SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    What CCW training have you done?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What CCW training have you done? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
If you regularly carry, how much training have you done toward proficiency in combat or defensive handgun?

I've had only an intro class at what was then SIGARMS Academy. It looks like it might have been a combination of what is covered in Handgun 101 and 102 now. It did include some shooting training in addition to dealing with other non-shooting questions, introduction and information about CCW. However, I don't really feel it's enough if I'm serious about carrying.

Do you think Defensive Handgun competition is good training?

I guess in the end you can't train too much.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Quite a bit since I’ve been off the street. I’m in IT now, so I don’t train like I used to. I’ve been taking monthly 1 hour defensive training courses and my local shop. If nothing else, just to keep me current on any new regulations and to help sharpen the little things. I’m sitting in the lobby right now waiting on a class to start. Cafe is full, so I’m enjoying sitting under a big AC unit.

They have some interesting home defense classes using simunition that are hands on I’m thinking about taking too.

I’ve always felt, you owe it to yourself to train if you carry. I have friends that took the 8 hour course, loaded their weapons and probably haven’t fired a shot in the 10 years they’ve had their permit.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I've taken two basic beginners courses on concealed carry but mainly I read a lot, watch videos, and practice drawing from concealment with snap caps or an airsoft replica of my carry gun. My goals are training for a safe draw with emphasis on trigger discipline and getting hits as fast as I can.

My future goals are to attend a class or 4 that uses shooting simulators to present shoot/no shoot scenarios in order to get my mind familiar with making fast decisions during the draw and continue with USPSA and IDPA for basic gun handling and shooting while moving practice.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
"If you regularly carry, how much training have you done toward proficiency in combat or defensive handgun?"

MANY courses over the last 30 years.

"Do you think Defensive Handgun competition is good training?"

I have shot lots of different types of competition over the years, while I think that it is not "good training" per say, I do think that after one is trained, it can be used for practice... weapons handling, shooting from various positions, shooting while moving... etc...

But one must remember why is he "competing", lots of people start out to work on their defensive pistol skills - then realize that they don't like seeing their name on the bottom of the standings, so they start "playing the game".

Nothing wrong with "playing the game" lots of people want to shoot USPSA, IDPA, NRA Action Shooting, 3 Gun just to compete, to see how good they can be. So they put away the daily carry gun and iwb holster and strap on the competing rig and super blaster and have at it.

Its all in what you want to accomplish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
SigWolf,

You can't get any better than the Sig Academy and the extra benefit for you is it is not that far away. What I would actually suggest you consider is a course given at the Sig Academy by a private instructor.. Todd Rassa. Trust me you will not regret it... I've taken his force on force class twice and it will enlighten you to the potentials for bad in the real world and how you actually should respond.... I will say it is a whole different world when someone is actually shooting at you and you have a half second to react.

My second suggestion if you could manage it is the 4 day defensive hand gun class given by Front Sight out in Nevada.... this in reality will bring you to a level of 'discipline' with a handgun that you could never image. I have taken this class 3 times and each time I actually improve... the folks I go with have actually gone more times than that. If you look into this class don't get turned off by the cost of the class... there is a simple way to get around it....just ask me... but the reality is if you go to the class for 'free' you will be sending them money afterwards because of what you got out of it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think about how many days of training you took when you turned 16 so that you could properly employ the world's most often used deadly weapon and one that's in just about everybody's home - your car.

Sig Academy offers four foundational pistol courses , handgun 101, 102, 103 & 104. I skipped 101 so I can't speak for it but the other 3 courses are everything a defensive shooter should know. Handgun 104 is now offered in a 2-day format so that they can cover more defensive shooting techniques in greater depth. I'd say those four courses plus the 2-day concealed carry course (7 days of training) would be a good minimum for those wishing to competently and safely carry.

Other course providers closer to your home likely offer similar training, so check those out if a trip to Epping, NH is not feasible. There are good instructors in most locales, so finding one shouldn't be an issue if you take the time to do proper research.

If you want to go beyond the minimum and be better prepared then a Close Quarters Pistol class concentrating on shooting from zero - 3 yards along with movement and modified draws would be an excellent follow on to all of the above.

A course in your home state's gun laws and deadly force laws is also something every CCW holder should take. CCW holders are responsible for every bullet they fire so knowing when it's appropriate to fire and when it's not could turn out to be the difference between prison (for you), a no-shoot and a legitimate shoot. Of course the best outcome is developing the situational awareness to avoid these situations whenever possible.

It'd also be a good idea to take refresher courses every year along with dry fire practice at home where you practice drawing from concealment. Defensive shooting is a rapidly progressing field so what was state of the art 5 years ago is likely no longer best practice, hence the need for follow up training at regular intervals. The pistols, holsters, ammunition, sights and movement techniques used in defensive shooting are progressing at a fast pace thanks to the increasing popularity of competition shooting.

Do all of the above and you'll be shooting more accurately, be a faster shooter, and confident, safe and more situationally aware CCW permit holder.

For those of us who are trained, we all know CCW holders who are not trained and would appreciate
our guidance in recommending good courses offered by qualified instructors locally. Reach out to these folks and let them know of the training opportunities available nearby.

Posts: 70 | Registered: May 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I am not crazy about seeing my name at the lower third of the match results. I shoot one steel challenge a month. That is all I can afford. I try to concentrate on the guns that I carry. When the R.O. asks me if I have enough ammo in the gun after a string, I tell him that I do not care. I like to practice reloads. I am not good enough to place in the top 1/3. So, my score is not really important to me. I want to get better with what I carry and still have fun.

