SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Are you tied to a specific weapon on your CCP
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Are you tied to a specific weapon on your CCP Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
My duty gun is a S&W M&P9.

My backup is a ruger LCR

I rarely carry one without the other. So I am administratively tied to those two.

I could carry something else with range master approval. Due to the way I shoot this is simply a phone call no need to qual with it.

You're talking duty carry only, right? Because Wa. has no restrictions for permit holders at all.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 5939 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
North caroline has no such restrictions. Whatever you want to carry as a sidearm, however CCP'S do NOT cover anything except a type of firearm.

You may also qualify with whatever you want to and then carry whatever you wish.

What does your state say?

Michigan is the same in all respects. (Assuming that, by "whatever firearm," you mean "whatever handgun firearm.")

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 12101 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

My backup is a ruger LCR

I rarely carry one without the other. So I am administratively tied to those two.

I could carry something else with range master approval. Due to the way I shoot this is simply a phone call no need to qual with it.

You're talking duty carry only, right? Because Wa. has no restrictions for permit holders at all.

Jim

Duty and off duty. I don't have a CPL. I carry as an off duty officer meaning I have to carry with what I qualify with. I could carry "anything" but I may not be legally covered if the shooting goes wrong. Citing I was using an unauthorized weapon.

Posts: 8923 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Report This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

My backup is a ruger LCR

Jim

Duty and off duty. I don't have a CPL. I carry as an off duty officer meaning I have to carry with what I qualify with. I could carry "anything" but I may not be legally covered if the shooting goes wrong. Citing I was using an unauthorized weapon.

You are aware of the LEOSA, yes?

Posts: 1240 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I can't even imagine being tied to a specific weapon or having restrictions on it's function. Mad

Posts: 14183 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My dept (I'm reserve) has a similar policy. We have to qualify with on duty BUGs (which makes total sense) but we're also supposed to qualify with what they call "off duty guns." I qualify with my G-26 for use as an on duty BUG.

I have an IA permit with no tie in to any weapon. Off duty (which is 99% of the time for me) I carry whatever I want.

It gets muddier when carrying out of state under LEOSA, my dept requires qualification and logs serial numbers.

Posts: 12250 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
We can carry any handgun we want in Louisiana. Maybe a few at the time.

Posts: 11802 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nevada used to make you qualify and list weapons.
No longer.

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 2436 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Texas used to distinguish between revolvers and semi-autos, but now does not. There is one permit only.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 44345 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, in Illinois we can carry our handgun of choice and as many as we want.

Dan

Posts: 1845 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My NY permit listed the guns right on it.

At least I had a NY permit when I lived there.

plus I was young...I only had 3 pistols

Posts: 6321 | Location: DFW is home but currently in PHX | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
fugitive from reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:

LEOSA is a complicated issue. There have been several cases where corrections officers have used the law to carry off duty even though their departments don't allow 'on the badge' carry. AFAIK no one has been involved in an off duty shooting with a weapon not blessed by their department.

NY for all it's 2a issues doesn't restrict what you can carry. If you own it you can carry it. And unlike other states there is no live fire qualification required to get a pistol license.

Posts: 5362 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

LEOSA is a complicated issue...

Yup. VERY complicated, and more if you're a reserve like me. Here's a recent article:

http://www.policemag.com/chann...leosa-privilege.aspx

Posts: 12250 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Kentucky is unrestricted. You can qualify with a different pistol than you carry, and your permit doesn't specify what you carry. It's nice to re-evaluate my carry options and change without having to involve any governmental agency.

JPFO Life Member
Kentucky State Rifle & Pistol Association Member

Posts: 1116 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:

LEOSA is a complicated issue. There have been several cases where corrections officers have used the law to carry off duty even though their departments don't allow 'on the badge' carry. AFAIK no one has been involved in an off duty shooting with a weapon not blessed by their department.

NY for all it's 2a issues doesn't restrict what you can carry. If you own it you can carry it. And unlike other states there is no live fire qualification required to get a pistol license.

In addition, you may be good to go under the federal law, but your department can still discipline you for violating policy, and your state's certifiying agency may suspend your certification due to violating state administrative code.

It's a mess.

-------------------------------
Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 9415 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Not here in Idaho. And no restrictions for the constitutional carry.

And let me add, please, that when you get a CCW here in Idaho it doen't just make it lawful for you to be armed with a pistol. It means you can lawfully carry ANY type of concealed weapon, and as many of 'em as you want, in any combination that you want to carry at any time, too, ie: knives, black-jacks, crow bars, brass knuckles, et al. You could legally conceal a 12-ga shotgun if you could figure out how to do it.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3211 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
No restrictions in WA, anything you like.

Posts: 5149 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
New Mexico:

Revolver or semi (or both), whatever you qualify with. And no caliber larger than what you qualify with.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

Posts: 2184 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
No restrictions here.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9036 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Ugh. What ignorant moron makes up these juvenile laws?

Seriously??? If you have purchased a 226 and licensed it as a concealed carry. How the funk is the state going to know you are safe enough to carry a 229?!?!? That 1/2' difference in essentially the same gun could cause the planets to collide if used improperly.

We have no restrictions where I live. Once you pay fee and wait around 30 days to get the permit you are GTG with whatever you feel like strapping on that day. No permission needed to swap your carry weapon if you make a new purchase.

I used to think VA was a R state and conservative, it's not so much anymore. I fear that things could go wrong with a few more McAwefuls and Kaines in leadership.

My state leaders are in bed with the Clintons and the morons around me keep electing these corrupt POSs.

Sorry to turn political, but gosh I hate the State of my State.

Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others

Posts: 9956 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post