SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CCW? Going in for shoulder surgery Friday morn.

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW? Going in for shoulder surgery Friday morn. Login/Join 
posted
Got to have orthascopic shoulder surgery fri morn, gonna be in a sling and out of commission for a while. Trying to figure out carrying my Sig. Right handed, right side. Tough. I use a Sig kydex.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights in that order.
Tennessee-JEHOVAH IS MY GOD!

Posts: 570 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I actually used a shoulder holster until I felt comfortable drawing from the waist.

Escape is not always the safest path.

Posts: 1047 | Location: central nj | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rosie, the Corgi,
is my copilot
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you should stay out of harm's way until you heal.

Thanks,
~Farther~

Posts: 3636 | Location: CA/OR Frontier | Registered: November 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Could you use a mouse gun in a Velcro'ed holster inside your sling?

I would support President Trump selecting Barack as the next ambassador to Afghanistan...and Hillary to Syria.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Pocket gun in a holster in your left front pocket.

Start practicing now with drawing and firing using only your left hand.

Posts: 17858 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I carried a J frame in my left front pocket for months after surgery on my right arm.

十人十色

Posts: 824 | Location: Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Pocket gun in a holster in your left front pocket.

Start practicing now with drawing and firing using only your left hand.

Yeah, another vote for this.

I actually practice with my offhand from a pocket draw, because sometimes my BUG resides there. It's kind of comforting to be able to reach in and put my hand on the grip in a sketchy neighborhood.

With a green laser on the P938 I can hit just about anything in 21 feet or less off handed even from my hip.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no injection, or pill, that will cause you to be proficient with your left hand. Train lefty, starting yesterday.

A natural left-hander, and somewhat ambidextrous, I trained to be reasonably ambidextrous with handguns, from the beginning, and chose to carry "primary" on the right hip. Pulling a trigger is caveman simple. My reloads are FAST! Wink

If you need a lefty non-railed P229 holster, quickly, I will look through my old holsters; I may still have one or two.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3001 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a right handed holster and practice

that's what I did when I had my shoulder surgery

I even started shooting matches right handed and the IDPA guys made some exceptions and let me do 1 handed reloads, I even started loading mags with 1 hand so I wouldn't have to ask for help.

RC

Posts: 1648 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Been there exactly. I was lucky to have regularly practiced off-handed drawing and shooting for most of my adult life. I just bought a wrong-handed Don Hume JIT for my M&P Compact. I almost always carry a J-frame in the left front pocket anyway, so no change was necessary there.

Hang in there. Shoulder surgery sucks and takes a long time to heal. How about I Karma you a Don Hume JIT for the pistol of your choice?

Posts: 3362 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in my sixth week after shoulder surgery. Gonna be a while before I can shoot. Hang in there. Plus waiting on my Tennessee renewal carry permit to come in. I need to practice some more weak hand anyway.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights in that order.
Tennessee-JEHOVAH IS MY GOD!

Posts: 570 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post