SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Trunk carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trunk carry Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I would NOT keep a long gun chambered in a car. TMK, they do not have the same drop safeties as a handgun, and might be more likely to fire in a wreck - and, if you're in a situation to get one out of a trunk, I suspect clambering wouldn't be an issue.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Given that just about 100% of the guns used in crimes were stolen from somebody else, I'd be concerned about being a doner. IMNSHO I'd be stashing a pump shotgun in some kind of locking collar for my get home gun.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Given that just about 100% of the guns used in crimes were stolen from somebody else, I'd be concerned about being a doner. IMNSHO I'd be stashing a pump shotgun in some kind of locking collar for my get home gun.

I'm looking at some type of locking device for it. I would definitely feel better.
My maintenance person at work owns a fab shop and I have him looking to make me something.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the few times I've kept an AR in my car, I used a long, thick steel cable lock. I locked the bolt back, threaded the cable through the ejection port and out the magazine well. I then locked it to the car seat anchor points in the car. I figure the BCG is locked back, preventing disassembly, and the cable goes through the upper and lower. It's fairly strong, would definitely prevent a smash and grab theft. I even took a cheap case and cut out space for the cable, so it's covered as well.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mosquito:
There is a school of thought that says if you can get to your car, leave.

It would take a very special circumstance to get me back into a firefight after I was able to leave it safely.

Sound advice.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Trunk Carry

I see nothing wrong with it...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally I try not to overthink or needlessly worry about the legal consequences of a self defense shooting, but justifying using a rifle and several magazines worth of ammo in self defense, does sound like an uphill legal battle.

I also tend to think that 2 magazines worth of pistol rounds are enough to fight your way out of any conceivable self defense situation.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've spent the previous few years going back and forth on the subject of the trunk gun. I like the idea and can see quite a bit of benefit in the idea, especially if we were expecting the apacolypse to happen tomorrow. My primary concern is making sure it isn't stolen before it is needed and reducing the financial risks while maintaining its serviceability.

If it were me I'd want an AR pistol with a 12" barrel and a brace to allow me to keep it loaded while conforming to local laws regarding loaded long guns. Failing that I can see keeping a 16" carbine broken down in one of those Larue or Hazard 4 cases.

But for this to work it would probably need to either be a trunk or some kind of discreet storage compartment in an SUV.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
As astutely stated, leave. There aren't many firefights I can envision that I'd care to remain in if given the choice to egress. However, one must consider being blocked in or having your vehicle disabled. In a hostile crowd situation, unless you are running a 4 minute mile, accessing a long arm may be your only option for survival.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jager,

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I prefer the belt and suspenders approach: a long gun secured in the trunk in what's distaste of readiness allowed by your state, with a handgun accessible from the drivers seat. Keep a load out carrier of som sort with hi cap pistol and rifle mags, so no matter what weapon you need to use, you've got plenty of ammo. Can't get away by car? Have enough ammo for your handgun to get you to your long gun if possible. If that's a o go, at least you have enough to keep the handgun running.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I prefer the belt and suspenders approach: a long gun secured in the trunk in what's state of readiness allowed by your state, with a handgun accessible from the drivers seat. Keep a load out carrier of some sort with hi cap pistol and rifle mags, so no matter what weapon you need to use, you've got plenty of ammo. Can't get away by car? Have enough ammo for your handgun to get you to your long gun if possible. If that's a no go, at least you have enough to keep the handgun running.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to handle one of the new Rattler pistols at a gunshop the other day. 5" 300AAC. with a collapsing brace. Seemed just about perfect except for the $2300 price tag.

Not a cop, but I would imagine anybody with an AK/AR at a riot would earn a frown or two.

Posts: 426 | Location: Georgia | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post