SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Learn from me - carrying in cold weather
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learn from me - carrying in cold weather Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So learned an important lesson last night while practicing some nighttime photography; a 10mm 1911 in a cross draw holster under 3 layers of clothing is about as accessible as leaving it locked up in the truck.

The gun and holster combination has worked fine for me in the past, but last night underneath all those layers was just unworkable. I was totally focused on getting a skyline shot and my camera on the tripod when all at once I heard one hell of a noise behind me. I'm thinking bear? moose? sasquatch? No just one very pissed off Canadian Goose walking by itself at 0400 making all kinds of noise.

So thinking I may try the chest holster rig for my 629 Mountain gun that I bought and have never used under a few less layers.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just looked at Anchorage forecast. Colder than I am in N.E. Ohio and I know it's gets ALOT colder there later in Winter.
My normal Winter carry is a shirt, hoodie and my Carharrt jacket. I wouldn't call it open carry but I do carry my 19X in an OWB holster. It's a thumb snap so I have retention and better security than just an open top holster.
Decently accessible with a tug on the hoodie to get my right hand on the grip. I'll probably start getting ready to practice in a few weeks with this setup.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest challenger for me with concealed carry?
Cold weather.
Other than a coat pocket carry snub, I usually go OWB. Then I wear a light weight liner jacket with the liner tucked behind the pistol butt. I keep the liner zipped up for warmth. Then I wear a shell jacket over the liner, which I leave unzipped. This keeps me warm and gives me good access.
If out and about in the woods in really cold weather, I wear a chest rig over the liner and then zip the shell over the chect rig.
I also wear a heavy Carhartt hoodie if it is not to cold.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Yup, perfect case for a hammer less snubbie....I carried a CA Bulldog for a couple winters this way.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a good use for a small pistol or revolver in your outer coat pocket as your first "go-to." A little gun to fight your way to the big gun.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a P239 357 in a kydex chest holster. The holster could be configured for canted upward or downward draw. Vertical up under bibs with a zipper jacket or down when wearing regular jeans and a hoodie. Perfect for temps between -30 to 40. Very easy draw.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I suppose a move to Florida is out of the question? Razz

Is an outer holster a total no-go? As in, something that fits either outside all the layers or at least all but one layer? If not, agree with a bigger sized chest rig, just to allow for the friggin' arctic tundra you live in?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Here's your 'Alaskan' solution, which would be my choice for a revolver -> https://www.diamonddcustomleat...choice-chest-holster

They're even local to you, in an 'Alaskan' kinda way.... Wink

That said, for a semi-auto, I'd go with this -> https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

Full Disclosure: I have a Kenai Chest Holster from Gunfighters[Inc] and it's a REALLY Nice rig. I got it to carry an HK USPc and I can't recommend it enough! The people at Gunfighters were great to deal with and customized it EXACTLY the way I wanted it. The quality is excellent, it's extremely adjustable and it carries VERY well! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ What he said! My chest rigs are Gunfighters.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Simply Rugged makes a great chest set up (Chesty Puller):

https://www.simplyrugged.com/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post