SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    accessibility, time counts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

accessibility, time counts Login/Join 
posted
I thought it would be appropriate at this time in my life to throw my hat in the ring so to speak and offer my two cents worth of opinion regarding CCW. Having spent 33 years in law enforcement has given me numerous opportunities to watch, look and listen to others opinions regarding CCW and I thought that maybe, just maybe that I could impart some sound words of advice regarding what I learned over the years.

Accessibility , Time Counts
Although there are a variety of means and methods a person can employ to carry their concealable firearm on their person, the key factor of “accessibility” can be the determining factor of the out come.
How quickly an individual is able to gain access to their concealed firearm during a highly volatile and stressful situation and confront the threat depends on two factors. Number one is what physical position finds themselves at the time of the confrontation. Standing erect on your feet? Sitting in a car? Lying on the ground? Number two is the preferred method one carrying their firearm and what type of equipment utilized securing the firearm. IWB, OWB, POCKET, ANKLE, or SHOULDER among other ways are variety of ways to conceal carry with each method having both pluses and minuses.

Lets start with a situation where one is standing erect on their feet during an encounter. Pocket carry wins here with my vote. Concealed and readily available with a minimum of body mechanics involved during presentation of the firearm. Add to that I would venture to say most of us during our lives have developed muscle memory by repeatedly reaching into our pockets to retrieving a variety of items. So, under times of extreme stress this muscle memory imprinting could lend itself to a quicker and successful presentation of a concealed firearm. On the downside if one is seated, or lying prone, pocket carry can present some delay in retrieving the firearm. Not impossible, but definitely can slow things down. Now lets look at IWB, OWB and SHOULDER HOLSTER carry options , These methods require some additional measures for concealment purposes, i.e. coat, jacket,shirt,etc. Slower in retrieval of a concealed firearm but advantageous while seated, kneeling, or lying prone. Also presents the issue of telegraphing your moves to your adversary , i.e. sweeping back your jacket, lifting your shirt etc. which can be counterproductive and have an adverse impact on the outcome. Finally utilizing a ankle holster does provide a good measure of concealment and advantage of being readily available while lying prone, kneeling or sitting but like IWB, OWB and SHOULDER HOLSTER, rapid retrieval can be delayed.

Lastly, regardless on what method one utilizes to carry their concealable firearm, one thing that is imperative is your holster gear. It is somewhat perplexing to me why an individual would shell out a considerable amount of cash to purchase a quality firearm yet settle for a mediocre holster. Why would anyone purchase a holster that could invariably delay a rapid ,unimpeded draw of a firearm. It is just as important to have a good, operational, quality holster as the gun itself. Remember accessibility, time counts.

Cordially,
Robert Mika

P.S. Any feedback regarding this post from members of this forum would be greatly appreciated

Posts: 2 | Registered: June 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum.

I read your post several times, but I must say it leaves me a bit confused. Are you implying that pocket carry gives you an advantage because the bad guy won't recognize the motion of putting your hand in your pocket as a threat? One of the very first things I did when initiating contact with someone was to determine where their hands were, and to try to keep them in sight until I could determine the threat level.

Every method of carry has it's pros and cons. Unless you're bound by departmental regs or some kind of employment contract it's up to the individual to determine what fits best with their lifestyle. Other than that I'm kind of curious as to where you're going with this.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SgtGold,

Regarding where the hands are; you are looking at it from the opposite perspective. If the criminal thought someone was a threat (due to hand position or any reason under the sun), they wouldn't select them as a victim. Or, upon seeing the hand going into the pocket, split.

LE vs. criminal is a completely different dynamic than criminal v. citizen.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
SgtGold,

Regarding where the hands are; you are looking at it from the opposite perspective. If the criminal thought someone was a threat (due to hand position or any reason under the sun), they wouldn't select them as a victim. Or, upon seeing the hand going into the pocket, split.

LE vs. criminal is a completely different dynamic than criminal v. citizen.

