SIGforum
Carrying While In Church - Skinner Sights Concealed Carry Bible Cover?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/3460006434

December 15, 2017, 03:31 PM
snoris
Carrying While In Church - Skinner Sights Concealed Carry Bible Cover?
Remora tuckable IWB holster. Grippy material on the outside, no clip needed, VERY comfortable.
December 16, 2017, 08:19 PM
DrewR
While I am really not a fan of off-body carry my wife and I had to compromise on this issue in order to ensure that she carried regularly. Apparently, women's fashion isn't entirely accommodating to concealed carry (who the heck buys pants without belt loops?). To resolve this issue we purchased several bags and she accepts that when carrying a pistol in one of these bags they can't ever be put down.

One of the bags we purchased for her is the Maxpedition Mini Valance tech bag. It is small enough and unobtrusive enough that no one gives it a second look and stays out of her way.

https://www.maxpedition.com/co...?variant=38601450641

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.
December 16, 2017, 08:22 PM
Sigmund
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:

...(who the heck buys pants without belt loops?)...

Oh...Mrs Sigmund. Mrs. DrewR. Others I'm sure.

I have no idea how women's pants are styled, but Smart Carry or ankle carry are two options.
December 17, 2017, 04:08 AM
CD228
Thanks for sharing that link, I saw John Wick's garment bag and some nice lever gun stuff.

I'm another advocate for on body carry. If you are wearing a jacket, you can conceal almost anything with the right holster. I would advise against the bible cover because you generally don't take your bible up for communion, so you will be separated and unable to control your weapon during that time. In the churches I've gone to, kids tend to get left in the pews during communion and it could be bad if one got curious about your Bible cover. Another potential issue is if something kicks off and you grab your family and start moving them and you leave your cover(and gun) behind.

FWIW I used to CC a SIG 229R in a OWB under a Golf Shirt when I was stationed at FT Gordon, GA. Either no one saw it, or folks were too polite to say anything. You might be able to do the same with the right cover garments.

That said, that bible cover would be a good way to bring your trauma kit to church.
December 17, 2017, 10:58 AM
bigdogtx
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Agree with the others on off body carry. I use and recommend a Kangaroo Carry holster. Conceals well under a polo shirt and you can get them in various sizes for large or small guns. Carries a spare mag or speed strip, too.

In the sanctuary after bible study with my Kangaroo Carry with 320 and an extra mag as I type this. It works. My draw is 2 seconds more than owb with jacket and same as iwb.
December 17, 2017, 01:09 PM
hudr
I regularly carry at least a G19 either OWB or in a shoulder rig. I also carry an LCP in a pocket holster. Colder weather usually has me carrying a G20 OWB.
December 17, 2017, 01:43 PM
jljones
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Off-body carry in a church sounds like a very bad idea.

Very much so.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

December 17, 2017, 06:37 PM
ulsterman
I carry a full size .45 almost every day. You should be able to conceal it under a suit coat. If necessary, have your suit coats altered to conceal better.
December 18, 2017, 03:16 PM
Sigmund
Browndrake, how did the Smart Carry work yesterday? Inquiring minds want to know!
December 18, 2017, 04:16 PM
Browndrake
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Browndrake, how did the Smart Carry work yesterday? Inquiring minds want to know!

Well........It turns out my waist size and my friend’s are not as close I thought. He brought it into work this morning and I just now tried it out. It is too short. I couldn’t even get the ends to touch (almost). I hate being fat.

I put my gun in it and tried to hold it in place to maybe get an idea but that was kind of futile. I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and take a chance. I know they have money back guarantee, so I guess it’s not that big of a deal.

I hugged 2 people at church yesterday which is pretty normal. That fact is steering me away from a shoulder holster/jacket.

On a side note, this Wednesday after Bible study we have a local police officer stopping by and he is going to go over procedures and best practices with us.

Did I say I hate being fat???!!!!

