SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Small of The Back Holster
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small of The Back Holster Login/Join 
posted
So after several years of convincing, my brother is finally getting serious about getting his License to Carry. He is convinced he wants a Small of the Back holster for a S&W Shield 40 he is planning to buy. I showed him the Grizzle IWB holsters I use for carrying at 4 o'clock , but he wasn't convinced.

Does anyone have a reccomendation on a holster? I'd like to buy him a nice one for his birthday/CCW purposes.

Thanks,

Posts: 365 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Has he tried a back holster? Or is it just that he thinks it's really cool looking? I don't think many are made anymore, as they've fallen out of style, they're generally not a very good method of carry.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SOB holsters are sucky if you are seated a lot, especially in a car. And I have seen guys wearing them bend over to pick something up and their cover garment rides up, revealing the gun. And when they straightened up, the cover garment snagged on the gun and left it in the open. And the wearer was clueless.
I lust in my heart for a Grizzle rig, but a high dollar holster for a guy just getting started may not be a wise choice.
Check out Winthrop Leather. Lots of different designs and good service. The lower cost of these holsters may allow the noob to try different ones until he finds a design he likes.
Then get the higher end custom rig.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have one I got in a trade. I kinda like them for a somewhat out of the way while hiking carry.

Your hands & side are very free, maybe not great for sitting.

I like options, no one method is best for all endeavors.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I tried one for a while with a commander-size 1911. It was great when standing up and/or walking around. The rest of the time, not so much. I won't do that again.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Aside from all the above reasons for not choosing a small of the back holster, it's impossible to protect in the event of a gun grab. It's also not quick, especially under stress. And if exposed as mentioned above, it takes away the element of surprise.

If he's new to firearms and CCW, he's probably been overly influenced by Hollywood, not real life. There's probably over a hundred years of experience in the replies so far. I've carried in every manner since 1970 for work. The best manner for me will always be on the hip, owb/iwb. But the best lessons learned are the ones learned "the hard way".

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Also, if you slip and fall on your back it will hurt and possibly do more damage than if it wasn't there.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
As a lefty, I carry iwb at 8 o'clock.
SOB appears uncomfortable when sitting and difficult to access as you age.
Arthritis sets in and range of motion decreases.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For all of the above reasons, I'd avoid a SOB holster of any type. I've been carrying since 1964 and have never owned or wanted to own one.

Milt Sparks does not offer any and explicitly states why:

"You probably have already read all the many reasons for not carrying SOB posted on the various gun forums all over the web. I will not say that we buy into all the arguments posted against SOB carry other than to say that it is just not a method of carry we feel comfortable producing for. Our policy is, if we don't or won't use it ourselves, then we just won't produce it for the general public!"

"I am fully aware that there are some folks who are convinced they cannot conceal a weapon any other way. For those individuals we are more then happy to recommend other makers who share a different point of view then we do on the subject. Contact us if you need a recommendation."

Link:
http://www.miltsparks.com/questions.php

Regarding safety, it's not just SOB holsters. A number of LEO's have been injured when carrying cuffs directly over the spinal column.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Get him a piece of trim wood, 4x6x1" and have him stick it inside his pants at the base of his spine and go about his normal activities for a few hours. That will be very close to the size of the gun & holster he would be carrying.
If that doesn't convince him, nothing will.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he must have a SOB, Alessi Talon is best. If he ever slips and lands on his while wearing it he'll be calling it an sob.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Small of the back, or middle of the back? SOB's carry the gun close to horizontal, MOB's closer to vertical. On both you turn your palm out and slide your fingers between the gun and your back. And I have never found a use, personally, for either. The only time they would be useful is if you never sit down.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Small of the back, or middle of the back? SOB's carry the gun close to horizontal, MOB's closer to vertical. On both you turn your palm out and slide your fingers between the gun and your back. And I have never found a use, personally, for either. The only time they would be useful is if you never sit down.

My Galco SOB has been in the holster drawer for years but as I recall, the palm faces in toward the back on draw. I would not want to draw with the palm out, too many ways to sweep the leg as the pistol comes around.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF: ...

OK, it looks like you're right. I found some pictures of the typical SOB (gun butt turned up) draw.

It still looks awfully contorted and slow. I did find another picture of one with the gun butt turned down (not typical), for which you use the palm-in draw.

MOB draw:

That doesn't look much better.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
With the palm out draw there does not seem to be a way to point the muzzle forward without sweeping the leg. Scares my mule.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
"...there does not seem to be a way to point the muzzle forward without sweeping the leg."

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
"...there does not seem to be a way to point the muzzle forward without sweeping the leg."

Razz Big Grin

NRA
Georgia Carry

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Razz Big Grin

Epic! Just show him this reply.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I live in Minnesota and in the winter, we can sometimes get an invisible layer of ice on sidewalks. I have had my feet shoot out from under me and fallen flat on my back.

Another time, I was hiking in the Smoky Mountains and I stepped on a moss covered rock and a similar thing happened.

I remember thinking both times that if I was carrying SOB, I would have done some serious damage to my spine.

I think 22-9er has the best idea about trying it out with a piece of wood. That should cure him of his SOB fascination in no time flat. Smile

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Years of having handcuff cases press around the base of my spine have left me prone to frequent attacks of sciatica. My advise is to not have any heavy metal objects anywhere near one's spine or sciatic nerve for any length of time. Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post