SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CCW? Going in for shoulder surgery Friday morn.

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
CCW? Going in for shoulder surgery Friday morn. Login/Join 
posted
Got to have orthascopic shoulder surgery fri morn, gonna be in a sling and out of commission for a while. Trying to figure out carrying my Sig. Right handed, right side. Tough. I use a Sig kydex.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights in that order.
Tennessee-JEHOVAH IS MY GOD!

Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I actually used a shoulder holster until I felt comfortable drawing from the waist.

Escape is not always the safest path.

Posts: 1078 | Location: central nj | Registered: October 29, 2004Report This Post
Rosie, the Corgi,
is my copilot
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you should stay out of harm's way until you heal.

Thanks,
~Farther~

Posts: 3636 | Location: CA/OR Frontier | Registered: November 24, 2000Report This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Could you use a mouse gun in a Velcro'ed holster inside your sling?

I would support President Trump selecting Barack as the next ambassador to Afghanistan...and Hillary to Syria.

Posts: 7614 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Pocket gun in a holster in your left front pocket.

Start practicing now with drawing and firing using only your left hand.

Posts: 18164 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I carried a J frame in my left front pocket for months after surgery on my right arm.

十人十色

Posts: 866 | Location: Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Pocket gun in a holster in your left front pocket.

Start practicing now with drawing and firing using only your left hand.

Yeah, another vote for this.

I actually practice with my offhand from a pocket draw, because sometimes my BUG resides there. It's kind of comforting to be able to reach in and put my hand on the grip in a sketchy neighborhood.

With a green laser on the P938 I can hit just about anything in 21 feet or less off handed even from my hip.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no injection, or pill, that will cause you to be proficient with your left hand. Train lefty, starting yesterday.

A natural left-hander, and somewhat ambidextrous, I trained to be reasonably ambidextrous with handguns, from the beginning, and chose to carry "primary" on the right hip. Pulling a trigger is caveman simple. My reloads are FAST! Wink

If you need a lefty non-railed P229 holster, quickly, I will look through my old holsters; I may still have one or two.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3010 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a right handed holster and practice

that's what I did when I had my shoulder surgery

I even started shooting matches right handed and the IDPA guys made some exceptions and let me do 1 handed reloads, I even started loading mags with 1 hand so I wouldn't have to ask for help.

RC

Posts: 1656 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Report This Post
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Been there exactly. I was lucky to have regularly practiced off-handed drawing and shooting for most of my adult life. I just bought a wrong-handed Don Hume JIT for my M&P Compact. I almost always carry a J-frame in the left front pocket anyway, so no change was necessary there.

Hang in there. Shoulder surgery sucks and takes a long time to heal. How about I Karma you a Don Hume JIT for the pistol of your choice?

Posts: 3405 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in my sixth week after shoulder surgery. Gonna be a while before I can shoot. Hang in there. Plus waiting on my Tennessee renewal carry permit to come in. I need to practice some more weak hand anyway.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights in that order.
Tennessee-JEHOVAH IS MY GOD!