SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Thoughts on Stealthgear Ventcore holsters?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Stealthgear Ventcore holsters? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Anybody have thoughts on these, especially the claim to allow more airflow?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
It's essentially a pad between your gun and your body. Its made of some fibrous foam stuff sandwiched between nylon on the gun side and sports jersey material on the side that touches your body.

I used to have one made for appendix for a Glock 26 and still have a Revolution for a G19.

I would say it adds more "airflow" in the sense that the material lets your skin breathe as you perspire, rather than having sweat accumulating between your body and non-poruous holsters like leather or kydex.

I will say that I use different holsters for carry, so I can't comment on long term usage.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have the Onyx. Love it. You still feel it, and it still gets warm. I've worn it for 2 and a half years. Don't see the need to try anything else.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have alot of them and they are the most comfortable holsters I have worn. Both IWB & OWB.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I have the Onyx. Love it. You still feel it, and it still gets warm. I've worn it for 2 and a half years. Don't see the need to try anything else.

Same here. This is what I prefer for a holster, period. Tried OWB kydex, IWB kydex, IWB kydex with leather backing, but this is where it's at for me. In fact, I ordered a new one yesterday, a mini. Mine's holding up well and still has a lot of life left in it, but the "platform" with the wide wings doesn't fit me super well and I wished it had the dimensions of the mini from day one. I carry just in front of my hip rather than just behind it and it has put a crimp in the trailing wing as a result.

They breathe better than leather, for sure. Far more comfortable than kydex, and there's virtually no break-in period.

Overall, I think it's a much better product than the Comp-Tac MTAC I used for a few years prior. The screws seem beefier and stay put much better, the overall fit of the holster to the gun is better, and the breathability is far above and beyond the leather backing on the MTAC. The clips are way better, much beefier and they hold their set nicely, no stretching or flexing. I actually gave my MTAC to a buddy about a day after I got the Onyx. I just knew I didn't want or need it as a backup anymore.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Been wearing them exclusively for about 5 years now. Definitely the best holster ive ever tried. I dont like their new Revolution shit. But the original ventcore, yes. 120%.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
Been wearing them exclusively for about 5 years now. Definitely the best holster ive ever tried. I dont like their new Revolution shit. But the original ventcore, yes. 120%.

Same. They actually displaced Milt Sparks for me. I exclusively use them now and still have ones for the Glock 19 and 43 I need to sell. I’m back on DA/SA so have Ventacores (was called Onyx prior) for PX4c and SC, as well as P30 and P30sk. They allow air to pass on your hip so the breathing they talk about isn’t bullshit. Very comfortable and retention is solid. I also have their AIWB version for when I need deep concealment. Very hot and humid here so this is the best holster on the market for my needs. I always use the metal clip option. I’ve yanked and yanked on presentations and none of mine have ever pulled off. Fantastic holsters.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Well as follow up I ended up scoring a SG holster for my VP9 here on the forum. Been wearing it about two weeks, to include a week of vacation on Padre Island followed by a few days in (very hot) San Antonio. Very pleased with it. Mostly carried my P30sk but it carries the VP9 and full sized P30 equally as well. As others note I do feel like it allows more air flow than other designs/materials.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Have one for my G19, my favorite IWB.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Anybody have thoughts on these, especially the claim to allow more airflow?

The Ventcore series are excellent holsters. The new Revolution series are not in the same league. I used to have some criticism for StealthGear holsters because the original is pretty wide (wider than many other hybrids). It takes up a lot of real estate on the belt. That was okay for larger guns but I felt it was unnecessary for sub-compacts, but now they have the Ventcore Mini which is 20% narrower, so that addressed my only concerns with them. As far as the claim to allow more airflow, as others mentioned, they still get warm like any other hybrid holster but I think it feels more comfortable due to the breathable material. I also like the fact that you can actually wash the holster with soap and water if you really needed to. It gets pretty hot and humid on the Gulf Coast, and that's a nice option to have after prolonged use.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I have thoughts, but no direct experience.

When I was looking for a P365 holster I checked them out and was impressed with them and with Black Arch holsters.

Not sure how the venting actually would work under the circumstances and I've never had an issue carrying in leather IWB holsters like the VersaMax. But perhaps it's more of a problem than I realize.

I like the look of the holsters though. As someone else mentioned, they seem to have a large footprint for the standard, but the mini seems good.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the mini exclusively up to a Glock 19. 365 & XDs as well, all good to go!

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
It's ok. As it has a foam and perforated mesh lining, it works to keep it away from your body to aid in comfort. It is comfortable, but if you are a sweater, it will absorb and hold moisture. No effect on the pistol thus far.

Ive only worn mine for a few hours (8) a day, so no extended experience. No problems thus far, but thought the price was a tad too high.

I would have purchased a more of them if they were $50, but for $80, I'll keep looking for alternatives.

Doesn't mean I won't buy more, but I haven't tried enough to make an educated decision.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post