SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Kenai Chest Holster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kenai Chest Holster Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I've been a Diamond D chest holster user for several years, and am a big fan of carrying on the chest rather than the hip. They are high quality worksmanship, and I just love leather. The one thing that I don't like about them, however, is that the barrel tends to point forward due to the attachment of the one strap too high up on the holster.

Today, I took delivery of a Kenai Chest Holster. It looked, from their website photos, that they corrected the problem that I have with the Diamond D model by placing the strap attachment point at the fore end of the holster. It worked.

Despite the fact that this is kydex and nylon vs. leather, I'm really liking this holster. It fits well, is comfortable, and my G20 just hugs my body.

I'll be putting it to the real field test in a month or so once archery season starts but I can't imagine that I won't still really like it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like you, I tried out the DD chest rig. Very good quality but I did not like the leather in wet weather. I went with the Kenai and have not looked back. The big plus for me is the ability to switch holsters easily. I have holsters for my GP100, G20 and Ruger SBH.
I also have the Gunfighters Inc. horizontal chest rig for my 226.
Best Kydex chest rigs $$$ can buy, IMHO.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. When I bowhunt I typically carry my Glock 19 because I couldn't find an option for my Ruger Blackhawk with 5.5" barrel. im going to have to give these a closer look. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gustofer, thanks for the post.
The kenai holster looks like the solution I've been lookin for.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Very interested. I've been looking at a Diamond D and this one but couldn't decide. I currently use a Hill People Gear chest rig as it has some space for extras but is slow to get the gun.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've also been looking at the Diamond D chest holster, but this looks interesting.

Obviously it looks like it was designed for active outdoor use but I have a question for those who have tried the Kenai. If someone was willing to sacrifice the speed of draw for concealability do you think this rig would work under an overshirt of some sort, something like a sweater or a pull over?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I've also been looking at the Diamond D chest holster, but this looks interesting.

Obviously it looks like it was designed for active outdoor use but I have a question for those who have tried the Kenai. If someone was willing to sacrifice the speed of draw for concealability do you think this rig would work under an overshirt of some sort, something like a sweater or a pull over?

I don't think I could get away with it, but I suppose if you've got a large chest and small abdomen you could wear it low and maybe do alright. I think it would depend on the thickness of the over-garment and the pistol too.

A coat would easily cover it though.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Had one for a woods gun and I would say no. I routinely carry a large gun that way but in a Kangaroo Carry.

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

I don't think I could get away with it, but I suppose if you've got a large chest and small abdomen you could wear it low and maybe do alright. I think it would depend on the thickness of the over-garment and the pistol too.

A coat would easily cover it though.

quote:
Originally posted by IkenI:
Had one for a woods gun and I would say no. I routinely carry a large gun that way but in a Kangaroo Carry.

I was hoping that the Kenai might serve in a deep concealment role in place of a shoulder holster in a couple specific urban situations... but even in its intended role it looks pretty handy. I used to use a bandolier type rig for outdoor active use and, while it worked, I felt that designs like the Diamond D and now the Kenai chest rigs would place the gun in a better position for a draw and better secure the holster.

Thanks for your input.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet it would conceal well with a slim gun like a single stack 9mm adjusted so the butt is below the pec and offset to the left. I have a few shirts with snaps (and dummy bottos) that could be yanked open fast for access.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for concealment, it depends on the gun, at least for me, anyway.
The hiking trails here are often populated with sensitive snowflakes and since I don't want to launch them into emotional crisis, I have covered the Kenai with a loose fitting shirt. The G20 does ok, the GP100 less so. The SBH wont work at all, due to the plow handle. Another plus is most people don't really look at me anyway. In fall and winter, I mainly wear it under a Rivers West mid weight fleece jacket and this works well for me. I just put an oversized zipper pull on the jacket. If you want a potent and concealable bush country rig, the Kenai with a 1911 style 10mm might work. Or a 10mm P220.

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Unless I missed it...They don't offer a rig for the Freedom Arms M-83? Probably a fairly popular carry gun up in AK.

Have a Diamond D rig for my 6" .454 Casull , FA that I carry here in grizzly country. I like it, but agree it isn't perfect.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I just placed an order for one in Coyote Brown for my Ruger Blackhawk .45 colt. I'm hoping it will be good for carry when bowhunting.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have the Chesty Puller rig, 2 of them actually.
One has a holster for my 6" 629 and at the moment the second one has a sp101 holster.
Big gun for hunting and small whiile driving.

The Kenai rig is interesting as it is not leather. I just haven't been able to understand the prices. How much is the harness and how much is each extra holster?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without optional goodies, the Kenai is 150 bucks. I did not see if they offer the harness as a separate item. Extra holsters are 85 bucks.

posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Seems a bit on the pricy side. I'll watch them but for now I'll stick with my current rigs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gjgalligan,

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Mine just came in. It took some time to adjust but it’s going to be handy when I’m bowhunting.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Any other similar kydex options that are more reasonable priced?

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've been a Diamond D chest holster user for several years, and am a big fan of carrying on the chest rather than the hip. They are high quality worksmanship, and I just love leather. The one thing that I don't like about them, however, is that the barrel tends to point forward due to the attachment of the one strap too high up on the holster.

Today, I took delivery of a Kenai Chest Holster. It looked, from their website photos, that they corrected the problem that I have with the Diamond D model by placing the strap attachment point at the fore end of the holster. It worked.

Despite the fact that this is kydex and nylon vs. leather, I'm really liking this holster. It fits well, is comfortable, and my G20 just hugs my body.

I'll be putting it to the real field test in a month or so once archery season starts but I can't imagine that I won't still really like it.

Just wondering how it worked out for you.