SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    I carried despite a TX 30.06 sign
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I carried despite a TX 30.06 sign Login/Join 
posted
Was that dumb? Foolish? Other?

Long story, but it's my first time in this state with a gun. We stopped for the night at a hotel in Houston and found a nearby Mexican restaurant. I noticed the sign as we walked in and knew what it meant, but I did not want to leave the LCP in the car. FWIW, I drank Diet Coke.

How do TX residents deal with this?

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who makes the occasional trip across the Red River I will say that concealed is concealed. However, when I travel to Texas I avoid places with that sign because the legal consequences can be a real pain.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
I too make occasional trips to Texas. Unlike most states the do not carry signs in Texas carry force of law and consequences can be rough. I have eaten cold sandwiches out of service station coolers in places where the only eatery were posted.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My best understanding is this, if caught they have to ask you to leave. If you refuse and PD is called it’s a misdemeanor. I don’t lose any sleep over the signs anymore. I DO try to give my business to places that do not have the stupid sign.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You will see a LOT of 30.07 (open carry) signs and some 30.06 signs (concealed carry) around especially restaurants.
Use common sense and you will be fine.
Common sense might be to not carry where they "wand" you or check you as in an event.
A lot of places have no idea what these signs are and what they don't know won't hurt you.
The penalty as mentioned above is not Draconian any more so it is better to be judged .... you know.
One only "allegedly" carries is these places anyway, right? Smile

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
My best understanding is this, if caught they have to ask you to leave. If you refuse and PD is called it’s a misdemeanor. I don’t lose any sleep over the signs anymore. I DO try to give my business to places that do not have the stupid sign.

Based on arfmel's link, it looks to me like you are guilty of a Class C misdemeanor simply for entering where legally posted, and a Class A misdemeanor if you don't leave after orally being asked to leave.

In NC, entering where posted has been reduced from a misdemeanor to an "infraction," and the sign can still be anything.

Don't know what impact a misdemeanor or infraction has on a CCW (like whether you lose it or if it affects renewal). Also don't know if your gun is confiscated while LE investigates.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Not a huge deal. While yes you’re in violation, as was noted above it’s a Class C Misdomeanor if asked to leave and you don’t. In your situation, I can see why you did it. Wouldn’t encourage it as a habit.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will not bring my LCP on to Ft Hood, and I did not bring it into the GW Bush Library at SMU, a federal facility (NARA) where they had metal detectors. I did carry into Dallas' 6th Floor/Dealey Plaza/JFK Museum, where the door had a no guns symbol but not the 30.06 sign.

Other than reducing chances of a lawsuit for a business with a sign, does 30.06 accomplish anything? Good guys will either obey the sign or ignore it and not shoot anyone, bad guys ignore signs and laws.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Other than reducing chances of a lawsuit for a business with a sign, does 30.06 accomplish anything? Good guys will either obey the sign or ignore it and not shoot anyone, bad guys ignore signs and laws.
That's about it, but IDK the impact on liability. I suspect it has little to none but rather a corporate or individual dislike of guns. Maybe JHE will see this and elaborate on reducing liability.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same. I don’t care anymore and don’t open carry. My Church has both signs on one entrance but not all entrances so I ignore.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do TX residents deal with this?

I don't read real good these days. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Concealed is concealed.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Depends on your job also. If your LEO there is a FEDERAL law stating you can be armed, and no local nor state law can over ride that. I dont know if you are LEO, but its nice to remember a fellow officer will not ticket or arrest you for it, since under FEDERAL law your doing nothing wrong. Until you start drinking

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Depends on your job also. If your LEO there is a FEDERAL law stating you can be armed, and no local nor state law can over ride that.

That is not accurate. I strongly urge you to better acquaint yourself with LEOSA if you plan on carrying off duty.

(IIRC, you aren't even certified yet; just a jailer. So you'll hopefully have a chance to get some training on it before you do become a certified LEO and qualify for LEOSA.)

From https://leb.fbi.gov/articles/l...fficers-and-firearms

quote:
Limitations also exist as to where a concealed firearm may be carried. LEOSA exempts qualified officers from state laws limiting or prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons. However, LEOSA does not supersede state laws permitting private property owners from limiting or prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons on their property. This would include public bars, private clubs, and places, such as amusement parks. Nor does the act circumvent any state laws prohibiting carrying concealed weapons on state or local government property. Possible examples would be courthouses, schools, or parks.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 51% signs are to be taken very seriously, felony.

30.06, 30.07, and 51% are all stupid laws. Texas gun laws make zero sense.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
The 51% signs are to be taken very seriously, felony.

30.06, 30.07, and 51% are all stupid laws. Texas gun laws make zero sense.

I won't attempt to debate this point (tried in the past and it didn't end well). But what I will say is that Texas laws are built on a somewhat different principle that many other parts of the country. In this case it's the belief in the rights of property owners to use/enjoy their property how they see fit. This extends to owners' ability to decide whether to allow handguns on their property. Not that I'm defending their choice, but I will defend their right to make it. In the end it makes it easy for me to decide where to spend my money.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 51% is total BS. All it takes is a stand alone alcohol vendor at a premise/property owned by a governmental entity that would otherwise be barred from posting and restricting carrying to transform it to an off limits place. I’ve seen this across the state at many fairgrounds and stadiums/convention centers. Doesn’t matter that as a whole the property isn’t bringing in more than 51% of sales from alcohol, all that matters is that one licensed vendor with a contract to supply/serve that facility makes more than 51% on alcohol. Can’t prove it but I suspect many places strategically do this to skirt the law.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:

Based on arfmel's link, it looks to me like you are guilty of a Class C misdemeanor simply for entering where legally posted, and a Class A misdemeanor if you don't leave after orally being asked to leave.

In NC, entering where posted has been reduced from a misdemeanor to an "infraction," and the sign can still be anything.

Don't know what impact a misdemeanor or infraction has on a CCW (like whether you lose it or if it affects renewal). Also don't know if your gun is confiscated while LE investigates.
Yes, they reduced the penalty, and a conviction for this will no longer make you ineligible for an LTC. And while a class c misdemeanor is pretty mild (most speeding tickets are c misdemeanors, you could still wind up with a conviction for a gun-related misdemeanor. I'd not want to find out what consequences that might have on my life.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Depends on your job also. If your LEO there is a FEDERAL law stating you can be armed, and no local nor state law can over ride that. I dont know if you are LEO, but its nice to remember a fellow officer will not ticket or arrest you for it, since under FEDERAL law your doing nothing wrong. Until you start drinking

Read the LEOSA very carefully! The LEOSA does not override all state/local laws and restrictions.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post