SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    AiWB yea or nay?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AiWB yea or nay? Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
I have read negative comments about AIWB.

They sound valid.

I carry a G19 in a LOBO holster.

It is so constructed to cover/prevent accidental access to the trigger.

Does this arrangement eliminate any negative traits?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I used to be one of the "negative commenters" back in the day. Don't know how many times I posted the "shoot your weiner off" BS.

Then I started carrying appendix. Now, I even carry appendix at work. So much more comfortable. So much faster. As long as you are careful on the reholster and you have a holster designed for AIWB, you'll have no issues.

Also, just as a point of order, as popular as AIWB is in this country, blood isn't running red in the streets like some claim will happen (including me). Very, very few instances of negligence in holstering are reported on the interwebz.

I was wrong about AIWB.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that AIWB is like any other type of carry. Belt / holster / pistol size /practice are all part of whether or not it works, and works safely for you.
For me, I just have not found one that offers the level of comfort I need for all day (including driving) carry.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:

It is so constructed to cover/prevent accidental access to the trigger.

Does this arrangement eliminate any negative traits?

Wouldn't that describe all holsters, not just AIWB specific?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Argee
posted Hide Post
I carry my LCR357 IWB Appendix. But with my Sig P365XL with manual safety. I find it a little long for sitting comfort..moved it to 3 o'clock.. seems to work there.

Posts: 13 | Location: Probably Out Back At The Shooting Range | Registered: May 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Yea for me. It's more comfortable and the firearm is more accessible versus a 3/4 o'clock position.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me as a convert. I have back and SI joint issues, so 3/4 o'clock doesn't work for me anymore. So that leaves either pocket or AIWB. I now carry my manual safety 365 in a Zorn Skinny Rig and it disappears. With practice the draw is faster for me than when I was carrying 3/4. That isn't to say its for everybody, but I'm comfortable with my setup.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
For me it’s a little more concealable and easier to access quickly. I carry a a Glock 19 in a Bravo Concealment holster.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Argee
posted Hide Post
I just changed the angle of the belt clip on my P365XL. The nose of the gun now points more towards the groin but has more room. When I sit it's comfortable and doesn't rub now.

Posts: 13 | Location: Probably Out Back At The Shooting Range | Registered: May 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Thanks people.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have the stupid sporty seats in my car which blocks owb/iwb hip carry. Aiwb works great.

Just remember to put your seatbelt behind the gun (against your body). You don’t want a gun imprint in case of crash.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I carry this way all the time, and have for some time. It is much more accessible in a greater variety of situations. The "you'll shoot your 'junk' off" business is way overblown. OK, the gun does point at your "junk" when you sit down, but if you need to draw while sitting (e.g., a carjacking) just be careful, and there is never any hurry to re-holster. How "safe" is it if you can't get to your gun when you really need it? This is an aspect of safety nobody seems to talk about.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very, very few instances of negligence in holstering are reported on the interwebz.

It might be promoting greater safety by being more aware and able to see what you're doing, that no intervening objects might get snagged.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Yea for me as well. Good commentary above. Also, taking a class in/around vehicles will show you the virtues of AIWB if you're not carrying open on your belt. Getting to a gun while hooked in a seatbelt is an eye-opening gear check, IMO.

I can conceal a full sized 2011 AIWB in an LAS concealment holster. It's actually perfectly comfortable.

As said above, holster and belt selection are really important. I've tried a lot of styles of AIWB and only recently found the LAS concealment, which works better than any AIWB I've tried for any smaller gun (320 compact, G19, G26) with a beast of a 2011.

All that said, I am more leery any time I reholster a striker fired gun than the 1911/2011.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it conceals extremely well, but I can't get comfortable with it mentally so it's not for me.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan. I heard all the bullshit for a long time and it kept me from trying it. Finally have it a shot and have found it to be my preferred carry method. I think there are large benefits in concealability, weapon retention/protection, and draw speed. A good holster makes all the difference.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Yea for me as well. Good commentary above. Also, taking a class in/around vehicles will show you the virtues of AIWB if you're not carrying open on your belt. Getting to a gun while hooked in a seatbelt is an eye-opening gear check, IMO.

I can conceal a full sized 2011 AIWB in an LAS concealment holster. It's actually perfectly comfortable.

As said above, holster and belt selection are really important. I've tried a lot of styles of AIWB and only recently found the LAS concealment, which works better than any AIWB I've tried for any smaller gun (320 compact, G19, G26) with a beast of a 2011.

All that said, I am more leery any time I reholster a striker fired gun than the 1911/2011.[/QUOTE

I'd be interested in hearing why you feel more comfortable carrying a 1911 aiwb than carrying a striker fired gun. Is it during reholstering that you are concerned about or something else? I'd be very concerned about carrying a 1911 aiwb. I edc a G23 aiwb with no concern. What am I missing here?

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's almost certainly because of the manual safety. That is commonly cited as a "must" for some people in appendix carry.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
A stock Glock is the last gun I'd carry AIWB. No hammer, no safety, nothing to stop it from going bang if something gets caught in the trigger.

At minimum, get the striker control device thingy that replaces the striker cover, and lets you feel if the striker is starting to move, and block it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
If you have a short waist to groin measurement, forget about it. It will be impossible to sit unless you are carrying a tiny little mouse gun.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post