SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    looking to buy/order a paddle holster with a thumb snap
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking to buy/order a paddle holster with a thumb snap Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
hello, my new position, elected to Constable, will require me to take my gun on/off way more than before, I am looking for a paddle holster, rides low, has a thumb retention snap and can be had for both a glock 22 and a FS Beretta 92a1,

any suggestions??
tfl

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Check out KRAMER HOLSTERS, they show paddle holsters in their product line. Neither SPARKS nor ROSEN show paddle holsters, nor do the other high end makers.

Another option is a snap loop owb holster. Most well known makers offer those.

I have no information on the off the shelf holsters like GALCO, BIANCHI, HUME, DESANTIS, etc. Paddle holsters are not as popular as when I was working.

Check out a law enforcement supply vendor such as copsplus.com They show some paddle holsters.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
21 yrs on the job and I hear ya, I have seen so many changes, most not good

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
My most comfortable paddle holsters are Safariland 5181, which is the open top version of the Safariland 518 which has a thumb break retention.

Looks like they have models of the Safariland 518 for both the Beretta (# 518-73-61) and the Glock (# 518-83-61).

It’s a high ride holster so it’s easily concealable with a shirt or jacket, and the slight forward cant puts the grip in a natural angle.

Can’t find it at the Safariland website, so they may be discontinued, but I saw inventory at some other websites.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
i have had 2 over ther years, loved em ! trying to find one in stock is ruff, most show them discontinued

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
i went with Black Hills, good stuff and quick reply to my EM,

thanks again fellas !

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Another option is a snap loop owb holster. Most well known makers offer those.

That's be my recommendation, and what I used when I had a position that required frequent on/off.

Besides, paddles are kinda counter-productive on a holster with retention... Snap loops are a lot more secure on the belt, but just as easy on/off.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Whenever the subject of holsters comes up I always recommend Garrett holsters. Ron makes some excellent holsters. Kydex outside and lined inside with leather. You're going to spend over $100 probably but a holster is something I never cared to skimp on. I have a number of his holsters and vouch for them. He has several different mounting systems that are quick on and off. Check them out.
Link

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Sent you an e-mail, Shawn.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
For the love of God, do not get a Galco paddle. Unless they've changed the design, the lip on the paddle is pathetic. Drawing the gun usually took the whole holster off the belt.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
For the love of God, do not get a Galco paddle. Unless they've changed the design, the lip on the paddle is pathetic. Drawing the gun usually took the whole holster off the belt.

The paddle getting dislodged is a concern with every paddle holster I've ever seen/handled (especially in a fight over your weapon), with one exception: The Kramer MSP paddle has an additional snap belt loop to hold it on the belt.

But if you're going to have one snap loop with your paddle, you might as well just ditch the paddle altogether and go with two snap loops. Big Grin

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kramer does make paddle holsters with a retention snap. I bought one off Flea-bay for a 228. First thing I did was cut it off; but, I am not in LE either. Super comfortable, unbeatable quality. Just got my belt scabbard for my USP 40. Wore it out shopping, seeing friends, etc all day yesterday. So comfortable I forgot it was back there.

Posts: 1637 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Tauris holster is your friend! Mike offers a pancake styled, snap detachable style holster with an optional thumb-break as well as adjustable tension for good retention as well as easy on/off capability. Check out his Reinforced Snap Mount Holster (R.S.M.H.):

http://www.taurisholsters.com/snap-reinforced.cfm

Loop styled reinforced high ride holster with thumb-break and adjustable tension shown for comparison: http://www.taurisholsters.com/reinhighride.cfm

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post