SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Do you do anything different when carrying wearing a suit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you do anything different when carrying wearing a suit? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
Thinking about a new suit. With the fashion today of being a more slender, fitted cut what do you do different when you dress up? I was in a Brooks Brothers store and asked the guy if their suits were altered by a tailor. He said yes. I said I have a rather delicate fitting issue I'd like to ask about. I told him I carry and could they deal with this issue. Without batting an eye he said oh yes we have done done that many times.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I wear a suit I have two choices. Either a) carry an extremely slim and light pistol on a reinforced belt, or b) wear a shoulder holster. I opted for a single stack in a shoulder holster but either way you will be unable to remove the jacket.

A good tailor can cut the jacket to accommodate the pistol. If you carry at the waist they will likely add a stiff piece of fabric to the area you intend to carry the firearm in order to reduce the outline. And if you carry in a shoulder holster they can also let out the fabric to make room for the pistol so that the jacket will sit more naturally.

Jos A. banks tailors can make these alterations to their suits without any real trouble.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I keep a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster handy for times like these.
I probably only have to wear a suit maybe 1-2 times a year.
If I were to have to wear a suit frequently, I would simply get a dressy ccw belt since my holsters are already tuckable.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I go with an Alessi Bodyguard horizontal shoulder rig.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a suit everyday. I wear a single stack 9mm inside the waistband also everyday. A traditional cut suit coat easily hides the butt of my P225A or P938. It does require you leave your jacket on. My coworkers got used to me not removing my jacket when in the office and I run my office A/C fairly cold.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the better part of 17 years:

Suit & Tie, P220, OWB Safariland holster or IWB Mitch Rosen holster, Mitch Rosen 1-1/2" belt, Mitch Rosen Double Magazine Carrier, Mitch Rosen Flashlight carrier, all concealed under a suit.
Take the items into tailor and wear your items when being fitted for the suit. Usually a jacket size larger. Get the inside of suit reinforced with heavier liner sewn in on both sides. It will make draws easier and avoid destroying a liner quickly. Brooks and Men's Wearhouse and good At these or a private seamstress.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 617 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive had success with "classic fit" suits, particularly from Haggar. They are cut wide enough they don't require any additional tailoring. I am 5'9 and about 200 for a frame of reference. No issues carrying a full size Glock with extra mags.

Posts: 377 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I would suggest making sure your belt loops are in the correct place for your holster. Some suits I wear the belt loops are in the wrong place. Also make sure the belt loops are big enough for your belt.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Thin pistol in a IWB really helps.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Last suit I got, the lady recommended a slim cut so I asked about my gun and spare mags and she said no problem. The tailor told me to put my gear on (Glock 32 and spare mag, both OWB) then did the measurements.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deen
posted Hide Post
+1 for tailoring with your carry rig.

See if they can add a thin leather shield over the carry area of the jacket (and inside the trousers for IWB) rather than fabric as it will wear better.

Consider also having a bit of weight, such as a washer, added to the bottom front corners of the jacket, inside the lining; if there is wind, it helps minimize flapping open, and when you sweep the jacket aside to draw, the weight helps keep it moving out of your way.

And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no, I do not do anything different.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not uncommon at all, even in california !

The tailors at nordstrom did a great job

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Well, sounds like we've got the tailoring covered.

OP: Do you DO anything different when carrying wearing a suit?

Yes, leave the jacket unbuttoned for quick access (unless outside in the wind).

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most carry pistols are about the same general size for me-approximated by a Glock 19. Any time I had a suit or coat fitted, it's never been a problem. The last time I had something fitted, it was a couple of Harris Tweeds I purchased while in Edinburgh. I got them slightly over sized, to have tailored locally. I took them to a Chinese place in Nashville that did laundry and tailoring. The lady that fitted the coats had heavily accented English. It wasn't the first time she had fitted a customer who was carrying. She told me she liked living in a country where good people could be armed.

What do I do different? I used to have to change in a locker room with people who would get upset at the sight of a Sig under my coat (and no, they weren't Glock affectionados). I took care of it two ways. I either went to the loo and put everything in my coat pockets, or pocket my magazine and carrier and turned and maintained the holstered pistol facing and partially in the opened locker, out of sight. I sometimes carried on conversations while doing so. No one ever gave any indication they noticed. When you lower your trousers, you have to hold them by the holster to prevent the weight from dropping them abnormally, however. With a bit of practice, everything can be done smoothly.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I pocket-carry a P-32, usually.

I prefer a suit/ sport coat with side vents and IWB if I carry something heavier. Side vents make for an easier draw from the waist, IMO. Here's a picture to illustrate the difference.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
We had a LEO that went to my Church, he was a detective. He always carried just bekind his right hip IWB he would take his jacket off in Church from time to time but, unless you were looking for it you almost wouldn’t notice it that much.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
We had a LEO that went to my Church, he was a detective. He always carried just bekind his right hip IWB he would take his jacket off in Church from time to time but, unless you were looking for it you almost wouldn’t notice it that much.

I rarely wear a suit but this is how I carry a G43 in a RGrizzle tuckable IWB. Without a jacket one doesn’t know it is there aside from the belt clip.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
All that ^^^^ and I use suspenders to support the pants.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:

I rarely wear a suit but this is how I carry a G43 in a RGrizzle tuckable IWB. Without a jacket one doesn’t know it is there aside from the belt clip.
Just don’t be that guy wearing the clip with the holster company emblem.

When I was renting a home a couple years ago, two people from the rental management company came by for a lease renewal walkthrough. The guy was thin and wearing a polo tucked into khakis and externally I couldn’t see a weapon, however the CrossBreed Crosses on the clips were a dead giveaway.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post