SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Trunk carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trunk carry Login/Join 
posted
Serious question here. It has crossed my mind several times including last night when I left work and there was a neighborhood feud going on with quite a few people involved.
I have an AR and an AK and have seriously thought about having a rifle in my trunk, fully loaded with some spare magazines.
I'm not paranoid but have come to the reality that a pistol with 1 or 2 spare magazines may not be enough sometimes. I also subscribe to the adage of "fight to your rifle".
I have a newer car that has the cargo netting built in and think it would be a great spot to store a rifle.
Thoughts?

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many good choices and most will say an AR. I will swim upstream:
Buy a good used lever gun in 30-30. Ghost ring receiver sights.
My only concern with a lever is you must cycle ammo through the action to unload for admin handling.
If you have use it, you lose it. Better your mutt than your AR.
And consider a rust resistant finish. Trunk guns undergo a lot of temperature and humidity changes. Check it often.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Yoop. I think it's gonna be the AK with a few magazines. Pretty hard to not get that rifle to not work after abusing it.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first started as a cop, our 870s were mounted on the trunk lid with plastic covered clips. Which made me nervous if I had the trunk open and was busy at a scene. The gun was essentially unsecured.
If your netting system allows it, keep the AK out sight to help keep it secure. A gun locking system that bolts to the metal of trunk is not a bad idea. There are both electrical and key locking models that should work for you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Steve McQueen of SIGforum
Picture of mosquito
posted Hide Post
There is a school of thought that says if you can get to your car, leave.

It would take a very special circumstance to get me back into a firefight after I was able to leave it safely.

www.seventactical.com

Posts: 4711 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mosquito:

It would take a very special circumstance to get me back into a firefight after I was able to leave it safely.

This. If you get caught up in a riot or such, use the 2000 pound weapon you are sitting in as the first line of defense and get the hell out.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My main justification for my AR pistol.

Can't have a loaded rifle in a car in WA, but with my CPL I can have the 7.5" AR with Sig Brace locked and loaded with three spare mags in the trunk or back seat.

Yes, if you can get to your car and leave that is a good idea. If there is no escape (barricade, washed out road, riot) and you can get to your car you can hunker down or grab it and go on foot.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely. This is SHTF circumstance only.
As pointed out, blocked in or no way to leave.
I have it in the cargo netting now with a 30 round magazine in it and 2 spare 30 round magazines.

posted Hide Post
" There are both electrical and key locking models that should work for you. "

lots of used police shotgun/rifle mounts on ebay these days.

Posts: 186 | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is it reachable from the drivers seat? Locked in the trunk, it's useless in the situation you're talking about.

Much more likely theft bait than anything else. I know we tend to discuss SHTF situations a lot here. But the circumstances in which a long gun (even if legally/technically a pistol) stored in a car will ever be useful is so theoretical as to be unnecessary, and the chances of it being stolen and used nefariously are vastly higher.

quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:

Absolutely. This is SHTF circumstance only.
As pointed out, blocked in or no way to leave.
I have it in the cargo netting now with a 30 round magazine in it and 2 spare 30 round magazines.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I envision a senerio like the news videos several months ago where a group of yoots took control of an intersection and started a riot. OK, now you come through with several cars in train and get blocked in. You now have to get out of the car, open the trunk and retrieve your long gun. As soon as you get out, you are in trouble, as soon as you open the trunk the weapon will be wrestled away from you by the mob.

First, I have no experience in this type of conflict, just an active imagination. I think I would prefer to have a high capacity magazine pistol than a rifle. The pistol is on me, a spare magazine is on me, two more magazines are in the door. The pistol is much more maneuverable inside the vehicle than a long gun. They have to get in the truck to get to me. Just my personal preference when dealing with a "whites of their eyes" situation, YMMV.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JWF,

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
I envision a senerio like the news videos several months ago where a group of yoots took control of an intersection and started a riot. OK, now you come through with several cars in train and get blocked in. You now have to get out of the car, open the trunk and retrieve your long gun. As soon as you get out, you are in trouble, as soon as you open the trunk the weapon will be wrestled away from you by the mob.

First, I have no experience in this type of conflict, just an active imagination. I think I would prefer to have a high capacity magazine pistol than a rifle. The pistol is on me, a spare magazine is on me, two more magazines are in the door. The pistol is much more maneuverable inside the vehicle than a long gun. They have to get in the truck to get to me. Just my personal preference when dealing with a "whites of their eyes" situation, YMMV.

P320 tac ops 21+1 capacity would do the trick with 10 extra mags in the center console Big Grin but then I guess if the fear is it getting stolen then 10 Sig mags probably costs just as much as a cheap AR lol... o well I guess I'm unprepared if SHTF I'm dead :-/

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
When I was downtown in major cities, I kept an AR and Ammo in a case, cable locked to the vehicle.

If there is a riot, etc, it's doubtful you'd be able to drive out of the cities I was in.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fully loaded ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
fully loaded ?

Yep, it's fully loaded. I get the pistol first and that's always on me. That would be first used in any event.
I would try to leave and like I said, this is for being blocked in or unable to leave or retreat.
I think I saw the video of the intersection violence. That's what this would be for if the pistol didn't work or went dry.

posted Hide Post
Do your local laws allow for having a round chambered in a long gun carried in that manner? You may want to double check.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
Do your local laws allow for having a round chambered in a long gun carried in that manner?

FWIW, Colorado does not.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
Do your local laws allow for having a round chambered in a long gun carried in that manner? You may want to double check.

Good call. Seems I am in violation of the law.
I can put the magazines inside the car and carry the rifle in the trunk but they cannot be together and no round in the chamber.
Kinda weird that you're allowed to carry a handgun fully loaded and not a rifle. Oh well, I'll remedy the situation.

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Fight to your rifle.

The fight will begin and end with what you have in your hands. Fight to your rifle is a scenario that has not occurred outside of a range. I was in Mississippi for the after math of Katrina. It does make an okay course of fire where use of cover and individual movement techniques are practiced, but history says your self defense shooting is going to be 3 shots fired at 3 yards in 3 seconds with what is on you at the time.

That said, you are going to want to keep this thing out of the hands of criminals as it getting stolen out of your vehicle is far far far more likely than you deploying the rifle in a righteous self defense situation. Electronic locks can allow fast access while being secure.
link

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure some people in the LA Riots might have gotten to a stored rifle. Similarly, folks in NO did patrols etc to keep thugs out of their neighborhoods.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post