SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Pocket carry, an LCP, and comfortable khakis
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket carry, an LCP, and comfortable khakis Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I suppose I'm posting this as sort of a "beware" item.

A couple of weeks ago I was going about my chores, comfy khakis on and trusty LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis in my front pocket. All was well, my work list for the day was finished, and it was time for some porch sitting.

Grabbed a book and a glass of water, sat down in my comfy porch chair, and set to relaxing. Time passed, it got dark, and it was time to go inside. When I got inside, I went through the routine "pocket dump" and found something unnerving: LCP was gone!

Evidently (and probably with help from my too-relaxed posture in that chair) LCP had sneaked out of the Nemesis and clean out of my pocket without me knowing about it.

I rushed back to the porch and LCP was there in the chair.

Note to self: check pockets when standing up! Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In a normal sitting position it is hard for me to see how the gun could have slipped out. Did you lie down or fall asleep?

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Neither, but I'll admit I was in a pretty good "slouch."

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Normally the LCP should fit snugly and deep in the holster, then the holster gripped by the inside of the pocket.

No matter what, at least you caught it all on the comfort of the home porch, not a restaurant chair.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
As others have said, glad this happened at the homestead and not out and about.

At one time I carried a Glock 26 in a DeSantis Nemesis, often in the generously-sized front pocket of my favorite cargo shorts (the normal slash-cut front pockets, not the cargo pockets).

I did have the whole affair slip out of the pocket once while working under a pickup truck. Thankfully, I was by myself in my own driveway / garage. Wasn't real tickled by the experience just the same. Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
No matter what, at least you caught it all on the comfort of the home porch, not a restaurant chair.

Very true. Had I been out and about, I likely would have gone about it all a little differently anyway, but you're right: far better than a slip take place at home than in public.

God bless America.

Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I suppose I'm posting this as sort of a "beware" item.

A couple of weeks ago I was going about my chores, comfy khakis on and trusty LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis in my front pocket. All was well, my work list for the day was finished, and it was time for some porch sitting.

Grabbed a book and a glass of water, sat down in my comfy porch chair, and set to relaxing. Time passed, it got dark, and it was time to go inside. When I got inside, I went through the routine "pocket dump" and found something unnerving: LCP was gone!

Evidently (and probably with help from my too-relaxed posture in that chair) LCP had sneaked out of the Nemesis and clean out of my pocket without me knowing about it.

I rushed back to the porch and LCP was there in the chair.

Note to self: check pockets when standing up! Eek

That's exactly why I don't use a Nemesis - there's no "grab" between the holster and the firearm. For me, I've had much better luck with a properly fitted leather or horsehide pocket holster.

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormin:
That's exactly why I don't use a Nemesis - there's no "grab" between the holster and the firearm. For me, I've had much better luck with a properly fitted leather or horsehide pocket holster.

That's fair. Do you have a recommendation for fitting my LCP?

God bless America.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormin:

And this is exactly why I DO use a Nemesis; it's the only pocket holster that stays in the pocket when drawing and not still attached to the gun like leather and Kydex.

OP, you mentioned a "pocket dump", are you carrying other stuff in that pocket with the LCP? IMO, there should ONLY be two things in that pocket ever: the pistol and the holster it's in.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
PASIG, you're correct... nothing else is in the pocket when LCP is a long for the ride.
I probably should have said "pocket check" instead.

God bless America.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Glad it happened at your home. I really don't like pocket carry for my Ruger LCPII, as its useless sitting down. But I purchased several holsters for it when I first purchased it.

This is a cheap leather pocket holster, from Ebay, I only use it occassionally. I have a IWB Kydex I use the majority of the time.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I really don't like pocket carry for my Ruger LCPII, as it's useless sitting down.

I can't disagree... pocket carry stinks when sitting, regardless of which gun is on duty.

God bless America.