SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Seat protection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seat protection Login/Join 
Picture of Glenn
posted
Do any of you put something over your seat to prevent your firearm from wearing a hole or scratching the leather? I just sold an F250 that had gotten a hole worn in the leather due to my handgun.

Picking up a Shelby GT500. Not going to f-up the leather on this thing.

Any suggestions? Needs to look good too.

Posts: 614 | Registered: January 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My patrol car used to have a similar issue. My only suggestion would be to try a cross draw holster. Some folks feel it offers better access when seated in a vehicle and clears a seat belt better than a strong side holster. At one point there were several custom makers who made a specialty holster for driving. I have not shopped for one in quite a while so I don't know if they are still offered. I once tried a holster system that attached to the steering column under the steering wheel. It worked but I kept getting out of the car and forgetting my gun!
As for seat covers, I have tried that but would guess they would show wear fairly quickly too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
My C7 Z06 has serious seat bolsters. I have carried forward of the hip for many years to avoid the issue.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Glenn
posted Hide Post
Picking it up tomorrow and I'm going to try appendix carry. I never had a problem while wearing a gun belt since the cuff case and other items on the back helped prevent the butt of the gun from digging into the seat.

Will try a few different options. Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 614 | Registered: January 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Shoulder holster is perfect for driving.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1531 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a separate holster attached to my car. While I dislike having to transfer my gun getting in/out of the car it does help a) comfort, b) preserve my seat, c) and make accessing my gun while seated 100x easier.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kangaroo carry

Posts: 10 | Registered: October 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a separate holster attached to my car. While I dislike having to transfer my gun getting in/out of the car it does help a) comfort, b) preserve my seat, c) and make accessing my gun while seated 100x easier.
Yep, me too. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I generally pocket carry or use a vest for either my J-frame or Sig 938 as appropriate.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wear a coat. I have for years. there might be a bit of wear on the lining, but linings can easily be replaced.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Keep a clip on cross draw in the truck & just switch out as you get in & out.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
A shoulder holster, or off-body are the only things I have found to prevent seat back wear.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I bought heavy-duty seat covers (camo) for my pickup. I carry daily back & forth to work and the seat covers show little wear! It's been 8 years now!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post