SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Belt life expectancy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belt life expectancy Login/Join 
posted
What is the longest you have worn a leather CCW belt on a daily basis before you had to retire it?

Posts: 900 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I don't know, because the Kramer double thick horsehide belt I bought about 15 years ago is still going strong. I'm sure someday it will no longer be serviceable, but that day is a long way off.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
My oldest good belt is from The Beltman. It's only about 10 years old with no end in sight. I do rotate wear nowadays with a Wilderness Tactial and another leather gunbelt in a different color, so between all of them, I doubt I'll need to buy anymore belts for another 10 years unless it's a nice dress belt which I don't have.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've got 25 years on my BIANCHI double stitch 1.75" belt. It's been my only daily use belt. Originally tan but I stained it black. Unfortunately, it's no where near as stiff as it was originally. Last year I bought a new BIANCHI (aka SAFARILAND) belt.

In one year the new belt wasn't any better than the old belt. They don't make them like they used to, so I went back to the old belt.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Ex bought a DeSantis belt for me many years ago. Never wore it out but got too fat to wear it. Then went to a Spec-Ops nylon belt. Same situation occurred.
Now wearing a Hanks belt. I may be able to wear it at my funeral.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My 10 year old Beltman looks like there is a lot more life in it.
I put some Obenauf's on it every year or so.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 Beltman belts, 1.5" and 1.25", that I've been using for probably 6-7 years with minimal care and they're nowhere near retirement.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have had a Beltman for 12 years and it still looks and works good.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Like others I buy only double thick (2 layer) belts. They are made for carry. Mine hold up very well except I found that the newer molded plastic holster will fray stitching. I went back to leather. I get about 3 years before I need to have leather smith redo stiffen belt. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Virtute et Armis
Picture of hft119
posted Hide Post
15 years on my gun belt, made by Wild Bill
It is as good now as when purchased

NRA Benefactor
GOA

Posts: 128 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have leather gun belts that are 12 years old, with only minimal wear on the edges from hard plastic holster loops, and the occasional scuff on the body.

Nylon gun belts tend to last for fewer years, since the edges (especially at the front of the tongue) will begin to fray, and the velcro starts to come unstitched. But even then, you're looking at 6ish years of frequent use before they start to wear out.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
2-3 years for me. I'm very hard on belts. They end up warping.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a sharkskin Rafter S belt that has seen a lot of use since I got it in 2005 or 2006.

Still looks almost like new.

Unfortunately they shut down several years ago.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I've got some Mitch Rosen belts that are 20+ yrs. old and just got replaced. The belts are still good, but I've lost 4" off my waist in the past 3 years. Had to buy a new 36" belt! LOL

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I have a horsehide belt from Wild Bill's Concealment that is 17 years old. I have worn it almost daily since I bought it new. Got as a set with a holster and mag pouch for a Glock 36. The 36 didn't work out but the belt was worth the investment. Still going strong.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a belt i got from comp tac in 2005 every day, with little signs of wear

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Mike at Armour made my belt.
My life expectancy is probably shorter than his stuff. Smile

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Nylon gun belts tend to last for fewer years, since the edges (especially at the front of the tongue) will begin to fray, and the velcro starts to come unstitched. But even then, you're looking at 6ish years of frequent use before they start to wear out.

I have three Wilderness Tactical belts. One is my work belt which sees 40+ hours per week with a tool load that's heavier than any CCW setup. The other two keep my pants up when I'm not at work. So far it's been 10 years with no belt maintenance what so ever.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Past 12 years I have been using the Lobo Gun Leather B8 two-layer leather belts. Since I owned the company I made 4 for myself. One has been my everyday belt ever since with no signs of ever wearing out.

New owners Mark Fedders & family are still making the same product line with some additions of their own that I like a lot. Contact Lobo Gun Leather for details.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1.5 in. Bullhide Belt from the Beltman I've been using 99.9% of the time.
It is 11 + years old and still going strong.
It's not as pretty as when New but does it's job as it should.

Posts: 462 | Location: NW Indiana  | Registered: January 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post