SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    First Holster Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Holster Recommendations Login/Join 
Family Man
posted
I have never carried before. What do you guys recommend for one's first IWB holster? There are thousands of choices, and I've not a clue where to start.

Thank you very much.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What are you carrying?

Unfortunately, holsters (especially IWB holsters) depend a great deal on personal preference. You may need to try a few different styles until you find out what specifically works for you.

Personally, I prefer IWB holsters with offset belt attachments. IWB holsters with the belt attachment stacked on top of the gun body, like a clip in the middle of the holster, end up being too bulky, and I feel like I have a brick stuck in my waistband. Wider holsters with offset loops distribute the weight and bulk over a larger area.

I also prefer snap belt loops over belt clips. I've had clips detach from the belt before, but loops are more secure.

I prefer leather, which is more comfortable IWB, but there are also IWB holsters available in kydex, or a combination of leather and kydex.

My preference/recommendation is a leather IWB with dual offset belt loops.

The Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 is an extremely high quality, comfortable IWB holster of this style. One of the best on the market. There's a long wait directly from Milt Sparks, but Top Gun Supply has a small selection in stock: https://www.topgunsupply.com/h...ers/milt-sparks.html That would be my recommendation if you're carrying a more common pistol, and need a high quality IWB relatively quickly.

But if you can wait a few weeks, or if Top Gun Supply doesn't have a VM2 for the gun you're wanting to carry, TT Gun Leather makes several similar styles of very high quality custom IWB holsters for a bit less money than Milt Sparks, like their Reinforced IWB: http://www.mcssl.com/store/a98...44c383e5d8c3e9332f89

Or their Slim IWB: http://www.mcssl.com/store/a98...4f838b6db204d75fc821

TT Gun Leather's holsters are available for a wide variety of handguns: http://ttgunleather.com/gun-list.html

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What gun are you carrying?

What kind of clothing do you typically wear?

Also, if you don't have one already, invest in a holster box. We all have them. Big Grin

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
I will be carrying a HK P30. I dress in jeans/shorts and polo/sport shirts most of the time.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Before the holster, get a good gun belt:

https://www.armourbelts.com/

Armour belts are very popular here. He's a forum member, has quick service and belts are priced friendly enough to have multiples. I recommend a 1.5" as it gives you enough rigidity for most guns yet still fits most belt loops. Might not fit dress pant belt loops, though. That's why I have a 1.5" for every day wear and 1.25" for dress pant wear.

Holster wise, I like the holsters which will distribute the weight. For me, that will prevent sagging. I prefer leather but we aware a lot of makers have long wait times due to high demand. I have a few of these:

https://shop.nightingaleleathe...d-Holster-Raptor.htm

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett257:
I will be carrying a HK P30. I dress in jeans/shorts and polo/sport shirts most of the time.

In that case, I think a VM2-style holster will probably be a good bet. The original by Milt Sparks would work. While I don't have one (yet!), I rather like TT Gunleather's versions.

If money is tight but you're ok with waiting, you could check out Side Guard Holsters. I believe all of their holsters are under $100 and the quality is very good, IMO. I've been using their Quick Clip IWB holster for my 642 for probably 6 years now and it's still in great shape. The wait can be long, though. I think it's around 12 weeks now. They do make VM2-style holsters. The one thing I don't like about them is that they don't use one-way snaps, which I prefer. That may or may not be an issue for you.

I'm not a fan of the leather/kydex hybrid holsters, the ones with a kydex half-shell attached to a leather backing. Personally, I would stick with either all leather or all kydex.

I don't have any experience with kydex IWB holsters, but one maker I've seen with consistently good reviews is JM Kydex. If I were going to go with a kydex holster, they would probably be my first choice to try.

I also second the need for a good quality gun belt. My preference is for The Beltman, but there are plenty of other good quality makers.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I know anyone who was happy with their very 1st holster.
It just feels like carrying a brick on your hip. :-)

Maybe, like me, they they thought it wouldn't really matter that much and they would be just fine to buy a rather cheap holster.

Anyway, after a large box full of holsters later, I think I now have a few pretty good ones! ;-)

IMO, Milt Sparks VM2 and his Summer Special holsters are hard to beat.
I like Brommeland holsters too.
(I prefer leather holsters)

However, I recently received my new OWB holster made by R Grizzle. I can't tell you how EXTREMELY pleased I am with it!

I guarantee you that my Next IWB holster will be ordered from Mr. grizzle!

