SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Modifying a kydex holster to accommodate an optic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying a kydex holster to accommodate an optic Login/Join 
posted
I use a vedder light tuck holster for my daily carry. I was looking to add a red dot to my p365 and would need a new holster. After looking it over I dont see why I could not just cut a notch in my holster to accommodate the dot.

Has anyone modified a kydex holster before? If so how did you do it and are you happy with the results?

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've done it to several kydex holsters. As you anticipated, it's literally as easy as making a notch for the optic, provided there's not some interference from the holster hardware in the spot you're wanting to remove.

Mark out an approximation of the area that you want to remove. Use a Dremel with a 3/16 or 3/8 aluminum oxide grinding bit. Keep the Dremel speed on medium/low (so that you're actually cutting/grinding instead of melting). Go slow with minimal pressure, doing a little at a time, to keep the kydex from heating up and melting, and to avoid taking off too much. Test fit and adjust as needed as you go. Once you're happy with the shape, touch up the rough/sharp edges of the modified area with some fine grit sandpaper.

And make sure you do it in the garage or somewhere that you don't mind making a mess, and wear safety glasses and a face mask. You'll end up with Kydex dust and shavings all over you and your workspace. Be sure to blow out/suck out all the debris from inside the holster before inserting a gun for test-fitting, to prevent scratches.

Here are a couple G19 holsters I recently modified for my G45 with SRO optic:

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Looks great. Seems fairly straight forward. Thanks

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
Not for an optic, but the holster I ordered for my S&W 4006 was molded for fixed rear sight and mine has the shrouded adjustable. A cut with a hacksaw and finish with a fine tooth file did the trick.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 954 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
This is one of those DIY jobs where a Dremel works well. Lay the modification out with tape or pencil and work slowly just short of where you want to be. I use a fine grit sanding drum. Finish with sandpaper grits and/or 3M Scotch pad. I use a light application of acetone or lacquer thinner to polish the edges.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have used a sanding drum as well with a Dremel. It goes quickly, but is fairly easy to control.
(Lest anyone think I have turned turtle on the issue of optics on handguns, I modified the holster for a different reason. Wink )

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I modified my Vedder Light Tuck to accommodate the optic on my Glock 43x. As said above, go slow and it should turn out fine.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rotty37
posted Hide Post
I modified an older Bravo Concealment OWB holster for my M&P 9 full size with X300U-B WML. It had mid sweat guard on it and used a Dremel cutting wheel for plastics to cut it off. I used a white thin point marker to just outlined the area to cut just enough to clear the Holosun 508T GR.
I smooth the cut area but polishing the edges the best I can and it came out great with still having its retention.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4448 | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I emailed Vedder and they said if I send the holster back they would make the mods for me.