SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Road trip through Illinois
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road trip through Illinois Login/Join 
posted
I may be going on a road trip which would involve driving through and staying one night in Illinois.

I checked the various online sources, but thought some SIGforum input might be helpful. I know my carry permit is not valid there, so the pistol would need to be stowed. My understanding is that the pistol must be unloaded and in a case. If it is in that condition and packed in a suitcase for the Illinois portion, are there any legal pitfalls I'm missing? Legal to have it in a hotel room? Legal driving on the interstate around Chicago?

Thanks

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think the part you need to read starts at page 10.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I unloaded mine and locked in one of those portable/mobile gun vaults with a cable tether, secured in the car, just before crossing the state line. Transferred the vault to suitcase upon arrival, then into the in-room safe--where it stayed for the duration. Reversed the process on the way back out.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
If you have a permit from your state, you can carry in your vehicle while traveling through.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
If you have a permit from your state, you can carry in your vehicle while traveling through.

I was surprised to learn that here a few years go. SHHH!! Don't tell the state legislature which is busy legalizing pot and raising taxes anyhow.

It's at the top of page 10 on the link from 220-9er:

430 ILCS 66/40

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

I was surprised to learn that here a few years go. SHHH!! Don't tell the state legislature which is busy legalizing pot and raising taxes anyhow.

I knew that at the time, but didn't care to chance it. Weighed the odds and locked it up whilst in Illinois.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Just be more vigilant in Cook and the collar counties in general.

Make sure your fuel tank is topped up before you cross into the suck. Recent tax increase has dramatically changed fuel prices.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Also there are some jurisdictions in/near Chicago that consider laser sights as illegal.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Any mag size limit in Illinois?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
No limits on handgun magazines, restrictions on rifle mags in some areas, Cook County mostly but then only in Chicago and a few other towns.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beware: Cook County (in which Chicago is located) has a 10-round maximum capacity magazine limit pertaining to all persons (except LE) within its jurisdiction. The ordinance has been upheld by the U.S. Court of Appeals. Although there has not been vigorous enforcement to date, conviction carries a possible sentence of 6 months incarceration and up to $10k fine.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol and CCW Instructor, Firearms Expert Witness - Fraternal Order of Police
*************************************************************************************************************
"Civilian marksmanship was appalling, for a population obsessed with guns." - Lee Child, "A Wanted Man"

Posts: 93 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Local Restrictions on Magazines:

Aurora§ 29-49(f)(2)
bans the possession, sale, or acquisition of large capacity feeding devices (magazines with a capacity of more than 15 rounds).

Chicago8-20-010
Definitions-Previous ordinances on the restrictions have been deleted and this sections has all the restrictions for handguns and long guns in Chicago. The new preemption law voids all handgun restrictions in Illinois.

Franklin Park § 3-13G-
3bans the transfer, acquisition, possession, manufacture or distribution of assault ammunition (any detachable ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than 16 rounds).

Oak Park§ 27-1-1, § 27-1-2and§ 27-2-1
bans the possession and sale of large capacity feeding devices (magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds).

Riverdale§ 9.05.010, § 9.05.020and § 9.05.030
bans the possession, transfer, acquisition or manufacture of assault ammunition (a detachable magazine box with a capacity of “more than 35 rounds centerfire.”).

Note:The above restrictions would only apply to Long Guns. The State has preempted all local handgun laws

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post