SIGforum
Belt life expectancy

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/4400050844

October 07, 2018, 11:22 PM
400m
Belt life expectancy
What is the longest you have worn a leather CCW belt on a daily basis before you had to retire it?
October 08, 2018, 01:24 AM
DMF
I don't know, because the Kramer double thick horsehide belt I bought about 15 years ago is still going strong. I'm sure someday it will no longer be serviceable, but that day is a long way off.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman
October 08, 2018, 06:35 AM
bobandmikako
My oldest good belt is from The Beltman. It's only about 10 years old with no end in sight. I do rotate wear nowadays with a Wilderness Tactial and another leather gunbelt in a different color, so between all of them, I doubt I'll need to buy anymore belts for another 10 years unless it's a nice dress belt which I don't have.

十人十色
October 08, 2018, 11:25 AM
az4783054
I've got 25 years on my BIANCHI double stitch 1.75" belt. It's been my only daily use belt. Originally tan but I stained it black. Unfortunately, it's no where near as stiff as it was originally. Last year I bought a new BIANCHI (aka SAFARILAND) belt.

In one year the new belt wasn't any better than the old belt. They don't make them like they used to, so I went back to the old belt.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
October 08, 2018, 12:54 PM
YooperSigs
My Ex bought a DeSantis belt for me many years ago. Never wore it out but got too fat to wear it. Then went to a Spec-Ops nylon belt. Same situation occurred.
Now wearing a Hanks belt. I may be able to wear it at my funeral.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
October 08, 2018, 03:30 PM
220-9er
My 10 year old Beltman looks like there is a lot more life in it.
I put some Obenauf's on it every year or so.

October 08, 2018, 07:30 PM
henryarnaud
I've got 2 Beltman belts, 1.5" and 1.25", that I've been using for probably 6-7 years with minimal care and they're nowhere near retirement.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
October 08, 2018, 08:02 PM
egregore
I have had a Beltman for 12 years and it still looks and works good.
October 08, 2018, 08:19 PM
Chris Anchor
Like others I buy only double thick (2 layer) belts. They are made for carry. Mine hold up very well except I found that the newer molded plastic holster will fray stitching. I went back to leather. I get about 3 years before I need to have leather smith redo stiffen belt. Chris
October 09, 2018, 05:53 PM
hft119
15 years on my gun belt, made by Wild Bill
It is as good now as when purchased

NRA Benefactor
GOA
October 09, 2018, 06:26 PM
RogueJSK
I have leather gun belts that are 12 years old, with only minimal wear on the edges from hard plastic holster loops, and the occasional scuff on the body.

Nylon gun belts tend to last for fewer years, since the edges (especially at the front of the tongue) will begin to fray, and the velcro starts to come unstitched. But even then, you're looking at 6ish years of frequent use before they start to wear out.
October 09, 2018, 06:37 PM
Edmond
2-3 years for me. I'm very hard on belts. They end up warping.

October 28, 2018, 01:32 PM
chongosuerte
I’ve got a sharkskin Rafter S belt that has seen a lot of use since I got it in 2005 or 2006.

Still looks almost like new.

Unfortunately they shut down several years ago.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
November 02, 2018, 07:21 PM
odin
I've got some Mitch Rosen belts that are 20+ yrs. old and just got replaced. The belts are still good, but I've lost 4" off my waist in the past 3 years. Had to buy a new 36" belt! LOL
November 08, 2018, 06:36 PM
Paddy314
I have a horsehide belt from Wild Bill's Concealment that is 17 years old. I have worn it almost daily since I bought it new. Got as a set with a holster and mag pouch for a Glock 36. The 36 didn't work out but the belt was worth the investment. Still going strong.
December 10, 2018, 09:56 AM
sjp
I wear a belt i got from comp tac in 2005 every day, with little signs of wear
December 10, 2018, 05:49 PM
Ryanp225
Mike at Armour made my belt.
My life expectancy is probably shorter than his stuff. Smile
December 11, 2018, 03:28 PM
SgtGold
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Nylon gun belts tend to last for fewer years, since the edges (especially at the front of the tongue) will begin to fray, and the velcro starts to come unstitched. But even then, you're looking at 6ish years of frequent use before they start to wear out.

I have three Wilderness Tactical belts. One is my work belt which sees 40+ hours per week with a tool load that's heavier than any CCW setup. The other two keep my pants up when I'm not at work. So far it's been 10 years with no belt maintenance what so ever.

December 13, 2018, 10:20 AM
LoboGunLeather
Past 12 years I have been using the Lobo Gun Leather B8 two-layer leather belts. Since I owned the company I made 4 for myself. One has been my everyday belt ever since with no signs of ever wearing out.

New owners Mark Fedders & family are still making the same product line with some additions of their own that I like a lot. Contact Lobo Gun Leather for details.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders
January 18, 2019, 03:36 PM
bahs11
I have a 1.5 in. Bullhide Belt from the Beltman I've been using 99.9% of the time.
It is 11 + years old and still going strong.
It's not as pretty as when New but does it's job as it should.