SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Kydex holster makers - a question....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kydex holster makers - a question.... Login/Join 
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted
Do “Blue Guns” make good molds for Kydex holsters?

I’m considering picking up a Blue Gun for a pistol I own to have some Kydex holsters made vs. shipping the gun.

How well do they hold up to the process?

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
Do “Blue Guns” make good molds for Kydex holsters?

I’m considering picking up a Blue Gun for a pistol I own to have some Kydex holsters made vs. shipping the gun.

How well do they hold up to the process?

I'm not a holster maker, but don't think that will work. Don't the gun molds have to be metal for Kydex as you are really heating it up?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can mold Kydex on one of Ring's blue guns. Note that Blue Guns need work "blocking" a number of areas to build the holster properly. But to your original question, Kydex doesn't require that much heat that the replica would be damaged.

Posts: 3 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: May 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blue guns can be used as Kydex cools quickly enough and is not heated enough to distort the Blue Gun. If it is you will ruin the Kydex...As mentioned blocks are needed to mold the holster correctly, along the sight channel and where anything like a paddle or strap may be bolted on that the screws would contact the firearm

Posts: 339 | Location: Lower Alabama | Registered: November 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you feel it is necessary to buy a mold gun/ drone go to multimolds.com. Nobody uses blue guns in the "Dex" holster making world, they are inferior to the aluminum/ poly mixtures being used.Blocking and sight channel's are all done as multi molds designs their mold guns for holster makers. Plan on spensding 60-70 bucks on a mold gun. TIP: try my buddies at Omegaholsters.com (owner Nate) in lieu of buying a mold gun. He stocks over 80 models! He is a LEO in Texas and a good man. Hope this helps you.

Posts: 247 | Location: New York | Registered: January 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I too prefer Multi-Molds. I also still do quite a bit of blocking on the multi-mold before molding Kydex.

I use several other brands, I had an issue with a bunch of P239 holsters I built for members here, and found the mold was undersized. You should never expect a mold to be perfect, they are cheaply produced and not exact.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post