty slim and trim dude. I am... not, lol. Big Grin

We talked a bit over text yesterday and I showed him my setup and asked a few clarifying questions. I definitely think he would benefit from an actual gun belt, and a holster that can be adjusted for ride height and cant, and suggested a Hank’s Ahmish belt and Stealthgear Ventcore, which is what I use. I carry a Glock 19 all day, every day, and have tried a ton of holsters. I haven’t found a more comfortable setup. I know it’s there, at 2:30, but it doesn’t spend all day reminding me, you know?

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
^^^
Right on,that's a solid set up.
I wear tucked in polo shirts to work mainly so I like to use a tuckable holster with a single overhook clip at about the 1:30 position. With a foam wedge if keeps the grip against me and is quite comfortable.
I also like this set up because it is super easy to take on and off without reholstering.
Lots of great options out there but you should really have a sturdy gun belt as a foundation. I love my Armour belt from Mike but I've also like the various "rigger" type nylon belts as well if I'm using something with metal clips. (I'd hate to scuff up my nice leather). Cool

my current AIWB holster

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,excuse me for beating a dead horse,but I'll go along with all the above suggestions about A P365. For a long time I carried a Kahr cw9. Felt ok, but I always wanted something with a smaller footprint if possible. Now that's it's winter, I had been carrying my g26 IWB hidden under sweaters & coats. I've had a P365 with a TLR-6 for 2 months now and It. Is. Great. For IWB carry either at 1 -3 O Clock. I have it in a Tulster kydex IWB holster & Sometimes I forget I have it on. It's that comfortable. I use Wilderness tactical belts and the combination works extremely well for me. Something to consider.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. My first job is going to be to get a better belt.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

I'm with Cliff on the WT belt. I've worn a 5-stitch belt everyday for years. Great choice if you don't want leather.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Whatever you go with, if you decide to spring for it, double-thickness horsehide, bull hide, or a kydex liner sandwiched into the belt for stiffening will completely change your world. Instead of cinching the gun to your side and it flopping and bouncing with every step, you adjust it to be comfortable, and the belt supports and distributes the weight of the gun. Night and day difference.

Even a cheap Chinese-made Blackhawk belt with a kydex liner for my first carry belt made all the difference between serious sciatica flare-ups and comfortable carry. The Hank's standard Ahmish belt is even better. And yes, I want to eventually get a Hank's Gunner belt at some point. Smile

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Hybrid style holsters help a lot, also. They support the weight of the gun much better I find than a typical OWB or IWB.

As others have noted, a real gunbelt is essential.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I found that a Galco King-Tuk works great for me. I carry this at around 5 o'clock. First time I used it, I drove about 3 hours and never even noticed I had a gun (G19) on. Being that it is a little farther back on my waist than 3 o'clock, it is real easy to conceal. With a little training, you should find it very easy to present should the need arise!!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AK
posted Hide Post
These days I find myself almost exclusively carrying with a Smartcarry. I was carrying a G26 with a Glock OEM + base plate and a spare G17 magazine. I've recently switched to a P320 Compact (9mm) with a spare 17 round mag. Down here in FL it's not too often that I'm wearing anything more than a t-shirt and jeans/shorts, which is no issue when using a Smartcarry holster. The only real drawback is that it takes slightly longer to draw from when compared to most other carry methods.

Smartcarry

Two rules in a gunfight.
#1. Someone is going to lose.
#2. I'm going to win.

Posts: 511 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
P365 in Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. Front right pocket on jeans and hardly know it is there.

Probably my carry 95% of the time. If for some reason I have to go off-body in a bag or brief than it is either the P365 or P30SK

If (God forbid) I have to go into Seattle proper and “gun up” then it would be the P320 X-Carry or P30L

Love my P229ST (fine tuned by Bruce Gray himself) and my P229 Legion SAO but I just don’t see myself carrying them as a CCW.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
A P938 is small and concealable. I carry mine when lighter clothing is in order.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a 229 for years. Never knew what it was like to carry something that didn’t feel like a brick on my belt. Went from that to a 938 and it changed everything. Now I go from a G43 to G19. As well as I can shoot my 229 I’ll never go back to carrying it

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Carrying and holsters is a very personal choice, and we each migrate to our favorites. And in my case, my tastes seem to change every few years.

I'm currently mostly carrying a G43, and a year ago I decided to try a "Sticky" holster. LINK

It's basically a padded fabric sleeve with a mildly sticky (think post-it note sticky) outer covering. I carry IWB, and can vary position as comfort dictates. Belts aren't as big of an issue, as the belt isn't supporting most of the weight. It is inside the belt, so it pulls the pistol closer to my body much better than a standard holster for better concealment. They are relatively inexpensive, and I haven't worn through one yet, although I'm not a daily carry-er (I work at .gov). They only make a handful of sizes, so if you have similar guns, you won't need a unique holster for each. Only downside (to me) is re-holstering. But it's not like I'm constantly drawing either.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3295 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
One note, an AIWB doesn't work for people with Dunloppen Disorder. Not comfortable at all when the gun digs into your roll.

I'm in the a) Better belt, and b) lighter gun category. P365 is very light and easily concealable, as is the Ruger ECP.

Of course, you could also pocket carry a small revolver or semi.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with already mentioned lighter gun, 1.5" wide 1/4"- 5/16" thick special purpose made gun belt. And I would add suspenders to shift weight to shoulders. Good luck.

davemercer

Posts: 936 | Location: NE USA | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davemercer:

I would add suspenders to shift weight to shoulders.
Agreed!

Most suspenders fasten to pants, either by buttons or clips.

I use Perry suspenders. Instead of fastening to pants, they have clips that support the belt directly. Much better for carrying the weight of a gun and spare magazine(s).

Perry has a website with a huge selection. Walmart also carries them, not as wide a choice of colors or styles, labeled "Dickies / Perry," usually at an end cap in the menswear area.

The ones at Walmart are around nine bucks, they are more on the Perry website, but there is a much larger selection of styles, widths, and colors.

You can also find them on Amazon ("Perry suspenders"), but right now I would not recommend Amazon as first choice; Prime shipping, that is supposed to be two days, is taking as much as three weeks even for items that are in stock at the warehouse, because virus.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Light pistol, ala Shield or G43 or P365.

Light holster such as Blade Tech Or similar.

Good belt. I now use a Kore Essentials leather that uses the 1/4” adjustment track. Wow what a difference in comfort by easily making micro adjustment to belt when sitting or standing.

All of the above combine to really change the comfort level.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bschuu
posted Hide Post
Please excuse if I intrude...

I carry either P320c or P10c (depends on the day) and have always wondered what good gun belt companies there are and what style works best. I currently use a pretty sturdy leather belt but not an actual gun belt.

Also, are there any good clothing (shorts or pants) that you/any recommends?

"I've heard it said that God made all men, but Samuel Colt made all men equal."

Posts: 138 | Location: CA --> TN | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I use Mastermind Tactics belts.

https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop

Posts: 7420 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bschuu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANGER20:
quote:
Originally posted by bschuu:
Please excuse if I intrude...

I carry either P320c or P10c (depends on the day) and have always wondered what good gun belt companies there are and what style works best. I currently use a pretty sturdy leather belt but not an actual gun belt.

Also, are there any good clothing (shorts or pants) that you/any recommends?

Lots of options if you don't need dress belts I use 511 https://tacticalgear.com/511-t...elts%20-%20511%20(em)

Thank you!

"I've heard it said that God made all men, but Samuel Colt made all men equal."

Posts: 138 | Location: CA --> TN | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post