SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Concealment on the river
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealment on the river Login/Join 
Picture of BlueThunderCCW
posted
New to the board, been lurking for a while and this looks like a great place that is full of knowledge. My EDC rig is a Glock 19 GEN 5 with a Trijicon RMR 3.25, which I run in a Fury Concealment Series holster. Recently my brother in law invited me out on a weekend of white water rafting in the late spring. Here’s my issue, I need to find a way to carry my rig on the river without compromising it with water while still being able to present it if confronted with a threat. Leaving it in my vehicle is not an option because the safety of my family an I is paramount. Looking for suggestions on ways to carry out on the water. Looking forward to being part of this community.
-thank you BTCCW

Posts: 4 | Location: East Ridge, Tennessee | Registered: December 20, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont really think you have many options. A waterproof bag is about your only option. Are you going to have the means to secure the bag, maybe in a cooler, that will be secured to the raft. Unless you can guarantee you will not fall in the water.

I personally would leave it in the car.

I dont know what level white water rafting your doing. Local river (Ohiopyle State Park) has a beginner, intermediate and advanced section. Beginner was a modified lazy river. Intermediate had my butt clinched pretty tight at certain parks. I know its not what you want to hear but your family has a better chance of getting injured rafting than any other threats.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Assuming you won’t be wearing normal clothing, sealing the pistol in a ziplock (or bread bag with a lighter) and putting it in a fanny pack would be my move. Is the RMR not submersible? Because I would just lube with a heavier grease and carry normally in freshwater.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
BlueThunderCCW, welcome to the forum! Smile

I haven't been in several years, but I used to do a fair bit of white water rafting, mostly in West Virginia and Colorado, little bit in Virginia. However, due to being commercial operations I rolled the dice, left the gun in the truck and brought along a knife.

I also used to be an avid angler and did a LOT of fly fishing while wading in rivers, and, depending on the setting and conditions, I did carry a gun frequently. Also carry regularly in other outdoor wilderness environments such as hiking, backpacking, camping, hunting, snow shoeing, and 4 wheeling Trucks and ATVs.

It seems to me you have two conflicting priorities, and you need to make a decision as to which one is number one.

If your number one priority is protecting your gun in a water environment then there are good commercial Dry Bags designed to protect items you don't want to get wet. Obviously you are going to need to take steps to secure the dry bag by either lashing it to the raft or securing it in another container (daypack, cooler, etc...) that is lashed to the raft. Obviously, the downside to this option is that the gun is not readily available and would take some time to access and employ should the need arise.

If your number one priority is protecting your family then your gun is going to have to be readily available which means having it exposed to water. Have you considered open carry of the gun while rafting? There are various commercial rigs available that would allow you reasonable access to the gun while rafting. I presume you and your party will be wearing PFDs. If so, then a PFD might act as a form of partial, if not complete concealment, especially if you chose one of the several chest rigs available. It wouldn't be too terribly difficult to fashion an open carry rig attached directly to your PFD. If you wanted to opt for slightly more concealment you could wear the rig under both your shirt or top and under the PFD (likely uncomfortable). However, if you decide to go with a Wet Suit/Wet Top then this option is likely off the table, and you would need to wear the rig outside either of those. If you go with a Dry Top, you might still be able to carry under it.

Keep in mind that serious white water rafting requires long deep paddle strokes and paddling your ass off, so any rig you might choose should be evaluated to see if it will allow for good shoulder and arm movements without interference/ rubbing.

Yes, if you prioritize accessibility over concealment, your gun and ammo will likely get wet. I've been ejected into the drink while rafting, and have seen entire raft loads of paddlers flipped over in dangerous conditions, but even if you aren't tossed overboard plan on everything on your person being soaking wet for a day.
Guns and ammo can still work after not only getting wet, but actually being submerged. (I don't have any experience with the Trijicon RMR and won't comment on how exposure to water might affect it.)

Fly fishing in waders while carrying a revolver, I took some "unexpected swims", including going over a waterfall once. Once I made it to safety I changed into dry clothes, unloaded the revolver, and did my best to dry both the gun and ammo on the river. Then, once I got home I baked the revolver and ammo on low heat, followed by a good cleaning and proper lube...the gun kept working and the ammo was used for range work and all rounds fired. I've done this multiple times.

