SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CHL/CCW Should training be a requirement?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHL/CCW Should training be a requirement? Login/Join 
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
If you are of the mind that there should be any requirements (I prefer Constitutional Carry) then NO there should not be any training required but proficiency YES.
IF you have to have a license - must know the laws and be able to shoot.
Ultimately you have to be responsible for your actions.

For me this is a hard argument to overcome. Require (at least initial) proficiency, if they can't shoot then they're a danger and need training until proficient. Then turn 'em loose.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. No requirement. It's a God given Right, backed by the U.S. Constitution. So again. No. No requirement.

Should someone that carries get training? Yep, they should be a responsible citizen and get at least some basic training. Again, being required, by law by the government. No. Not on your life.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
More lives could be saved if we required training before allowing someone to drink and drive.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
No. No requirement. It's a God given Right, backed by the U.S. Constitution. So again. No. No requirement.

Should someone that carries get training? Yep, they should be a responsible citizen and get at least some basic training. Again, being required, by law by the government. No. Not on your life.

ARman

+1 million.
The 2nd Amendment is a right. Driving is not. So, folks should really stop with making analogy between the two.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Nope.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the "required", no way.
But I'm also in the camp of rights take responsibility. Get your ass trained, because its the right thing to do, not because you have too.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
No.

ETA: The fact that one of the best (and most deliberate and conscientious) instructors I know posted Nope a few responses ahead of me says a ton.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Sat through a concealed carry class here in North Carolina.

The instructor told us you could shoot through the door if someone was banging on your door and you felt threatened.

I asked what about identifying your target.
His response was that’s not required, I am teaching you the law.

Eight hours of wasted time.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:

ARman

+1 million.
The 2nd Amendment is a right. Driving is not. So, folks should really stop with making analogy between the two.

Understood. Clearly.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If training is a "good thing" I suggest that it should be part of the basic public school curriculum, probably a required subject. After all, everyone should have knowledge of basic self-defense skills.

Even though FL CWL requirements are quite basic at present, it would be relatively easy to make the requirements difficult and thus reduce the number of people qualifying.

The old question still is "Who Decides". We could easily elect people who would make training impossible to pass.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
The fact that one of the best (and most deliberate and conscientious) instructors I know posted Nope a few responses ahead of me says a ton.

It does.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
If a right requires a test, it is no long a right, it is a privilege.

So no. Not only no, but fuck no. Fuck no until the Sun burns out.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If training is a "good thing" I suggest that it should be part of the basic public school curriculum, probably a required subject. After all, everyone should have knowledge of basic self-defense skills.

Hunter safety was a required class in some local high schools. Game warden taught it. Instructor had a big plug of tobacco in his mouth all the time. Kids really learned alot. Had to ID legal and illegal ducks as well. Good course for kids. Benefits to living in a rural state.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Yes, as others have stated.

Firearm safety training should be required in Middle or High School, preferably Middle School.

This would be the best and most effective way to encourage safe firearm handling practice.
Mandatory training in school would help safe lives.

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

I like that answer. It expounds very well on my long winded post of "No."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

I like that answer. It expounds very well on my long winded post of "No."

Smile Somewhat emphatic.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
NO. It is a right. You shouldn't need to ask anyone's permission.

It should be incentivized, but not required.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Why to we need to seek a permit at all?

really, other than generating $$$ for the state, I don't see the point.

I was once told, "So LEO's know your legal to carry", but that's a bunch of crap.

I was also told it's so LEO's can be notified over radio/computer that you might be armed when they run your plate, but how stupid is that, since anyone could be armed, permit or not.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
It should be incentivized...

Imagine. I'd give up a body part to hear that pass a politician's lips on the floor.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I'm firmly in the mandatory training camp and nothing that I've read here in years past and present will change my mind.

You carry a deadly device. At least know what you're doing and do it competently. If you can't demonstrate skill under pressure you are not a competent shooter. You are a gun owner but not ready to carry.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post