SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Almost shot a couple of guys the other night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost shot a couple of guys the other night Login/Join 
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted
Coming out of a local store near my house when two men came out of the darkness asking for a ride to a road I know is a dead end and very dark and secluded. I said "Sorry I can't" at which time the taller of the two circles around behind me and the smaller of the two keeps me engaged by talking and advancing. I did a quick step back with a glance to see how close the big guy was (about 5 paces from me) as the little one kept coming. I eased back my jacket and set my grip on my weapon. It was dark and I really don't know if he saw my weapon or that my hand was set to go into action but he backed off said he was sorry to bother me. I didn't unholster my weapon because in this state if I had he could have pressed charges as an assault upon him (screwed up state). Plus I have been trained never to unholster weapon unless you are going to use it on the threat. I post this almost as a PSA to be on your guard no matter where you are even if you feel safe you could still be a target. Had the one advanced any further the Sheriff's Department would have some reports to write and lots of videos to watch as where I was there are about six cameras in the general area. I'm glad it didn't go any further as the BS one would have to deal with is a pain. Keep your head on swivel 24/7 it's close to Christmas and the creeps come out to feed. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you were prepared and did well to prevent being a victim. I would hate to have to shoot someone but wouldn't hesitate if the need arose. I'm glad things worked out well for you Chris and thank you for the reminder to always be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to defend yourself if need be.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did well. But how did you get a permit in MD???

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Did you report the incident?
Local LEOs need to be looking for those 2 fellas to discuss what they were up to.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
For my business, I have had a Wear Carry permit for a few years and yes you do have to jump thru hoops to get it. Little or no 2A in this state. As far reporting, I guess I should have but I was glad the encounter was done without harm to anyone, I was in the truck and gone. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did fine. Same thing I would have done.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
I was in the truck and gone. Chris

And they probably went to look for another victim. You did good, but even now I would suggest contacting the police and letting them know the whole thing was on camera. If they want to follow up with it, or are actively trying to ID and find these guys because there are other victims, you can go from having protected yourself to helping protect others. If they don’t want to follow up on it, hey, you still did the right thing.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I'll ask the store owner what he has got. I know he has a nice system and keeps 10 days on the DVR. I think I can get him to thumb drive the encounter. Most likely local crack/smack heads as we have a few in that part of the county. Chris

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
+1 on the reporting.

I’m in my 15th year carrying and to get different perspectives always choose a different instructor for each renewal class.

My most recent instructor was a retired cop and he was adamant about calling the police and reporting if you have to pull, or even suggest that you have a firearm. (Like the OP did).

He said by doing that it prevented the bad-guys from getting the upper hand and reporting YOU first; suddenly the cops are watching the videos looking for you and asking why you were the aggressor.

Says it happens more often than you might think.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
You did well. But how did you get a permit in MD???

Big Grin

don't ask don't tell
Wink

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your story. I find myself carrying more and more these days.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
I didn't unholster my weapon because in this state if I had he could have pressed charges as an assault upon him (screwed up state).

In Colorado even making it clear one has a gun and is prepared to use it could result in a “menacing” charge. No relevance to your situation, of course, but it’s important for everyone to know their local laws.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flashlight! Light 'em up and go defensive. I carry a Zebralight SC62 1000 lumen, small and powerful. OP did well. With the newer, lightweight, compact lights... I say... 'Light 'em up'.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Glad you didn't have to shoot.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and throwing a cigarette into the ditch could result in an arson charge. I wouldn't worry.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Just don't get it stuck in your mind that if you pull a gun, you must shoot it. I see that nonsense all over the internet, and it's exactly nonsense. Anyone that trains people with that "advice" is a shit trainer.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post