But one must remember why is he "competing", lots of people start out to work on their defensive pistol skills - then realize that they don't like seeing their name on the bottom of the standings, so they start "playing the game".

Nothing wrong with "playing the game" lots of people want to shoot USPSA, IDPA, NRA Action Shooting, 3 Gun just to compete, to see how good they can be. So they put away the daily carry gun and iwb holster and strap on the competing rig and super blaster and have at it.

Its all in what you want to accomplish.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in law enforcement for a long time. I took every firearms class I could. I've take numerous CCW classes from Sig, TDI, etc. About once every couple of years, I go back and take a basic handgun/rifle course.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to take at least two 'formal' classes a year. I also make every range session a training session where I work on honing my skills.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody in the south-Georgia or North Florida area looking for a training facility, Telluric Group in Brunswick, GA has many programs. They are right by FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) where all federal lawmen (except FBI and CIA) from Tribal Police to Air Marshals get their training. Telluric works with FLETC to provide various supplemental elements of training, or at least did a couple years ago. I've had several days worth of Defensive Pistol and it revolutionized my approach.

https://telluric.us

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheMan:
Anybody in the south-Georgia or North Florida area looking for a training facility, Telluric Group in Brunswick, GA has many programs. They are right by FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) where all federal lawmen (except FBI and CIA) from Tribal Police to Air Marshals get their training. Telluric works with FLETC to provide various supplemental elements of training, or at least did a couple years ago. I've had several days worth of Defensive Pistol and it revolutionized my approach.

Point of order, FLETC runs basic investigator courses for federal LE and basic firearms courses. Most agencies, such as named, don’t “get their training” at Glenco. The FAMS teach all of the high speed stuff at their own academy in NJ. The USSS does their stuff in Beltsville. DEA in Quantico.

You get the point. FLETC is basic, basic, basic training, and shouldn’t be confused, or misrepresented, with the finished product the FAMS (or other agencies) put out at their own academies respectively.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Point of order, FLETC runs basic investigator courses for federal LE and basic firearms courses. Most agencies, such as named, don’t “get their training” at Glenco. The FAMS teach all of the high speed stuff at their own academy in NJ. The USSS does their stuff in Beltsville. DEA in Quantico.

You get the point. FLETC is basic, basic, basic training, and shouldn’t be confused, or misrepresented, with the finished product the FAMS (or other agencies) put out at their own academies respectively.

Timely interesting news- so it seems that many agencies are now leaning toward not sending their candidates to FLETC until after they receive training at their own academies and actually go to their field offices for a while. That agents are going to start coming in as 1801s instead of 1811s, go to FLETC after a year or so on the job for the CI school.

The firearms training is going to continue to be remedial, basic stuff only.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I have taken many levels of combat handgun and also carbine operator courses. These courses were taught by a group former/current LEO SWAT instructors as well as former military operational instructors. The team had a motto "Train Hard, No Excuses", I'll tell you they almost ran me in to the ground but I finished the 2nd and third top shooters could never get first. I learned tons from the team stuff you don't get from your normal class. Hard intense training should be a must for all that carry. I remember during a renewal class for our "Wear Carry" permit here in Maryland, one who had carried for years couldn't hit the target nor safely reholster his weapon. It showed a need for ongoing training for all who carry. To this day, I try to shoot with my carry weapon at least once a week or more. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
A few years back someone here on the internet said something that rang true, at least to me.

"if you are gong to carry a gun then you should get as much training as often as possible that you can afford"

I do a minimum of 4 days a year.... cost a good bit but is well worth it.

Here's what I hope it has done for me... if that dreaded time ever came that I needed to use my weapon it will allow me that nano second of thought before the intense muscle memory that has been imbedded in me takes over. What I'm saying is that once I decide to use my gun... there is only draw, aim and fire... it is all one move.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:

I guess in the end you can't train too much.

If it pertains to taking formal classes, which is what I presume this thread is about, then you can certainly train too much. Classes aren't what makes people better, working on what one learned and been shown after the class is. There was time in my life when I took anywhere from 4 to 6 training classes a year and I wasn't anywhere where I wanted to be with my shooting. Changing that to a very specific class and instructor selection and dedicated work in-between helped a lot more.

quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:

Do you think Defensive Handgun competition is good training?

I am not sure what you mean by the defensive handgun competition, but practical handgun competition is an excellent technical skill builder. It is not training for a ccw person, it is a shooting skill development activity which is, imo, is invaluable in a practical sense.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

+1.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Timely interesting news- so it seems that many agencies are now leaning toward not sending their candidates to FLETC until after they receive training at their own academies and actually go to their field offices for a while. That agents are going to start coming in as 1801s instead of 1811s, go to FLETC after a year or so on the job for the CI school.

The firearms training is going to continue to be remedial, basic stuff only.

There's a handful of FAMS instructors at FLETC, but they don't instruct other FAMS they instruct other Federal LEOs on aircraft tactics.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been taking one and sometimes two classes per year from OpSpec Training, JLJones being the primary instructor. Although this is not CCW training per se, it is all about trigger control and aligning the sights. I can draw and dry fire at home, and practice on the range to be accurate.

That being said, I am planning on taking a MAG-40 class from Massad Ayoob in November. This class is for concealed carry, both the laws and practical.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
CCW 1 day class at small local place

2 day defensive handgun + 1 day Uzi class at Frontline

2 day armed guard training/certification (at request of homeschool co-op CEO - school my girls went to).

Books, Videos, Some dry-fire at home. Back yard firing range.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post