SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Bruce Nelson Combat Leather
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bruce Nelson Combat Leather Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
As you may know, Erik Little of Rafter-L Combat Leather has revived the Bruce Nelson Combat Leather line, using the original patterns of the late Mr. Nelson.

Bruce Nelson is, among other qualities and achievements, the father of the famed “Summer Special” IWB holster design, and it’s this revived holster that I recently purchased via Jason Burton’s Heirloom Precision (one of the few outlets for BNCL goods - the other two being Milt Sparks Holsters and Wilson Combat). Being a longtime fan of the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2, I was curious about the original holster - and it has not disappointed.

I thought I’d share a few pics of the new holster. The revived BNCL line has been written-up nicely in the Jan-Feb 2020 issue of “Combat Handguns” on shelves now, and you can read much more about the history and the current plans for BNCL at:

http://brucenelson.com/

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
That indeed looks like a high quality and aesthetically pleasing rig! Nice photographs.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of that style of holster, but the work looks pretty damned good.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A big fan of the Sparks SS II here, do you think the single loop is as good as the dual loop as on the SS II? Seems to me the dual loop offers several advantages, namely security and stability over the single loop. But it sure is a nice piece of leather you got there. Yes sir, it sure is.

Posts: 127 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Love it. Thank you for sharing. I wish it was made for my glock 43.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by druryj:
A big fan of the Sparks SS II here, do you think the single loop is as good as the dual loop as on the SS II? Seems to me the dual loop offers several advantages, namely security and stability over the single loop. But it sure is a nice piece of leather you got there. Yes sir, it sure is.

Those were exactly my concerns about the SS vs the SS2, as I’m also a long-time fan of the SS2.

No stability issues thus far at all - the holster just stays right in place even with the single loop. It rides a little higher than the SS2 does. The 2 conceals better for me under a T-shirt or golf / polo shirt, I believe due its lower ride.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

Thank you. The Milt Sparks SS (vs the BNCL SS) may indeed be available for your G43.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I will check with them. I have an SSII but like the SS.

quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

Thank you. The Milt Sparks SS (vs the BNCL SS) may indeed be available for your G43.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The current manufacturer is www.combatgunleather.com
The Summer special has the 2 belt loops.
Price is $190
He’s NOT taking new orders

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
The current manufacturer is www.combatgunleather.com
The Summer special has the 2 belt loops.
Price is $190
He’s NOT taking new orders

Yep, that’s the website for Erik Little / Rafter-L holsters. While the Rafter-L Summer Special has two loops (as does the SS from Milt Sparks), the SS crafted by Erik Little under the revived Bruce Nelson Combat Leather line has one as shown.

My SS, purchased from Jason Burton’s Heirloom Precision, ran $225. From what I can tell, there’s not much (if any) advance notice of when one of the participating retailers will have stock on-hand. The BNCL line is something Erik Little is running alongside his Rafter-L business, from what I’ve read.

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
That looks like all business.

Super classy.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
That looks like all business.

Super classy.

Thank you!

posted Hide Post
Somewhat refreshing and somewhat nostalgic in the age of kydex. True high quality leather is great stuff.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Somewhat refreshing and somewhat nostalgic in the age of kydex. True high quality leather is great stuff.

I agree all-around! Smile

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed. However, we've gotta get the leatherworkers on board with light-compatible holsters. A number of folks (myself included) love high quality leather holsters, but also prefer to carry with a weaponlight. So I end up having to settle for carrying in kydex nearly all the time, due to the dearth of custom leather holster makers who offer holsters that accommodate lights. And all my nice custom leather holsters just sit around collecting dust.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Looks really good. If I was in the market for a 1911 holster this would be it.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Agreed. However, we've gotta get the leatherworkers on board with light-compatible holsters. A number of folks (myself included) love high quality leather holsters, but also prefer to carry with a weaponlight. So I end up having to settle for carrying in kydex nearly all the time, due to the dearth of custom leather holster makers who offer holsters that accommodate lights. And all my nice custom leather holsters just sit around collecting dust.

A good point - indeed, not many leather rigs in seeing are rail- / light-compatible.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
Looks really good. If I was in the market for a 1911 holster this would be it.

Thank you - it’s truly a winner for me. I recently grabbed a 40-ish-year-old original BNCL Summer Special, as well. If one was good, two must be better, right? :-)

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by druryj:
...do you think the single loop is as good as the dual loop as on the SS II? Seems to me the dual loop offers several advantages, namely security and stability over the single loop.

You have to remember that the original BN Summer Special was designed to be worn in the AIWB position

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post