SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Florida places prohibited: Daytona International Speedway?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida places prohibited: Daytona International Speedway? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
The DIS website lists firearms as not allowed.

http://www.daytonainternationa...rohibited-Items.aspx

I am thinking this is DIS policy, not Florida law.

There seems to be some confusion on this issue on various forums.

I cannot find 'sports arena' or anything similar as being prohibited in the Florida Statute:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/sta...ections/0790.06.html

Any help?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this is being applied?

(not sure if the wording is connected to the "schools" section, or if it is and "or" understanding of the entire statement.

How do our leagle beagles understand the statement;

quote:
...Any school,or professional athletic event not related to firearms;...

Since the statement of "school" and "professinal athletic event"(PAE) is concatenated, is it implied that the "PAE" is a related to school? Or is it any "PAE", in which case, it would be prohibited at a NASCAR (or similar venue).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I cannot find 'sports arena' or anything similar as being prohibited in the Florida Statute:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/sta...ections/0790.06.html

That state statute specifically prohibits carrying a firearm at "Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms."

So the question is whether NASCAR is considered an "athletic event" under Florida law. If so, that would apply.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
is it implied that the "PAE" is a related to school?

No, it's listing the three types of athletic events at which they're banned:
-School athletic events
-College athletic events
-Professional athletic events

Not just professional athletic events that take place at schools.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
So the question becomes whether an athletic event is the same as a sporting event.

Auto racing, fishing, and bowling are sports.

Are they also athletic events?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
I can't find any definition of athletic event within the Florida statutes.

So I would assume they are going by the obvious definition which would likely exclude NASCAR. Of course they could also go by what the legislature meant, which was to kowtow to the sports lobbyists which means NASCAR is included.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
They put on a huge car show every year. I bring my gun, because a car show is not a sporting event.

NASCAR, on the other hand, would be considered a sporting event or athletic event as it related to the state statute, I'm pretty sure.

Monster Jam, or monster truck shows, are another gray area, but most consider them off limits until a test case goes through and gets decided.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I went to the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona last year. I begrudgingly left my CCW behind not knowing what to expect. I figured, like every other sporting event I've been to in the past 5 - 10 years I'd get wanted, patted down or checked in some way or another. Not at all. Not even close and I didn't see anyone else getting checked.

What I did see was LOTS of heavily armed security, full battle dress, M4 rifles at the ready etc. IIRC it was shortly after some attack and threat levels were higher than normal which made me want my piece all the more.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post