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

December 18, 2017, 05:22 PM
rat2306
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
quote:

Well........It turns out my waist size and my friend’s are not as close I thought. He brought it into work this morning and I just now tried it out. It is too short. I couldn’t even get the ends to touch (almost). I hate being fat.

I put my gun in it and tried to hold it in place to maybe get an idea but that was kind of futile. I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and take a chance. I know they have money back guarantee, so I guess it’s not that big of a deal.

I hugged 2 people at church yesterday which is pretty normal. That fact is steering me away from a shoulder holster/jacket.

On a side note, this Wednesday after Bible study we have a local police officer stopping by and he is going to go over procedures and best practices with us.

Did I say I hate being fat???!!!!

+1 on the local police talking best practices and procedures with the church.
December 18, 2017, 07:20 PM
mikeyspizza
quote:

I doubt the LEO will be discussing recommended concealed carry methods. Probably get better ideas here.

The PD in our town invited clergy to meet with them and discuss ideas on how to make the houses of worship in our community safer for each congregation.
December 18, 2017, 08:24 PM
Browndrake
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:

I doubt the LEO will be discussing recommended concealed carry methods. Probably get better ideas here.

The PD in our town invited clergy to meet with them and discuss ideas on how to make the houses of worship in our community safer for each congregation.

Yeah, his presentation is not going to be geared toward CCW holders. It is for everyone in the congregation. I guess he has about an hour long Power Point presentation for us, with open discussion to follow. It should be interesting.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.

December 18, 2017, 09:33 PM
Sigmund
quote:

Yeah, his presentation is not going to be geared toward CCW holders. It is for everyone in the congregation. I guess he has about an hour long Power Point presentation for us, with open discussion to follow. It should be interesting.

You might consider NOT revealing to all that you carry in church. I know it makes no sense, but there may be some people in your church who think anyone with a gun is a problem.
December 19, 2017, 04:31 AM
gunnitt
I have permission to carry as well, and i do every week. I always wear dress slacks, shirt, tie, and sometimes a jacket or vest. ( live in SW Fl.) I also have to do some work before, and during Mass so I can NOT print, and I wear a smart carry with a HK45 compact and 2 mags as well. I found wearing suspenders instead of a belt has helped a Lot
December 19, 2017, 05:13 AM
Browndrake
quote:
quote:

You might consider NOT revealing to all that you carry in church. I know it makes no sense, but there may be some people in your church who think anyone with a gun is a problem.

When I was told that I had permission to carry I was also asked to make sure that I was discreet about it. Unless one of the church leaders asks me something directly, I’m not going to say one word to anyone about it.

December 19, 2017, 10:18 AM
RHINOWSO
I used to not believe the "always carry, never tell" saying - but now I do.
December 19, 2017, 10:19 AM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Off-body carry in a church sounds like a very bad idea.

FIFY
December 19, 2017, 11:15 AM
220-9er
This isn't about carry methods as much as security.
The church shootings that I recall all seemed to start with something happening out in the parking lot. Maybe having someone outdoors that can observe people coming and going would be a good idea.

December 19, 2017, 11:53 AM
Browndrake
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
This isn't about carry methods as much as security.
The church shootings that I recall all seemed to start with something happening out in the parking lot. Maybe having someone outdoors that can observe people coming and going would be a good idea.

Yes, there are two distinct things in play here. Obviously there are a lot of us who think that being armed while in church is a wise and prudent thing to do, especially if and when the security measures that you have put into place do not stop the threat.

I think that the overall security mindset is what is probably going to do us the most good on a practical level.
For instance, one of the things we quietly started doing is locking the doors to the main sanctuary after service begins. We have an usher posted at those doors who is there to greet people and let them in if they come late, but also to observe. It is these types of practices that we are going to be talking about tomorrow night. We want to know what is best for a congregation of our size and make up, not to mention our building location and design.

I'm sure a lot of what we'll cover will seem like common sense, but not having a military or LEO background or training, I'm sure I will learn some things tomorrow night. I expect it to be interesting and helpful.