SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Alabama Carry Laws (Specifically Mobile, AL)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alabama Carry Laws (Specifically Mobile, AL) Login/Join 
Picture of Stovepipe
posted
I’m heading to Mobile, Alabama at the end of the month for a wedding and tourism and need to get a grip on their carry laws using a TN permit. I tried calling their Sheriff’s Dept, police dept, the state’s Hwy Patrol and handgun carry license issuing department and no one can (will) help except to give me another number to call. Internet searches are outdated, questionable or vague. Surely it’s not that complicated...

Is anyone here able to shed a little light on basics of Alabama carry laws, and any unique laws regarding Mobile?

Basically:

- Concealed Carry or open carry? I carry concealed, but what happens if I print or otherwise expose my pistol?

- Carry in City and State parks?

- Can I carry in a restaurants or bars that serve alcohol (I won’t be drinking)

- Church carry?

-Prohibited places?

- Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Tennessean's Unite!
http://www.tfaonline.org/

Posts: 320 | Registered: May 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf

Looks pretty current. Signs that say no firearms posted in places other that those spelled out have no force of law but if challenged by personnel at that establishment you must leave immediately or be guilty of trespassing Note the part about carrying where mentally ill may be treated pretty much covers all health establishments, doctor's offices and some even include dental offices so if you have a medical problem be sure and leave your gun behind. Printing is not an issue here unless you happen to be in a prohibited area. Follow good CCW practices and you will have no problems.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stovepipe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, but that's all legalese from Alabama's AG's website. I'm hoping for a simple man version of the rules.

Tennessean's Unite!

Picture of Stovepipe
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Low8.

So, from what I gather, unless the premises is posted, I can carry in restaurants, bars, grocery stores, shops, etc, without worrying about printing, or an occasional “nipple slip” exposing my weapon. Churches aren’t mentioned that I can tell, so can be included as ok places to carry unless posted.

State parks etc. are ok to carry. Any idea about carrying in city (Mobile’s) parks? (In TN, cities can make their own park carry rules)

If I get pulled over, it’s not required to present my permit, but it’s considered good practice to do so.

Is there anything I should know that I haven’t asked?

Tennessean's Unite!

Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Pretty much follow common sense and your Tenn laws. As a rule the State laws preempt all City and County laws but there is room for interpretation in some of them. If you stay concealed you should have no problem. Try to dress where you won't print or accidentally flash you weapon. Churches are pretty much governed by their own authority about carry. If you are going you might ask ahead about their policies. Just remember, if you go into a place that is posted and get caught then leave immediately otherwise you are guilty of trespassing. Legalize or not read what was posted in the link that was given you as it can save your butt. My interpretations and experience with them are no defense for you if I miss something. As to notifying law enforcement that is a spot decision only you can make at the time. As a general rule I have never had a problem either way but usually unless required I never declare. Alabama like Tennessee is a pretty gun friendly state.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any idea about carrying in city (Mobile’s) parks?

The state AG ruled that no municipal or state owned properties may supersede the state laws on carry. Parks are O.K. The AG even made the state rest areas take down their "NO WEAPONS" signs.

Conceal it and you will have no problems.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post