SIGforum
Seat protection

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/5020078134

October 17, 2017, 12:54 AM
Glenn
Seat protection
Do any of you put something over your seat to prevent your firearm from wearing a hole or scratching the leather? I just sold an F250 that had gotten a hole worn in the leather due to my handgun.

Picking up a Shelby GT500. Not going to f-up the leather on this thing.

Any suggestions? Needs to look good too.
October 17, 2017, 01:22 AM
YooperSigs
My patrol car used to have a similar issue. My only suggestion would be to try a cross draw holster. Some folks feel it offers better access when seated in a vehicle and clears a seat belt better than a strong side holster. At one point there were several custom makers who made a specialty holster for driving. I have not shopped for one in quite a while so I don't know if they are still offered. I once tried a holster system that attached to the steering column under the steering wheel. It worked but I kept getting out of the car and forgetting my gun!
As for seat covers, I have tried that but would guess they would show wear fairly quickly too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
October 17, 2017, 11:36 AM
az4783054
My C7 Z06 has serious seat bolsters. I have carried forward of the hip for many years to avoid the issue.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
October 17, 2017, 10:14 PM
Glenn
Picking it up tomorrow and I'm going to try appendix carry. I never had a problem while wearing a gun belt since the cuff case and other items on the back helped prevent the butt of the gun from digging into the seat.

Will try a few different options. Thanks for the responses.
October 22, 2017, 11:56 PM
abnmacv
Shoulder holster is perfect for driving.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member
November 01, 2017, 07:16 PM
kilyung
I have a separate holster attached to my car. While I dislike having to transfer my gun getting in/out of the car it does help a) comfort, b) preserve my seat, c) and make accessing my gun while seated 100x easier.
November 29, 2017, 10:50 PM
bigdogtx
Kangaroo carry
January 03, 2018, 08:12 PM
Rodfac
quote:
I have a separate holster attached to my car. While I dislike having to transfer my gun getting in/out of the car it does help a) comfort, b) preserve my seat, c) and make accessing my gun while seated 100x easier.
Yep, me too. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.
January 07, 2018, 10:40 AM
EasyFire
I generally pocket carry or use a vest for either my J-frame or Sig 938 as appropriate.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI
March 04, 2018, 01:08 AM
Bobofbone
Wear a coat. I have for years. there might be a bit of wear on the lining, but linings can easily be replaced.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton
April 24, 2018, 02:14 PM
fredj338
Keep a clip on cross draw in the truck & just switch out as you get in & out.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading
April 27, 2018, 05:16 PM
LtJL
A shoulder holster, or off-body are the only things I have found to prevent seat back wear.
May 22, 2018, 07:52 PM
odin
I bought heavy-duty seat covers (camo) for my pickup. I carry daily back & forth to work and the seat covers show little wear! It's been 8 years now!