SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Kimber Pepper Blaster II
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Pepper Blaster II Login/Join 
posted
Anyone carry this? The one with a grip:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ay-gel-10-pct-oc-red

I just read a glowing review in Guns & Ammo "Handguns" June/July issue (no, the current review is not on their www site) and I'm thinking about carrying this in addition to a handgun. I would also carry this in rare locations where guns are a no-go.

Does anyone carry this?

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I just carry a regular can of pepper spray.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I used to carry one in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for those times I could not carry a regular gun and they seem to be well made.

IIRC they were supposed to be able to reach out like 25 feet?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

...IIRC they were supposed to be able to reach out like 25 feet?

I do not recall the range, I shared the magazine with a pal and the review is not yet on line.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some YouTube videos of people testing the affects and the results seem reasonable. My only two complaints had more to do with the ammo limitations (two shots) and the requirement of a face shot for best effect.

Trying to hit a basketball sized moving target at up to 25 yards while under stress and potentially facing violence seemed... less then ideal.

Don’t get me wrong, I see a number of advantages to the blaster including the fact that I can use the same muscle memory as related to firearms and it seemed easily concealable. I would be an acceptable choice to carry concealed when you can’t carry your pistol. I would simply prefer more ammo and the ability to aim center mass and still be effective. Perhaps some pepper balls and a CO2 gun...

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I like the ASP Keydefender. It provides enough OC to do a good job at close range and can be used as an impact weapon. I keep one on my key-ring all the time and every year all thats necessary is to replace the old cartridge with a fresh one. Using the old cartridge or an inert cartridge will allow you to determine the range limitations.

https://www.asp-usa.com/products/key-medium-defender

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
My only two complaints had more to do with the ammo limitations (two shots) and the requirement of a face shot for best effect.

Trying to hit a basketball sized moving target at up to 25 yards while under stress and potentially facing violence seemed... less then ideal.

I would simply prefer more ammo and the ability to aim center mass and still be effective.

If those are your criteria/objections, you might not understand the intended/effective deployment of the product

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mmepiphany,
You are probably not wrong with that assumption. In my mind the intended use of the blaster would have been to have a defensive option in my (GFZ) place of work. Since, under current state law, neither my wife nor I are able to carry at our place of employment I had considered the blaster as a stop gap in case something happened there.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe his point was that no pepper product is going to be effective anywhere near 25yds...and if a typo, not 25' either.

Kimber lists the max effective range as 13'.

There is no free lunch with the physics of a pepper spray. A pepper-ball has the range of a paintball gun...and the size and bulk! A stream has more range, 13-15' or so, but has to hit the face. A cone or fog will affect the eyes and breathing even on a chest hit....but is really short range and affected by the wind.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I believe his point was that no pepper product is going to be effective anywhere near 25yds...and if a typo, not 25' either.

Kimber lists the max effective range as 13'.

There is no free lunch with the physics of a pepper spray. A pepper-ball has the range of a paintball gun...and the size and bulk! A stream has more range, 13-15' or so, but has to hit the face. A cone or fog will affect the eyes and breathing even on a chest hit....but is really short range and affected by the wind.

Yes, the above was what I was referencing.

A spray isn't a stand-off defensive tool.
1. It is designed to be used within a couple of large steps away
2. You are very unlikely to have time for a second shot
3. A spray, to be effective, must impact in the eye/nose area

A Fog or cone will usually give you about twice arms reach

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apologies, I thought I had read previously 25 yards.

Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Wendy and I carry them as a nonlethal weapon as there are times when extreme force is not needed. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is something that looks interesting. Not very compact and not very cheap. But semi-auto, five shots with a range to 30'.

http://www.pepperball.com/product/flashlauncher/

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post