SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Pistol safe, storage.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol safe, storage. Login/Join 
posted
How do you store your bedside handgun? Looking for pistol safe recommendations. What and why you like it, maybe with pictures. The grand kids are starting to get mobile now so it’s time to take extra precautions. Thanks.

Posts: 71 | Location: Stockbridge, Georgia | Registered: April 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I like V-Line with Simplex locks. They are slim enough to fit in a drawer, completely analog and fairly well made. They have just enough room for a handgun and extra magazine.

All that being said my general philosophy is I have safe's etc. to keep kids, irresponsible adults and snoopy party goers etc. out. I have no illusions about them being hardened against actual theft assault.

I do have a couple electronic locks but my bedsides will only ever use analog/mechanical locks, just for my own piece of mind.

V-Line, FAS1,(who I think is a member), Fort Knox all make something along the lines of what I like.

And can I say THANK YOU for locking up your guns. I am of the mindset that kids or not there are always occasions where we might have folks in our house who are not completely vetted or not the most responsible and locking up the guns goes a LONG way towards not only keeping people safe but keeping the community out of the news.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks cslinger. All of my guns are in a gun safe with this ones exception. It’s cased, but like I said, I want more peace of mind = security. I’ll give those v- lines a look. Thanks.

Posts: 71 | Location: Stockbridge, Georgia | Registered: April 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I’ll echo cslinger, I have a V-Line in a nightstand drawer, very easy to access and will keep sticky children’s fingers off a gun. Not much deterant to someone looking to get in, but deters innocent intentions.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
V-line for the win.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
This one looks real interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X...=342GKF8TE6KBF&psc=1

ULTRA PORTABLE and lightweight 18-gauge carbon steel construction features a SLIM DESIGN with a durable powdercoat finish to prevent corrosion and ensure long lasting protection of your belongings for years to come.
ANTI-THEFT PROTECTION features anti-pry bars, two point anti-impact latches, interior mounted hinges, and security brackets for the ultimate prevention against break-ins. Available with the entire Vaultek product line up.
QUICK ACCESS to your valuables, documents, and firearm(s) from the automatic opening door. Get in quick when it matters most using the rapid fire backlit keypad or biometric fingerprint scanner.
SMART SAFE TECHNOLOGY a highly interactive experience from your smartphone. You can easily toggled on/off using the available hotkeys if desired and still maintain all other safe functions. A RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM-ION battery provides power up to 4 months, and charges in 2.5 hours with the included micro-USB charging kit.
RESPONSIVE LED LIGHTING in low light situations so you can locate your safe with the backlit keypad and easily view your safe contents with an adjustable interior LED light.

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
This is what's in my nightstand.
https://www.amazon.com/V-Line-...-Black/dp/B000T24OFG

V-Line all the way.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Another vote for V-Line.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The simplex lock on a V-Line is reliable and can be used in complete darkness. Most of the biometric locks are made in china and supposedly not so reliable, long-term.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At home, the grandkids don't stay overnight, so my P226 is in a bedside holster over night and back in the main safe during the day. When staying at family members' homes on vacation, I take along a Sentry nightstand safe with key and biometric access for my EDC.

Mostly 9mm and .45 ACP:
P226 Enhanced Elite
P938 SAS
P320 Compact w/subcompact grip
P225-A1 two-tone
Bunch of Dan Wessons
Assorted Berettas, CZs, etc.

Posts: 199 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Hornady Rapid Safe line.
You can use RFID, keypad, &/or a key to open them.

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Anything with batteries or in need of electricity will eventually fuck you over.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I have a sentry safe model 1900 that I use when the grand kids come over. I've had it for years and it's bulky and heavy enough to prevent the little ones from picking it up and handling it. It has a simple key lock that goes in my pocket when they are over. You can usually find them on sale this time of year since it's tax season.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My "bedside" gun is also my carry gun so it's either on my hip or I'm snoozing 2 feet away from it.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
My wife & I each have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mounted on the side of our respective night stands next to the bed. Really like them, and with a 3yo & 7yo running around it is great peace of mind as well.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have this Sentry Two pistol safe, it's the only thing I found that has a chance of fitting a pistol w/short suppressor and still fitting within a nightstand drawer:

https://www.amazon.com/SentryS...eywords=sentry+qap2e

It won't fit my P220 with Osprey 45, but it will fit a P320 with a Rugged Obsidian 9mm in the short configuration. It would also fit with other short cans like an Omega 9K.

So far I like it fairly well. It's much heavier duty than the picture would have you believe. Enough so that I need to anchor my nightstand to keep it from tipping forward when the drawer is all the way open.

I don't like that it takes batteries but at least it has the manual key backup so you can always open it. Biggest downside is that the buttons are a bit slow to respond so if you try and punch them too fast you will mess up the code and have to wait several seconds to try again.

If I could have found something with this form factor and a simplex lock I would have bought it. I plan to pick up a V-line safe for my wife's nightstand pistol that doesn't need the extra length for a suppressor.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck with my Fort Knox pistol safe. I like that it has a simplex lock as well which works well for me given it’s a bedside safe.

http://www.gunsafesamerica.com...l-box-free-shipping/

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post