SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Do you use different methods of carry, or stick to just one?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you use different methods of carry, or stick to just one? Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
With more free time on my hands I find myself thinking of such things. Full disclosure: I haven't carried often in a long time. The sun keeps coming up regardless, but like I said I've been giving this a think lately.

I prefer shoulder holsters when possible, and it works alright since about eight months out of the year I could do it without any undue attention.

Also like 3 or 9 o'clock OWB, or pocket carry for other times.

Yet I can see the logic in never changing to keep things simple.

So, what say you?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I carry whichever way gives me the most firepower, contingent upon mode of dress and where I'm going to be. I carry at 4 o'clock, either IWB or OWB, more than any other. At the extremes: I OC at 3 o'clock in the woods and pocket carry when no cover garment and concealed is called for. I have a shoulder rig for my P239 SAS, but rarely carry that way.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
95% of the time: OWB at 3 o'clock. Why? That was where my duty holster was on my gunbelt. And my draw from this position is pretty much reflex.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
On weekends when I can dress in an untucked shirt I like the comfort of my bravo concealment owb at 3 o'clock. During the work week I wear a tucked in polo shirt 99% of the time so I've found aiwb to be the most efficient.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My main carry method is OWB or IWB at 4:00. I do have several other options like shoulder rigs, ankle holsters, fanny packs, pocket holster, etc... too, this allows me to continue to carry anytime/anywhere. But really, almost 99% of my carry is at 4:00.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've carried a pistol everyday since 1970. I've carried in every manner conceived by man. I always return to strong side (iwb/owb), just in front of the hip.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Working- 3:00 OWB
Offduty- AIWB

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Yes. I change it up depending on what I’m carrying and wearing. Mostly, a Galco ankle holster or PJ Custom IWB.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Right front pocket carry 90% of the time. 3:30 on the right side unless it's a rare shoulder holster day.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I have a standard carry method which includes a gun and holster that is strongly preferred...however, depending on expected circumstances and required dress, my preference is adjusted to accommodate these changes.

Walking or seated and driving with a seat belt in place, concealed or open carry, street casual/ suit and tie/ cold weather or hot weather, will there be a need to remove the gun or will it be carried constantly, do I have any expectations of being touched or hugged, will I be doing light normal daily activities or do I have any plans of doing fairly heavy physical activity?

Plan and adjust accordingly.

Having said all that, interesting situations occur when the unplanned happens...which has put me in uncomfortable predicaments, but I roll with it as best I can and make less than optimal adjustments.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^ Sooo, how DO you carry? Care to share.... Wink

ETA - My methods of carry as follows:

Shoulder Holster ~ 60% of the time, and MUCH preferred for driving or when wearing a bulky jacket (cooler months)
OWB Concealed ~ 30% of the time at 4:00, but Open Carry to & from / at the range
Chest Holster < 5% of the time. Open Carry or under partly zipped jacket when hiking/walking trails outdoors in a Gunfighters Inc - Kenai Chest Rig

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Multiple. Dictated by dress code & activity

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Multiple. Dictated by dress code & activity

Same here. Weapons range from LCP to G-19, always with a spare mag.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Looks like fanny packs are back in style!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
As I had thought. Seems no one views muscle memory as the primary concern.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
As I had thought. Seems no one views muscle memory as the primary concern.

Not so fast. I have, over the course of my career, probably tens of thousands of reps of presenting, or at least going to grip, my handgun in its primary location. Granted, there may be special circumstances that require a specialized rig, but my default method of carry doesn't change. I adapt to it, not vice-versa.

Do you wear your wallet in different locations? Or your watch?

As a trainer, it hurts my head when the other detectives in my agency decide to switch to thigh rigs and the like when we go out to serve warrants. Those are circumstances when they are arguably likely to have to draw the gun, but they are moving them from the location that it is normally carried to one they haven't practiced or trained to draw from.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
On duty, I carry in an OWB duty retention holster 95% of the time, and an IWB concealment holster 5% of the time.

Off duty, I carry in an IWB concealment holster 90% of the time, and an OWB concealment holster 10% of the time.

All of those are carried at ~3:30ish, so there's minimal difference between my draw from an IWB concealment holster, OWB concealment holster, or OWB duty retention holster.

The only time I do anything different is when I occasionally toss my P365 (or my Kahr PM9 or S&W 642 before that) in my gym shorts pocket in a pocket holster to mow the lawn or do other sweaty outside housework.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
At work, I carry an LCP in a pocket holster because it's a physical job and we have to wear a uniform with a tucked in shirt.

Everywhere else, its AIWB Glock 19.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IWB or OWB in between 3 and 4 o' clock depending on season.
I won't do appendix carry or shoulder holster.
I did pocket carry for a while years ago but never stayed with it.
I like habit and routine.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
When wearing jeans or cargos, I carry my 239 in a VMII

Dress clothes, I switch to my P3AT in a Big River Leather pocket holster

When fishing for salmon and steelhead in waders, I have a GP100 in .44 Spl and a custom Kydex holster that clips to the top of my waders

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post