SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Ambush Hazard at Gas Pumps?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ambush Hazard at Gas Pumps? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
I do not buy gas at night. I have told my wife, daughter and son to fill up in the day time and to not get below 1/2 tank.

This.
And if approached by anyone while fueling, I always have my hand on the fuel pump nozzle. Just pull it out, casually "muzzle" them with it with your hand on the trigger. Any false moves and the attacker is now covered in gasoline. It will lessen their enthusiasm for a tussle.
Pro tip: avoid shooting someone who is soaked in gasoline unless you're a good distance back Wink

Bruce

Ok, that is hilarious, and a fantastic suggestion. I'm head on a swivel while fueling anyway, but this is even better. Getting soaked in 'highly flammable' oughta take the fight out of a lot of folks.

Posts: 17056 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Had this happen twice at a local gas station.

The first time a guy probably late teens/early twenties got within fifteen feet of me before I looked up from the pump. He made an abrupt half-right face without breaking stride, head down.

Second time I saw the individual coming and looked directly at him, he veered off towards the curb.

Needless to say I avoid that station and am a little more aware now.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Some gas stations are definitely creepier than others, esp. considering the nature of the neighborhood. My head is always moving at a pump station, even a nice one.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Had this happen twice at a local gas station.

The first time a guy probably late teens/early twenties got within fifteen feet of me before I looked up from the pump. He made an abrupt half-right face without breaking stride, head down.

Second time I saw the individual coming and looked directly at him, he veered off towards the curb.

Needless to say I avoid that station and am a little more aware now.

The direct eye contact thing works for me and I have the added advantage of being ugly with a few scars.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar situation happen to me a few years ago.
I stopped to get gas in a not so great part of town near where I was living at the time. I witnessed a young male walking suspiciously around the gas station. He was trying to sneak around me by walking behind as much cover as possible to not be seen but it made him more noticeable as he clearly wasn't going from the store to a car or a pump like someone normally would.
When he popped out from behind a pump, he didn't expect me to be facing him. He stopped in his tracks about 15ft away and stood there for a good 5 seconds just staring each other down.
I assumed he must have been on drugs due to his appearance and crazy eyes. After a few seconds it was apparent he wasn't going to easy back away so I brushed my jacket back and placed my hand on my pistol. Fortunately he took notice and quickly walked away without me having to draw my firearm.
This was about a week after getting my cwp.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
I brushed my jacket back and placed my hand on my pistol.

Keep in mind that under some circumstances in some jurisdictions that such an action without legal justification may be a crime. Below is the law in Colorado that would probably apply, and note that the offense does not require pointing a gun at someone or even drawing it from a holster.

I won’t attempt to justify or debate the law or to predict what an LEO would do or not do in response to a complaint that, “I was just walking up to this dude to ask him if there was a restaurant around here when he stares at me and puts his hand on a gun. Man, that freaked me out!” The statute has, however, been interpreted very broadly. Its annotations make it clear that merely holding a gun without pointing it at the victim can be an offense.

Colorado Revised Statute 18-3-206

(1) A person commits the crime of menacing if, by any threat or physical action, he or she knowingly places or attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury.  Menacing is a class 3 misdemeanor, but, it is a class 5 felony if committed:
(a) By the use of a deadly weapon or any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon;  or
(b) By the person representing verbally or otherwise that he or she is armed with a deadly weapon.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider: The direct eye contact thing works for me ...

You had just eaten a Ball Park hot dog?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I check things out carefully when I drive up and before I get out.
When filling, I have my back against the car(SUV) so it mostly covers me from behind and keep an eye on anyone nearby.
Always look for credit card skimmers on the pump too.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Due to work and travels I have filled up a great deal between 2200 and 0600. I always check around to spot the zombies and most times I am pocket carrying so I keep a hand in my pocket.

Normally eye contact keeps them at bay...if not a firm no has worked

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
I always build myself a little zone of protection with the gas hose on one side, open car door on the other, and all other doors locked. At 6'4" 250lbs, anyone that has decided to approach me gets my attention.

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This is one reason why I don't like the fill port on the opposite side of the car from the driver.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If you're pumping gas and the miscreant is close enough, you have a short-range weapon ready to hand - the hose/nozzle. A face or snootful of gas will at least distract him.

I've never used a gas nozzle outside of the gas opening on my car. In a "defensive" position, just how far will it "shoot?" 12 inches? 18 inches?

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This should help:

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The idea of spraying an attacker with fuel is beyond ridiculous and in most places, not possible. The fuel won't flow until the vapor screen is compressed on the nozzle.

I have been in a few areas that were not good areas, and have elected not to stop for fuel. There may be a few exceptions such as buying fuel in an impending natural disaster, but having travelled all over the country, I have never felt that stopping at a gas station represents a threat.

Staying heads up is always a good idea, but if an area is such a hazard that one is afraid of attack at the gas pumps, it may be better to fill up elsewhere.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

...but if an area is such a hazard that one is afraid of attack at the gas pumps, it may be better to fill up elsewhere.

Great advice, but when the "gas up now" light is flashing you don't have good options. Yeah, you should never let it get that low, but sometimes you don't have good options.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The idea of spraying an attacker with fuel is beyond ridiculous and in most places, not possible. The fuel won't flow until the vapor screen is compressed on the nozzle.

Define "most places".
I haven't seen one in years and just got back from a 4 state drive last month.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider: The direct eye contact thing works for me ...

You had just eaten a Ball Park hot dog?

Nope, icing from a birthday cake at my club's pavilion. Few beers before and after.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post