SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    What to do about Maryland and DC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do about Maryland and DC Login/Join 
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted
There is a high likelihood that starting in 2019, I will be spending at least two weeks per month in the commie state and the swamp. Work wants me there. I don't want to go but the money is pretty amazing. DC will require a metro ride into town from Fairfax, VA. Bethesda and Baltimore will be my stops in MD. Those I will be driving to and staying in the best Hampton Inn around.

I have spent some times on Handgunlaws.us and have a good understanding of the laws. I am basically screwed on my day trips into the swamp from a CCW standpoint. MD is a confusing mess of what I can do. Basically my deduction is no CCW, keep it in the trunk unloaded and I can have it in my hotel room is my only option and even that is suspect.

I am looking from advice from y'all on what I can carry. I always have a pocket knife and that will not change even though it seems a little sketchy in DC and MD. What else should I have on me? i will be wearing a suit and carrying a laptop bag.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can you carry any non lethal weapons in those areas?

Posts: 28 | Location: Naples Fl | Registered: January 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
What else should I have on me?

A rape whistle.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Ok Fenris, that was funny. Since you are in No VA, what do you do when you go to DC?

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok Fenris, that was funny. Since you are in No VA, what do you do when you go to DC?

1. I don't go.
2. When I do go, I carry nothing but a smile and my charming personality.

I don't think even pepper spray is allowed.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
You’ll have to suck it up and deal. In DC empty brass, let alone unregistered ammunition or god forbid an actual firearm will get you jammed up hard. Total BS but the way it is.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Wow, who did you piss off to get that assignment?

Unless you are DRIVING THROUGH the state and stay only on federal highways, you are not permitted to have a gun in your vehicle. It's pretty much like DC: they don't want you or your guns in the "Free State." Note the irony.

Here's the best link I know that covers reciprocity (Maryland has NONE), and what you must do if you want to obtain a "Wear and Carry" license. The pertinent sentence is, I think, this: While Maryland is very restrictive for an individual applying with out a Good and Substantial reason. If a resident or non-resident has a business interest in Maryland and can meet the criteria and documentation
required, then Maryland will issue the Wear and Carry license and restrict it to while conducting that business activity.”

http://handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I was recruited to take on the endeavor. It sucks a little but the doubling of my pay makes it worth the suck...

I guess a nice 4 D cell maglite and a lot of prayer is in my future.

posted Hide Post
This is better than harsh words.

https://www.galls.com/asp-12-c...-on-expandable-baton

...and probably illegal in DC.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was recruited to take on the endeavor. It sucks a little but the doubling of my pay makes it worth the suck...

I guess a nice 4 D cell maglite and a lot of prayer is in my future.

I've lived in the D.C. suburbs for over thirty-five years and never had a reason to wish I'd had a gun on me. I have Virginia and Utah CC permits, but basic common sense in gun-hostile environments is all it takes.

There are something like 26 different law enforcement agencies in D.C. They all carry guns. You're generally closer to a gun-wielding LEO there than anywhere else (I'm not saying they're properly trained, but they ARE packing). If you stay out of gang territory or the crack house neighborhoods, the worst you'll get are the ever-present panhandlers, who are crazy, but harmless.

But if your business requires you to be in gang territory or crack house neighborhoods, my prayers are with you.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an instructor and do classes for both DC and MD.

If you've been studying the handgunlaw.us pages on DC, I'm sure you're aware that DC is now a "shall issue" jurisdiction as a result of several lawsuits. If you meet the requirements and pass their background check, you WILL get a DC permit. You no longer have to have a good reason. Training requirements are tedious: 18 hours of instruction, to include a DC law briefing, 2 hours of range instruction and a scored range session. Once you have a permit, there are cumbersome rules to keep up with: all handguns carried must be registered with DC in order to carry them. Register one for free when you apply for a permit, $13 for each additional firearm. You cannot have any magazines with capacity exceeding 10 rounds. You can carry one magazine in the firearm plus one additional magazine. Max number of rounds on your person is two magazines plus one round not to exceed 20 rounds total. That could be 10 rounds in the magazine, plus one in the chamber, plus a second 10 round magazine with 9 rounds. Nothing like NC or VA, but it IS doable. Also, DON'T follow the instructions on DC's website as that will simply drag out the process over a longer time. Get training out of the way before you submit anything to DC.

MD training requirements are similar (16 hours, plus range training and scored range session). MD is still a "may issue" jurisdiction, and you will have to provide a "good reason" but the list of things that constitute a "good reason" has expanded greatly under Governor Hogan. Although the process is onerous, and there are no guarantees with MD ("may issue" after all), but a significant percentage of the people who take my classes do get a MD permit.

Shoot me an email at mark.discovershooting@gmail.com and I'll try to help, if at all possible.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maryland and DC

Avoid at all costs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Possibly carry an unbreakable umbrella. Impressive videos.

www.unbreakableumbrella.com/

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe gets some martial arts stick training and walk with a cane?

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Aren’t pepper spray and Tasers both allowed in DC?
https://mpdc.dc.gov/page/mace-...sprays-and-stun-guns

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pingman274:
Aren’t pepper spray and Tasers both allowed in DC?
https://mpdc.dc.gov/page/mace-...sprays-and-stun-guns

Yes, pepper spray and stun guns are legal in DC, including Tasers. DC lost a court case on this point and decided not to spend the money to appeal to SCOTUS. Probably would have lost the case anyway, so the city council simply repealed the ordinances prohibiting possession of those items.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Carry a big ass framing hammer in your briefcase, with a small pack of nails, and a photo of your wife. You just want to put your wife's picture up on your office wall, right?

You can hammer the hell out of a lot of "problems" should the need arise.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I could have sworn you mentioned your love of knitting a while back...I love knitting too... or at least the requisite equipment. Long knitting needles and scissors...

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
Being a MD native, I’d be ok with building a wall around both leftist utopias.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post