And the criminal perpetrating a hold up isn't going to view their victim reaching into a pocket as a threat? Ever try to quick draw from pocket carry? I may be alone in this but I find it slower than both methods of belt carry.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most people I know who advocate for pocket carry say to have your hand in the pocket with a firing grip BEFORE you need to draw. I can see this working in a situation that has some build-up. It's not going to work so well in a sudden surprise situation, unless you always walk around with your hands in your pockets.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
And the criminal perpetrating a hold up isn't going to view their victim reaching into a pocket as a threat?

Not necessarily. Where do most people keep their money/phone/wallet/etc.? In their pockets. If a criminal is going to rob someone, it seems like it'd be expected for the victim to reach into his pockets.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Rather than cutting a fraction of a second off my draw, I'd focus more on practicing my situational awareness skills.
Being more aware and alert to trouble, I can gain anywhere from several seconds, to better defend myself, to several minutes to not be there in the first place.
This sort of stuff seems like misplaced priorities to me. Depending on beating someone to the draw by fractions of a second sounds like watching an old western movie.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
This sort of stuff seems like misplaced priorities to me. Depending on beating someone to the draw by fractions of a second sounds like watching an old western movie.

It is. I use pocket carry for my J frame because I don't have to dress around carrying a gun. I can carry in the pocket of a swim suit and not worry about a belt. For me it's not about the speed of the draw, it's about always being armed regardless of how I'm dressed.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I think the OP is just pointing out that different carry methods fit different situations.

There is a speed of access vs degree of concealment factor, whether one is sitting most of the time like a professional driver, etc.

Ideally, I would want the weapon to be within a few inches of my firing hand at all times, with nothing in the way. This would require several holster/carry method changes a day.

Sadly, there is not one best carry method. So instead, you compromise.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, several of us have given positive reviews of Robert's holsters (and handcuff cases, and notepad covers, etc.) through the years. He makes good stuff.

Beyond that, and much more important to many of us, he is a good and generous man, with an unquestionable focus on customer service, and a respectable background.

Robert,

Welcome to the forum (I see you registered long ago, but you might have the record for waiting to make your first post!). It's an honor to have you here.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
P.S. Any feedback regarding this post from members of this forum would be greatly appreciated

While I agree with the idea that time counts once a need is imminent, and that focusing on a quality holster for a quality gun is also important, comfort is the most important for the average civilian. That said, all three should be considered essential.
The reason I put comfort at the top of the list is that being armed as close to 100% of the time is the most important and comfort is essential or most won't carry all the time.
I'm also glad to see you here and hope to hear more from you on the subject. I think we are all looking for that perfect solution but realize that is a moving target.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I happen to have very large hands, so pocket carry in anything other than large pocket cargo pants dose not allow me a great shooting index on my firearm. My point here is body type or physical constraints sometimes play a larger role in where and how we carry concealed.

Walking all day at a street fair? Apendex is great for me...... until I need to sit down, then it’s uncomfortable AND inconvenient.

The other issue is what you want to carry. Pocket and apendex carry mean a smaller gun for me. What if I want a larger gun?

Having a gun is the first part of surviving a gun fight, no matter where you keep it. Quick access from a variety of positions is best, but sometimes not possible.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried all the different types of carry. Because I wore a duty belt for 25+ years, I only feel comfortable with strong side OWB. It is reflex to bring my hand to the gun in this position and I carry an OWB holster exclusively. In winter, I wear a winter weight vest unzipped for access. In summer, a lightweight vest or unbuttoned shirt over a tee shirt. I also just bought a seat belt extender for my truck that gives me better access to my pistol while in the truck. I work quite a bit to "clear" my cover garment during a draw.
No matter the holster type you choose, a safe, rapid draw is as much a training necessity as your shooting skills.
I hope to hear more from Mr. Mika.
Welcome aboard!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
https://mikaspocketholsters.com/

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
https://mikaspocketholsters.com/

He makes a good product.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
As for pocket carry and speed: I do like the angle of being able to have a hand on my firearm while it is still concealed - without others even aware of that fact - if the situation arises. To me, this is the biggest advantage of pocket carry.

Glad you're here, Mr. Mika.
One day, I'm going to own one of your holsters.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post