In your case, I would suggest loading one or two spare mags, designating them as your "dry rounds" for this trip, and carrying them in a dry bag or leaving them in the car...essentially having a mag or two with you that will likely get wet, and then having the designated dry mags/ rounds available for when off the river. I'd also suggest that you take along a couple gun rags and just a touch of oil/ lube and, once you get off the river, simply wipe the gun, ammo, mags, and holster down, get as much of the heavy water off, and once home just do a good cleaning, inspection, and lube.

Concealability...or accessibility...pick your poison and act accordingly.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Change the EDC to a stainless revolver during rafting (something like a Ruger SP101). If it gets wet, perform normal disassembly, dry it out, reassemble and stick it in the safe until you go rafting again. Just make certain any internal non-stainless parts are clean and dry. Should be simpler than drying out a Glock.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Buy a $299 cop trade G23 and carry it in a chest holster.

My experience has been that Glocks are pretty easy to dry out, and not much affected by having been gotten wet.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I'll go out on a limb and say the chances you'll need your pistol while actually paddling, and in the boat are less than slim, to none.

On shore, ok, I'll buy that. Bears, wildlife, Deliverance, whatever Big Grin - I can see wanting to bring a pistol along. I'd be the same way most likely.

I'd say secure it in a padded case, then inside a waterproof bag.

To try to carry on your person while white water rafting seems like a fool's errand, IMHO.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would put your pistol in one of the waterproof boxes or a dry bag. No need for it on the river. Depending on what river you are running, the potential hazard from wearing a pistol is much greater than a possible need for it.

I have run about 1,000 miles of Class 3-5 rivers. Never get complacent on a whitewater river, and keep your body free of excess gear. When the boat goes over, you do not want to get tangled up on any lines or other gear. I do know someone who died on the Colorado/Grand Canyon when his boat flipped. He got tangled up in the gear and drowned.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do glocks care if they get wet?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tarheelbball
posted Hide Post

Posts: 514 | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I operate a part time canoe livery and regularly carry on the river. I use a Pelican waterproof case equipped with custom foam insert.
For you, I recommend:
This:
https://www.amazon.com/Pelican...ativeASIN=B0038VETHS

Plus this:

https://www.amazon.com/Handgun...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Just lash it in the raft securely within easy reach.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
sealing the pistol in a ziplock (or bread bag with a lighter) and putting it in a fanny pack would be my move

This is what I do, with a stainless revolver.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Nope, but the RMR might. I'd get another Glock with no optic (or remove the optic for the trip), just irons, put it in some kind of quality level 2 or 3 retention holster (preferably plastic/kydex) so I know I'm not going to lose it if I get dumped, and just carry as normal. There are times where old-school has advantages over the newfangled electronic stuff....this is one of them.

I took my P320 into a retention pond at work a few months back...think nasty rotting dead stuff, muck, and water (it was right next to a trailer park so I don't even like to think about what was probably in there). Completely submerged it. My TLR-1 held up fine, and I simply disassembled and cleaned the gun (The removable FCU of the P320 is about perfect for that scenario...even the striker is easy to remove and clean). I changed out the ammo (Federal HST), but took the swamped stuff to the range later and it all shot fine.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AJF
posted Hide Post
Use a smaller pistol, like a P366, put it in a belly band and wear a wet suit.

Posts: 66 | Registered: May 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Glocks can get wet but RMR's don't do so well when soaked.

Posts: 15 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
For fly fishing, I had a a fishing vest that could hold a holster in a pouch... If interested, I can find the name

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
For fly fishing, I had a a fishing vest that could hold a holster in a pouch... If interested, I can find the name

Yes please, I'd like to know!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Maybe something like this from gunfighters with a plastic sack around it. I carry this in remote Alaska, even got it pretty wet. Just cleaned it really well as soon as it was possible.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hill People chest rig. Place your pistol of choice in a Ziploc and place in your chest pack. Quick access to pistol and very comfortable carry. I own two of their chest packs. Love them, great quality product.

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post