SIGforum
Shared holster compatibility.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/3150049174

July 03, 2020, 08:39 PM
Harperdr1
Shared holster compatibility.
Hey guys and gals. New here to the forum so my apologies if this is known or repetitive. I picked up my first Sig ever today. It’s a P229r DA/SA in 357 Sig and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it fits very nicely in some quality leather holsters I have for a S&W M&P 9/40. Also fits a couple Springfield XD holsters I have. Are there other models with shared compatibility that are known? Found it interesting and it made me curious. Maybe this helps someone by chance
July 04, 2020, 12:36 AM
YooperSigs
Welcome aboard! You will find the 226 and 220 can often share holsters too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
July 04, 2020, 06:46 PM
Nismo
Leather is a lot more forgiving than kydex in this manner.
July 05, 2020, 10:37 AM
az4783054
Just because it 'fits' doesn't necessarily mean it's safe to use, especially if the holster was made for a different manufacturer/platform/firing mechanism pistol.

There's a member here who can attest to using the wrong holster may result in loss of a significant amount of skin. If I remember correctly, he used a holster which seemed to 'fit', but upon holstering the pistol fired because the trigger was pressed by the incorrect molding for another pistol.
July 05, 2020, 11:03 AM
ensigmatic
I'll share holsters between my "government" 1911's because they're dimensionally identical.

I would not be inclined to try to share holsters between different makes and models of other handguns, however. As member az4783054 notes: Just because it seems to fit, doesn't mean it fits right. Besides the potential safety consideration he mentions, there's the possibility of dimensionally different pistols affecting retention.

Even the best holsters are a fraction of the cost of a good handgun. I see no point in saving money this way.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
July 05, 2020, 11:33 AM
RogueJSK
Yep. Just because a gun "goes inside" doesn't mean it "fits".

I can squeeze into a Medium shirt, or drape on a 4XL shirt, but neither one "fits". Wink

Besides, by stuffing a dimensionally different gun into a holster designed for another model, you're stretching out the leather from its original molding. So you'll end up with a holster that fits neither gun well.