I'd do that even if he wasn't a forum member.
The fact that he is makes me feel even better. :-)

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Garret Industries Silent Thunder. They are kydex with a leather lining. Mine have thousands of draws with no sign of the leather separating from the kydex.

http://www.giholsters.com/Default.asp

They have a variety of IWB and OWB holsters. For concealed carry, I like the GT IWB.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I’ve carried a lot of guns in different styles of holsters in the last twenty seven years and for the past six months I’ve been carrying a 9mm Shield daily in a kydex holster made by Ozarks Holster Company. I’m very happy with this holster as far as comfort and fit and finish are concerned. I’ve got other kydex holsters from other makers but I like this one the best, it’s easy to get on and off and has never come out of the pants on a draw. Dustin Osborne (spelling?) is a forum member here and owns the company.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeking a better POTUS, and doing it elsewhere
posted Hide Post
Vedder Light Tuck without a doubt. Wish someone recommended it to me several holsters ago.

Posts: 34 | Registered: March 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I second the Brommeland recommendation. The Mac Con V is as comfortable as it gets in my opinion.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Summer Special. Also check out the El Paso C-Force. It puts the belt attachment behind the gun and cuts down greatly on the bulk.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dustin Osborn at www.ozarksholstercompany.com is my go-to place for IWB Kydex. I go with his basic Kydex IWB holster with a single clip. They are comfortable and easy to put on / take off when driving or stopping at a no-gun location.

The best belt I've found is the Duluth Trading beefy belt. The only drawback is that it's only available in a light tan color.

Mostly 9mm and .45 ACP:
P226 Enhanced Elite
P938 SAS
P320 Compact w/subcompact grip
P225-A1 two-tone
Bunch of Dan Wessons
Assorted Berettas, CZs, etc.

Posts: 199 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
Garret Industries Silent Thunder. They are kydex with a leather lining. Mine have thousands of draws with no sign of the leather separating from the kydex.

http://www.giholsters.com/Default.asp

They have a variety of IWB and OWB holsters. For concealed carry, I like the GT IWB.

This or the Silent Thunder GT. My P228 is pulled close and disappears under my shirt.

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deen
posted Hide Post
I am happy with Crossbreed holsters. Thin, light and well made; add to that a two-week trial period and a lifetime warranty. They also make very nice belts, which you will need.

And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Stealth Gear Onyx. I've been carrying for over two years. The Onyx is the only holster I've owned. Not looking to change. I got it right the first time.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've tried a lot of different IWB holsters, for different guns and wardrobes, and I keep coming back to the VM2. Kydex is lighter and generally as concealable, but uncomfortable for me. Tends to pinch my love handles. Hybrid holsters (soft leather on the body side with a kydex shell, e.g. Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion) are a good compromise and tend to be more comfortable, but they'll collapse immediately on drawing the gun, so it takes two hands to re-holster it.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry an H&K P30 in a Mitch Rosen 5JR owb. I also have a Milt Sparks VM2 iwb. It’s a big gun to carry to begin with. But I find it easier on my hip using owb instead of iwb. I am 6”2 210. I’m a jeans and T-shirt polo shirt guy so I can hide just about any reasonably sized handgun. And. I agree with some of our fellow members. You will end up with a drawer full of holsters. It’s like a bag of chips. You just can’t eat one. And don’t forget to get a good quality leather belt. Good luck.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I've tried a lot of different IWB holsters, for different guns and wardrobes, and I keep coming back to the VM2. Kydex is lighter and generally as concealable, but uncomfortable for me. Tends to pinch my love handles. Hybrid holsters (soft leather on the body side with a kydex shell, e.g. Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion) are a good compromise and tend to be more comfortable, but they'll collapse immediately on drawing the gun, so it takes two hands to re-holster it.

My Silent Thunder and Silent Thunder GT have the leather lined interior with kydex shell but have no issues collapsing. Can't speak to the Fusion model.

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kgray01:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

My Silent Thunder and Silent Thunder GT have the leather lined interior with kydex shell but have no issues collapsing. Can't speak to the Fusion model.

I don't know about the base Silent Thunder, but I also have a GT and no it doesn't collapse because it's all kydex (i.e., it doesn't have the leather backing, the rigid kydex structure goes all the way around). The lining is nice because it makes it quieter and (IMO) less hard on the gun's finish. The other hybrid that I tried was the Comp-Tac MTAC, and it had the same problem, collapsed due to belt pressure as soon as the gun came out of the holster.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post