SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Flying into and Carrying in Alaska
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying into and Carrying in Alaska Login/Join 
posted
Hello friends,

Thinking about taking a trip to Alaska and wondering if anyone has ever CCW'd while there.

My state has reciprocity. Looks good to go, just thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks as always

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Others can tell you about CCW, but there is a sort of quarantine in effect that may limit your travels, gun or not:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...ng-the-results-isnt/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Alaska doesn't require a permit for CCW, or at least they didn't when I went up there six years ago.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The gun will not be a problem, it's Covid 19 that makes it challenging for visitors to Alaska and Hawaii:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/...rus-airport-testing/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I travel to Anchorage and environs a couple or more times a year, and as all have said a gun isn't a problem or even a hassle. It's also not a social problem. Once outside Anchorage it isn't even a bit unusual to see open carry routinely, not everyone of course, but a noticeable number. At gas stations, stores, marinas...

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even walking into a bank is not an issue, at least when far from Anchorage. Do not know about downtown banks.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Concealed carry is allowed here without a permit. Last flight up here when I did bring additional firearms, there was a lot more harassment and inconvenience by the TSA in Phoenix for check-in.

Currently it's not firearms that will be an obstacle in travel to Alaska, it's covid and quarantine. The state allows an exception for travelers who have had a negative test result 72 hours before travel. They also have testing at the airport with quarantine until test results. Unfortunately test results are taking a few days. With no testing it is a 14 day quarantine.

City of Anchorage ha gone beyond state regulations for visitors staying in Anchorage. Testing before, testing 36 hours post arrival and quarantine in between. The mayor has thoroughly compounded the problem with his requirements. Waits for testing at the drive-thru center are now 4-6 hours and results are taking 3-4 days.

There could be additional restrictions on where you are traveling to. A lot of the remote villages require a negative test before travel there. As mentioned Anchorage is more restrictive than the state for travel as well as requiring masks. Seward is currently enforcing additional restrictions as well.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Testing is at the airport; one line for essential workers, everyone else in another. You're under quarantine until your test comes back. Masks anywhere in public. Alternately, you can have a test within five days of travel, and you can do the paperwork online, on your phone, before departure to Anchorage. If you have the test before travel, you don't need to test there, and don't get quarantined.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post