SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Carrying While In Church - Skinner Sights Concealed Carry Bible Cover?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying While In Church - Skinner Sights Concealed Carry Bible Cover? Login/Join 
Picture of Browndrake
posted
Last Sunday I was told that I had the okay to conceal carry in our church. Here in MI you have to have permision from the church leaders to do so. I want to carry my P229, but I think I am going to have a tough time effectively concealing it under my normal church clothes.

I’m not a big fan of off body carry but in this instance it might be my best option. Skinner Sights makes a Bible cover with a place to hide a gun and an extra magazine in it.

It is about halfway down the page here: http://www.skinnersights.com/

Does anyone have experience with one of these or can you recommend something similar?

I am open to ideas and opinions.

Thanks

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
It might be very easy for a third party to mistakenly pick up your "Bible".

Maybe you should reconsider on body options.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
It might be very easy for a third party to mistakenly pick up your "Bible".

Maybe you should reconsider on body options.

This something that I have considered. I would essentially have to have it in my possession at all times and that might be unrealistic as well as a bit of a pain.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again I will put in a plug for my favorite holster www.smartcarry.com You may have to buy extra sets of slacks (wear them only on Sundays) and Smart Carry does not work great with a heavier weapon, but it works for me. Here is something I repost every few years:

It works for me. CCW holsters are a balance between concealment, comfort, and accessibility, and my first priority is concealment. Sometimes I carry my LCP or PM9 in a pocket, but most of the time it’s in Smart Carry. I also have a super-size model and on rare occasions I carry my G-19 and two spare mags.

I no longer carry my 642 or PPS, but like the LCP, PM9, and now G-43 they fit fine in my medium (holster, not hip size) Smart Carry. You buy the size holster for the largest gun you plan to carry.

Comfort is not an issue on long trips; Last fall I drove east (2500 miles r/t) with my LCP and almost forgot it was there.

Pros:

No cover garment, shirt can be tucked in or out

Wear under shorts, long pants, or sweats. Even business casual.

One size holster fits almost all

No one looks there

Superior concealment

Slot for spare mag/speed strip

Can draw with support hand

Cons:

May not support a heavy gun

Potentially slower draw

Reluctance to keep a gun there

Need to buy pants one size larger

Other members may have additional pros and cons. It's not the perfect holster, it’s not for everyone, but Smart Carry works for me.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Since you're likely to be wearing a jacket in church, I suggest a shoulder rig. I love my Alessi Bodyguard (horizontal).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8853 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Even if you have to down gun a little bit, I would want to keep it on my body.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with the others on off body carry. I use and recommend a Kangaroo Carry holster. Conceals well under a polo shirt and you can get them in various sizes for large or small guns. Carries a spare mag or speed strip, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry every Sunday but I also wear a coat and tie and my Wranglers every Sunday so carrying is not a problem for me. I will either carry my 228 or my 229 in 357 Sig in a VM2. When it's really cold I might carry a 1911 in a shoulder holster under my leather jacket.

With a little thought it's not hard to dress around a midsize pistol and not look out of place.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried a Galco rig designed for brief case carry in a Bible case. It's meant at times I had to leave the weapon unsecured (getting asked to help as an usher, communion, etc.). Next step; I tried one of the little gunsafes in the Bible cover (unattended at times, but more secure) but that can be bulky/weighty. Ankle holster works fine most of the time with the G42 or P290, but at times my pants leg slides up. I'm now trying an Air Marshal 3 rig with my G19 under a loose fitting striped shirt, etc. Much happier. Beware of huggers though, got hugged a few times and am pretty sure they were wondering what was on my left side....(edit) I think someone else on the forum pointed me towards one of these.

edited to add link:

https://www.kangaroocarry.com/...arry-handgun-holster

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I also recommend the SmartCarry.

Off-body carry in a church sounds like a very bad idea.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:

...Beware of huggers though, got hugged a few times and am pretty sure they were wondering what was on my left side...

Another advantage of Smart Carry: Huggers are rarely aware your, uh...firearm is there.

(Insert joke here)

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This one works well for me.
https://www.kangaroocarry.com/...shoulder-gun-holster

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all of the input on this. I am ruling out off body carry. I have an Andrews Leather Monarch shoulder holster, but I would have to go find a sport jacket that would work with it. I am very tempted to get a SmartCarry. Maybe I’ll put some of my Christmas bonus toward one of those and give it a try.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:

...Beware of huggers though, got hugged a few times and am pretty sure they were wondering what was on my left side...

Another advantage of Smart Carry: Huggers are rarely aware your, uh...firearm is there.

(Insert joke here)

Blush, blush... Wink

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I wear a tuckable IWB holster EVERYWHERE I go, including church. Nobody's ever noticed the gun, and it's never been a problem. If you're considering wearing a sport coat anyway to accommodate a shoulder holster, that's all the cover garment you'll ever need with a good IWB holster.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I was discussing this with a buddy at work this morning and as luck would have it he has a SmartCarry that he is willing to let me borrow and try out. He is not thrilled with it but everybody is built differently and who knows, it may be just the ticket for me. Hopefully I'll know by early next week.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
AIWB, and something hammer fired. I use a revolver.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
I was discussing this with a buddy at work this morning and as luck would have it he has a SmartCarry that he is willing to let me borrow and try out. He is not thrilled with it but everybody is built differently and who knows, it may be just the ticket for me. Hopefully I'll know by early next week.

When buying SmartCarry, you order waist size and holster size. Most people order a holster for the largest size pistol they expect to carry. Hopefully your pal didn't order for an LCP.

Smart Carry may not work as well with a heavier gun like the 229 (I have one). Think of it as a strapless bra.

(Insert joke here)

However, it should be adequate for an hour or so once a week.

Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:

When buying SmartCarry, you order waist size and holster size. Most people order a holster for the largest size pistol they expect to carry. Hopefully your pal didn't order for an LCP.

Smart Carry may not work as well with a heavier gun like the 229 (I have one). Think of it as a strapless bra.

(Insert joke here)

However, it should be adequate for an hour or so once a week.

I believe he ordered his for a S&W M&P, so I think from a size standpoint it should be about right. Waist size should be fairly close as well.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Another option is ankle carry.

While not a primary for me, I often carry a 340 in a Galco Ankle glove as a BUG.

As long as you don't cross that leg over your knee, you'll be fine in dress pants.

Obvious a J-frame or any other uber concealable pistol isn't a great choice, but it's far better than harsh language.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post