SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Mass non-resident LTC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mass non-resident LTC Login/Join 
posted
Anyone gone through this? My office is near the MA border and occasionally things come up that take me down there and I don't like having to disarm to do so. From what I understand getting a non-restricted LTC as a non-resident is a bit tough and normally requires a specific threat to your safety. Getting a target/sporting or whatever they call it sounds like it's more common and this would serve some benefit as occasionally one of my colleagues goes shooting with an in-law in MA and I've been invited but it's a bit of a drag not being able to bring any of my stuff so I've never been.

Thoughts?

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I'll just share some thoughts.

I lived in MA for over a decade, and left when Bush II was president.. Carry permit was a no can do. Not possible without connections.

I had a buddy who was a COP, and he couldn't get a carry permit. He was a volunteer/auxiliary, but he'd had the training and passed the background checks to be a cop, just wasn't hired/paid/official. He certainly had all the right friends. But no.

I can't allow it's gotten any *easier* to get a carry permit there since.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I live in RI and work in MA. If you live in MA, it’s completely dependent on the town. Some are good about issuing class A no restrictions, others are so bad you are told don’t bother. I known one person with a non res permit. He has had it for maybe 15 years. He said that it’s a process designed to make you give up. It’s only good for a year and he starts the process six months before his permit is up. You have to go to Chelsea to “interview “ each year. Good luck if you decide to give it a try.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
I live in RI and work in MA. If you live in MA, it’s completely dependent on the town. Some are good about issuing class A no restrictions, others are so bad you are told don’t bother. I known one person with a non res permit. He has had it for maybe 15 years. He said that it’s a process designed to make you give up. It’s only good for a year and he starts the process six months before his permit is up. You have to go to Chelsea to “interview “ each year. Good luck if you decide to give it a try.

You don't need to show in person annually any longer, just every 6 years. But, you do need to renew annually at $100 a pop for the non-resi license. To get an unrestricted, which allows concealed carry, is difficult.

For resident licenses, the vast majority of cities and towns do issue unrestricted licenses to their residents. There are some nefarious localities that actually add their own requirements, above and beyond State law, to make gun ownership difficult.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
Most people find it is very straight-forward to get an out of state LTC these days. I have several friends from RI, CT, and NH that have done it. Go online and find the application and give it a try. It won't cost you a kidney or a child or anything crazy.

Posts: 274 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barry1967
posted Hide Post
You do have to take a Mass certified class, and you have to go to Chealsea in person the first time. If you have a home state permit, Ma isn't to bad to get, but 100 per year sucks.

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post