SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    I carried for the first time in a while ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I carried for the first time in a while ... Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I carried my P229 in a Highnoon Tailgunner IWB. I hadn't lost any confidence but I remember why I don't carry very often. It tears my back up. Sitting with an IWB and having the weight of the gun pull on my bad side is going to cause issues for the next week, at least. I'm going to have to come up with some other way to carry.

OWB never really worked for me and a shoulder holster isn't practical. Is cross-draw a terrible idea? Suggestion?

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You need a lighter pistol. That Sig is a boat anchor compared to a G43 or a Shield.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
You need a lighter pistol. That Sig is a boat anchor compared to a G43 or a Shield.
i have a GLOCK 33 and it is better, but it doesn't really alleviate the issue entirely. I still can't sit with it in my waistband.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The holster you mention is designed to be worn on or behind the hip, IIRC.
quote:
Is cross-draw a terrible idea?

Not at all, nor is AIWB. For a cross-draw I would guess an OWB might be more comfortable than IWB.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I had some back issues too when I was carrying a CZ P01 IWB at 4:00.
Since I switched to an M&P compact in an AIWB holster I almost can forget it's there.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks, friend. I'll look into AIWB. Is sitting uncomfortable with AIWB?

posted Hide Post
My Glock 48 is very light. Might work for you. I carry it OWB not AIWB.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Mark, don't forget the importance of using a high quality belt, like one from Armour belts or Beltman, or, I am sure a myriad of other makers.

I carry a P226 or P220 stainless, IWB, sometimes OWB. I used to use whatever belt was available, or the cheapest. My back would always hurt at the end of the day. After getting a good high quality belt, I can carry that stainless .45 all day long, and have on occasion, forgetten it was there.

It may or may not help with your situation specifically, but might be something to look into.

Good luck!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a perfect excuse to buy a sig p365 and then pocket carry.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
Sounds like a perfect excuse to buy a sig p365 and then pocket carry.
I can't say that I haven't been looking.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Not only it depends on the person and body, but holster and gun selection. a quarter inch in the wrong direction can make the difference between comfortable or pain.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't carry my P365 often but when I do even in an inexpensive Don Hume clip holster I forget I am wearing it. I can clip it to sweat pants and lightweight shorts without a problem and that's with the 12 round mag.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Since going with a stubbier pistol (M&P 3.6" compact) I have zero issues with comfort. With a 4" pistol like a G19 or similar it would dig into my upper thigh just enough to get a bit raw by the end of the day. I imagine your G33 or a P365 would be hardly noticed after a few days of getting used to it.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a P220 and then a P229. I'm sure there's heavier guns, but yeah, boat anchor is a fitting descriptor.

Where on your belt do you place your holster? I eventually found that for me, with a Glock 19, IWB just forward of my right hip but not quite AIWB. Works pretty well and doesn't flare up my sciatica like carrying the SIGs at 3:00 did. And that's with two mags on the offside.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I carry around 4 o'clock. Just in front of the label on a pair of jeans.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I carry g26 owb.

If I we're in your situation, I think I'd get a p365 and find a nice slim kydex owb holster.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I like to describe myself as Husky (spare tire) and for me AIWB just ain't gonna happen!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I carry a glock 43x because it is so light.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
GOOD belt. High and tight OWB pancake holster, forward cant at around 3ish to 4ish super comfy.

The way I see it no matter what I carry beyond pocket or ankle I will need a cover garment so I might as well go OWB, fighting sized pistol. I had tried it all over the years and that is what works best for me. Well all except AIWB.....I just can't bring myself to hold big Jim and the twins hostage. Big Grin

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A lighter pistol, a better belt and any weight you can lose around the middle helps A TON.

I'm back to carrying the G19 like it's a G42 again after cutting about 25.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post