SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    spare mag holsters..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

spare mag holsters.. Login/Join 
SF Jake
posted
I’m looking to get a spare mag holster that can be IWB or OWB and has a belt clip so I don’t have to undue my belt to get it on/off. I do have a double mag holder but used that when I was shooting IDPA and would like a single for EDC. I wear it on my weak side and am not interested in the pistol holsters that also hold a spare mag...kinda counter intuitive if you ask me.I don’t have a preference on materials but would like retention so it doesn’t pop out if I become active. Single stack P220 is what I need it for. So Sigforum members...what are your recommendations?

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I know it's not what you're asking for, but I try to be the "grey man". I use a Gerber multi-tool pouch with the top velcro flap. I've been using some variation of these for 13 years and have never had anyone question it.

For my single stacks, I have a nylon knife case in similar fashion that is a bit thinner and holds a P239 mag perfectly.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I like my Remora grippy-type single mag holder. It can be worn IWB or in-between belt and waistband. If you get the one w/ the clip, it gives you all the options of clip or clipless, IWB, OWB, between belt & WB. They're also good for carrying flashlights, Leatherman-style multitools, large folding pocket knives, whatever else you can think to fit in one.

https://www.remoraholsterstore...ssories/mag-holders/

ETA: I also agree w/ chongo. Depending on how long your mag is, the Remora doesn't scream gun accessory if someone catches a glimpse of it. Few people outside of other shooters will recognize a magazine base plate.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't get my janky ass Hughesnet out here at the farm to work well so no link, but look up Blue Force Gear Ten Speed single mag pouch. Has velcro type loop so you can put on or off without removing belt if you wear it vertical. Elastic so holds single or double stack mags. It holds them very securely.
Not a good IWB solution but it has been the best easy on easy off spare mag holder I've tried.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I have a black DeSantis single mag holster with a clip. It is like this only black. It was my son's but was barely used if at all. If you think it will work for you, I will send it.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat these guys for $19

http://www.kytexgear.com/produ...ig-p220-mag-carrier/

I have 3 of their mag carriers.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I preordered two of the universal mag carriers from pitbull tactical. It's supposed to do IWB and OWB. It's no longer on sale for $10 each.
I'll report back whenever I get them in.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Comp-Tac is my go to for mag carriers. Made from kydex.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Just started using a couple mag carriers from Multiholsters:

http://www.multiholsters.com/s...ip-magazine-holster/

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mine (and my wife's) too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
sorry for the delayed response...thank you all for your input and especially to AZsig for the offer...you are a shining example of what makes this a great place! I’m going to order one of the comp-tac as I think I’ll like the kydex option. again...thanks to all!

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I like the IWB model by Comptac.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
+1

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I used to use multitool holsters for a few months until I settled on the Safariland 123.

I have three (I think). Maybe four. They are pretty inexpensive. These have worked very well for me for the last 8 years with Sig P220, P239, Walther PPS and PPQ mags. PPS mags in particular have a kind of wonky baseplate that this pouch smooths out and contains very well. It has made it a very easy thing for me to always carry one extra mag for any of the four of those weapons.
I usually leave a mag in for months before ever messing with the velcro, just sliding a belt through it when changing pants. So the velcro has stood up extremely well.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
My favorite double magazine pouch is the Milt Sparks IPD, an IWB offering that should work quite well with P220 mags. I use the one shown for 1911 mags. Positioned at about 8:30ish on the belt, the IPD rides high and keeps two mags snug and even comfortable.

Granted - I was not a fan of the spine-to-spine orientation of the mags. The pouch requires the wearer to carry the mags this way. I would prefer bullets-forward for both mags (and there are IWB pouches that provide exactly that); with practice, though, this has proven to work and work well for me.

EDITED TO ADD: all well and good, until I reread the OP and saw that a single mag is what’s desired for EDC. I know Sparks makes a single mag variant of what I’ve posted, their “IPS” IWB mag pouch. I use their S4C OWB singles as well as a Galco Concealable single OWB pouch. My favorite single-mag OWB solution is the Magholder, LLC horizontal magazine carrier.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Comptac.

about 30 bucks but quality kydex with a firm hold.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I know it's not what you're asking for, but I try to be the "grey man". I use a Gerber multi-tool pouch with the top velcro flap. I've been using some variation of these for 13 years and have never had anyone question it.

For my single stacks, I have a nylon knife case in similar fashion that is a bit thinner and holds a P239 mag perfectly.

This is exactly what I have done. A pair of 239 mags ride in my Leatherman case.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've also had pretty good luck with nylon knife pouches. The ones I have (a P239 size one and a 1911 size one that will alternatively hold a double stack 9mm mag) wear horizontally on the belt. That means you have to wear it pretty far back or the rear end of it will poke out and make a noticeable bulge in your shirt. It can also be less than comfortable, especially with a double stack mag, if you spend a lot of time seated or driving. In the future I'll likely switch to a vertically riding IWB carrier.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I've been using the universal mag carrier from Pitbull Tactical. So far, so good.

https://www.pitbulltactical.co...iversal-mag-carrier/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I carry horizontal but PJ Holster makes excellent carriers in vertical too:
https://pjholster.com/t/pistol-magazine-carriers

These work as a good horizontal option as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Raine-0...876&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post