SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    A Shout-Out for Milt Sparks and Their Roadrunner Holster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Shout-Out for Milt Sparks and Their Roadrunner Holster Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
My most-often-carried pistol is a full-size 1911, and I in turn most often carry one IWB. Sometimes, the urge is there to carry OWB, and I’ve experimented with a number of holsters (of both varieties) over time to find what works best for me.

I’d read of a no-longer-advertised Roadrunner holster from Milt Sparks. High-riding and forward-canted, it looked and sounded like just the ticket for me, as I like my IWB holster similarly situated (I use a Sparks or Bruce Nelson Combat Leather Summer Special for IWB).

A call to the fine folks at Milt Sparks got things rolling. Though no longer cataloged, they will still craft a Roadrunner to-order. In their parlance, this holster is also known as an “old-style 60TK,” a reference to the high-riding OWB holster listed in their current lineup.

The wait for the holster was five months almost to the day...and it was worth it to me. The Roadrunner keeps the gun close and high on the belt, well-concealed and actually (dare I say it?) comfortable for all-day carry.

I don’t know what other guns the Milt Sparks folks might craft one of these for, but if you have a need / want for well-made OWB holster that smacks of old-school goodness mixed with modern-day relevance, ring-up the Sparks shop and ask specially for “Jim” (Jim Wall).

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous hunk of leather! My Sparks Summer Special for a full size 1911 is 20+ years old and still going strong. Thats quality!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Milt Sparks is at the top of my list for high quality gunleather. Beautiful work that is seldom equaled by competitors and never surpassed (IMHO). It's so good to see holster makers offer finely finished leather products as an alternative to the latest "plastic fantastic" (kydex) stuff.

I recently purchased a Wilson Combat X9 EDC and usually carry it in this Milt Sparks Nexus:

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
To me, there is no better IWB than the SSII! I have one for my Glock 43X and 48. I can carry very comfortably all day and it’s very secure. Love me some Sparks leather.

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Looking good. I agree, can’t beat Milt Sparks for some amazing 1911 leather.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all!

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I buy Milt Sparks for everything I own.

These and the 60-TK always rode a little too high for me.

I'm a fit guy but the slightest love handle will make this high ride noticeable.

Not knocking them as they are the one and only holster maker I order leather from. Love their stuff but had to sell off these. Sucks too cause they are such nice looking holsters.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Almost 2 months in now with the Roadrunner, and it still holds, for me, the title of Best OWB Holster for a 1911.

My first choice is still a Summer Special IWB, but the Roadrunner places a Government Model at virtually the same position height- and angle-wise.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza