SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Mika Holsters...super impressed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mika Holsters...super impressed Login/Join 
Picture of jcat
posted
So I'll preface this by saying I don't actually have the holster yet. I just ordered it the other day, but I just have to post this because I've not experienced anything like it.

I ordered a Mika pocket holster to fit my new 442. Never tried pocket carry, and his holsters get rave reviews everywhere I looked.

I placed the order on Thursday at 16:33 EST. At 18:20 EST, I received a phone call from a blocked number. I typically don't answer these but picked up this time. Shocked to find that it was actually Robert Mika himself, calling to personally thank me for my order and talk a bit about how I found him, and if I had any questions for him. Pleasant individual to speak to, and that's the kind of customer service you don't see much any longer.

I'm certain the holster will be exceptional, but even if it were to turn out to be marginal, he's already earned a long-term customer just from that itself. I recommend going to Mr. Mika if you need a pocket holster for sure. It's a long wait, but if his holsters are anything like his customer service, it'll be worth it.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one he made for me several years ago.
I didn't get a phone call but he wrote in it my name, his name, and what weapon it was made to fit.
First class all the way.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan too. I'm on the second one for my LCP, and I have one for my 442, and one for my LCR. They're really hard to beat for pocket carry.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Heiduke
posted Hide Post
I carried a one of Bob's armor holsters for years and currently have another on order. No complaints from me or any of the colleagues I've recommended him to. Great product at about 1/2 what he Should charge.

"We should bring back dueling, it would improve manners."
-Ed Abbey

Posts: 794 | Location: In the woods | Registered: April 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Mika...class act. I wish I needed more of his stuff.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few of his pocket holsters, and as mentioned above he wrote my name, model, and his name on the inside. I'm about to order one more as well, you can't beat them at that price point regardless.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two, round and squared pocket. Best pocket holster i have owned. Going on 6 years now.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Big Wes
posted Hide Post
Just stumbled on this thread and have to add my $.02 worth.I have two Mica Holsters square and round for my J-frames . I've had them for 10+ years, excellent product and as mentioned above written on the inside of both.

Another pocket holster that has served me well over the years is the Kramer horsehide pocket holster.

Posts: 44 | Registered: December 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My LCP BUG rides in one. They aren't much to look at, but they do what they're supposed to do. Too many pocket holster makers think the holster needs to retain the gun and fit it too tightly, and/or make it so you have to use special techniques to draw the gun without having the holster come up with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, it's been more than 20 years since I've used Chief Mika's pocket holsters. When I first purchased them I think they were less than $20.00.

Round cut, IWB, CD. Anything from a Walther PP to a S&W 1006. Not particularly inclined of using them in the pocket, especially with a thing like the 1006. Sort of an oxymoron because it was designed by him as a pocket holster. But it worked better for my intended use than his "regular" IWB designs.

As a pocket holster it sure beats other designs. Namely, as to safety, ease of use, and rapid deployment.

Fwiw, I remember sending him templates of the handguns for which I ordered some because he didn't have them on file. Smile

Chief Mika is quite personable, a great guy to deal with.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Hate to be a contrarian, but I never warmed up to mine. I remember pocket carrying with cargo shorts a few years back. I was laying down/sitting up in a an outdoor chaise-type chair by the pool and one of the kids threw me a football. I just leaned over to the side a bit and out falls the 442 on the pool deck...

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
Hate to be a contrarian, but I never warmed up to mine. I remember pocket carrying with cargo shorts a few years back. I was laying down/sitting up in a an outdoor chaise-type chair by the pool and one of the kids threw me a football. I just leaned over to the side a bit and out falls the 442 on the pool deck...

Were you carrying in the cargo pocket?

I never trusted a cargo pocket rig, no matter the maker. Too much room to move about. I prefer the friction in a regular pocket. I've ran, chased, fought, and rolled around with a PM9 in a pocket for years. Never had an issue.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
No, I was carrying in the right front pocket. However, cargo type shorts have pockets that are just a little bigger than normal and the Mika was just not form fiting to tbe gun. I'm not knocking it, I'm juat saying it did not work for me with the shorts I was wearing. I assume it would work better with jeans or normal tighter pockets.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
When I was a LEO I learned about Mika pocket holsters back in the 1980's. Thereafter, I carried my J-frame S&W BUGs in one virtually every time I worked a uniform assignment until I retired in 2008. They're simple, practically indestructible, protect the firearm well and provide easy access. Did I mention the fact that they're a great bargain too? Bob's a good guy (even though he is former LAPD Wink), but I don't hold that against him as I usually carry my Roger LCP in one of his front pocket holsters during real hot weather conditions.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post